Alli

Tuesday Numbers | Incredibles 2 ~ 27M

5 minutes ago, Jessie said:

It's hard to get impressed with these numbers when so many movies are smashing the box office lately. There comes a point where you have to question inflation. 2b is the new billion and 500m is the new 300m

Inflation didn't help 2016 then.

• Like 4

its a fair point though. If Incredibles 2 manages 600M then we'll have had four 600M movies within 6 months. That's quite a lot. and I agree it's difficult to be engaged by the amazing numbers.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jessie said:

It's hard to get impressed with these numbers when so many movies are smashing the box office lately. There comes a point where you have to question inflation. 2b is the new billion and 500m is the new 300m

This trend has been getting more pronounced for years now. Less and less minor hits, and more and more mega-hits. Due to several factors, the BO is getting more and more concentrated into very few mega-movies. 

• Like 1

I don’t think it’s inflation.  I think the market is shifting where people are demanding certain kinds of movies in theaters while getting the rest from streaming.

Its a top heavy market where the big, experience oriented franchise films still sell tickets whereas most midbudget films have more difficulty as there’s no benefit to seeing them in theaters, and in fact it’s relatively cheaper to stream them.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

It is running on par with RBG despite having less theaters.  It is looking to do 2.1 to 2.5M this weekend with the expansion.  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Jessie said:

I would say it's income gap among movie....the box office performance is getting more extreme and highly polarized, the movies bombs harder than before but succeed further than before.....

7 minutes ago, The Incredible Panda said:

I don’t think it’s inflation.  I think the market is shifting where people are demanding certain kinds of movies in theaters while getting the rest from streaming.

Its a top heavy market where the big, experience oriented franchise films still sell tickets whereas most midbudget films have more difficulty as there’s no benefit to seeing them in theaters, and in fact it’s relatively cheaper to stream them.  

This. 

And this is why I hope services like MoviePass or AMC Rewards stabilize and become more popular. I have seen so many films in theaters this year that I would have waited to stream otherwise. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

can AQP outgross Dunkirk? Both opened to 50m, and both are marching to 190m......

Dunkirk had a 2nd release which pushed it to 190.07 (from 188.05 earlier).

I wouldn't call $2B new $1B (maybe new $1B compared to early 2000s, yes)

In order for a movie to reach $2B, it need miracle in some countries. I'm not talking about record breaking, I'm talking about "miracle". Like IW breaking all time record by 70% in Brazil.

TFA has DOM & UK

IW has Brazil and several asian countries

Avatar has 10 countries over $100M

Edited by bladels

4 hours ago, bladels said:

People, when Mon is already too big, Tue increase will be muted or even decrease. This happens again and again with TA, JW, TFA, IW. 

Stop freaking out, $600M is likely imo.

In general that is fully true.

Bigger the phenomenom, less people wait to rebate tuesday.

Even for the people that do, they will not compensate for the giant amount that will have seen the movie anyway and now are getting a rebate for no reason to do it.