Alli

Tuesday Numbers | Incredibles 2 ~ 27M

I'd say Disney cares the most about Avatar as far as the film stuff goes with Fox. They know the movies are going to make a killing OS regardless of what happens DOM, and they spent hundreds of millions to build Avatar land in one of their theme parks. They definitely want the IP at this point. 

6 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Sky TV is Comcast's prime motivator. 

Wonder about Star India, it is around 750m subscriber and growing:

https://www.exchange4media.com/media-tv/star-india-reports-double-digit-growth-leads-to-growth-in-fox-revenue_87101.html

Was valued around 14b to 16b, around 25% of the total Century Fox value. There is so much room for growth in those TV market.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Belle said:

Tickets these days cost so much more these days, iirc they said last year ticket sales were down but in terms of money it was as much or bigger iirc, You have 3D, imax, Imax 3D, special seats,  whatever other gimmick there is. And the overseas markets have grown so much in recent years.

The numbers will always get bigger and these box office records have as much weight as any other record. 2B also isn't the new billion yet because unless you're Avatar you still need a big performance both domestically and overseas. 

That said, as already mentioned in an age of internet, expensive tickets and franchises, this trend of big numbers makes sense as large groups of people are probably only gonna go see one or two big movies per year and then pirate or not give two craps about everything else. Nostalgia helps too. Many movie that have made near or past 500M domestic since 2015 have been based on IPs that many people want to see due to nostalgia and cross-generational appeal (Jurassic World, Finding Dory, Rogue One, Beauty and the Beast, Force Awakens, and Incredibles 2 once it gets past that mark). 

I remember when titanic and ROTK were the only 2 movies to have made 1b. Now we have 3 over 2b. It used to be reserved for that huge event movie e.g IW, TFA and avatar. 2b is definitely the new billion.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I'd say Disney cares the most about Avatar as far as the film stuff goes with Fox. They know the movies are going to make a killing OS regardless of what happens DOM, and they spent hundreds of millions to build Avatar land in one of their theme parks. They definitely want the IP at this point. 

MCU gets a 10-20 year extension and Marvel get to pump out “new” product lines. Disney gains control of one of the most important and well known animated properties of all time through The Simpsons. IP and films dating back to 1935, with the way Disney treat and market their animated classics it’ll be very interesting to see what they do with all the Fox stuff (All About Eve is gonna be locked in the Disney Vault with an overpriced 4K rerelease in 2022).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

China growth goes quite toward them (same for Malaysia, Brazil, Singapore, Hong Kong, etc...), would be good to track those if possible:

https://greenash.net.au/thoughts/2011/07/world-domination-by-box-office-cinema-admissions/

Ideally we would talk in MPAA studio world market or US production if we would have those numbers.

Just for the MPAA studio

Domestic-vs-international-box-office-ave

There share of the global box office trend, if we compare them in the world domestic vs intl market size trend it could give an idea.

IF was 50/50 in 2003 and the world box office was of 20.3b with 9.24b domestic, so 45.5/54.5% split in world box office, 50/50 for the MPAA studios. By gross assumption the MPAA is making almost 100% of the domestic, they would have had a 91% world market share.

In 2016 was around 38.6b global with a 11.38 domestic, a 30/70 for the split in world box office vs 36/64 for the MPAA studios box office.

Using the same gross assumptions, 82% of the world market share.

Their world share slipped a little bit with the big China local industry, would have too think to make a better ratio, but we could say they only have around 90% of the world market share they had in 2003.

Oliver has the China % Hollywood and DOM split listed. It's has been over 50% for Chinese DOM release for a long time now.

1 hour ago, AJG said:

Timing. If the deal passes and closes in December it’ll be a struggle to remove the film from cinemas, deals would’ve been done, promo would already be heavy. 

But if Disney is in control BEFORE December then I think Dark Phoenix is getting the Cloverfield treatment.

New Mutants is a done deal because even if the deal closes at the latest date possible there’s still enough time to yank it out of cinemas.

IMO, the movie has already been yanked internally a long time ago. 

Honestly out of the Comcast vs Disney on who should get Fox, I’d still think Disney’s the best hands given Fox is being sold either way.

1. Disney is strictly media, Comcast is not, so we’re getting vertical and horizontal integration from the Comcast deal versus just horizontal integration from Disney.

2. I think Disney’s more likely to utilize all of the studios.  Searchlight fills a niche they don’t have, for example, not true with Comcast.

3. I think the franchises being bought work better with Disney, and will have a better chance of success with them. 

4. If Disney can use Fox to create a competitive streaming program, that at least compensates the loss of theatrical competition by adding competition to the streaming industry.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, pepsa said:

Oliver has the China % Hollywood and DOM split listed. It's has been over 50% for Chinese DOM release for a long time now.

The link I provided showed 56.6% in 2010 of China box office was Chinesse so probably always has been ?, a market a bit similar to say France that tend to have 50% of Euro box office.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Incredible Panda said:

2. I think Disney’s more likely to utilize all of the studios.  Searchlight fills a niche they don’t have, for example, not true with Comcast.

Not sure how good the chance for the Fox lot either way, but I would imagine Disney will sell it or not really use it.

Searchlight feel very safe too with Disney.

Disney used to have their niche studio too but it just wasn't profitable at all, like most of these indie/arthouse divisions. That's the only worry I have about this acquisition.

Other than that, fun with X-Men and F4 Kevin! Please don't ruin Deadpool though.

16 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Not sure how good the chance for the Fox lot either way, but I would imagine Disney will sell it or not really use it.

Searchlight feel very safe too with Disney.

Disney isn't buying the Fox lot. That stays with New Fox. Disney will be leasing the Fox lot for I believe 5 years though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rebeccas said:

Disney used to have their niche studio too but it just wasn't profitable at all, like most of these indie/arthouse divisions. That's the only worry I have about this acquisition.

Part of that though was the way Weinstein ran Miramax. When Weinstein left, Disney had no interest in Miramax anymore. However, an arthouse division will be useful with the streaming service, so there is a need for Fox Searchlight.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Incredible Panda said:

That’s actually a pretty good deal, especially since you can get Dolby.  Plus, you don’t have to worry about AMC going under like MP

I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee your avatar. Can i steal it for my twitter account? 

4 minutes ago, edmkh said:

I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee your avatar. Can i steal it for my twitter account? 

Sure, I didn’t really make it so it’s not necessarily mine to give, it’s just publicly available

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

I would price the Avatar franchise at around $30b

• Haha 1