A Marvel Fanboy

Tron: Ares | October 10, 2025 | Jared Leto to star, Joachim Ronning to direct

I'm so sad by this. I liked Legacy, and I thought the "franchise" had a lot to offer. Who knows, maybe they'll revisit the project if they see the potential for new sci fi properties beyond Star Wars. Especially merchandising-wise.

• Like 2

Good. Tron 2 was rubbish.

Pretty sure Nicolas Cage, Diane Kruger, Justin Bartha, Jon Voight, Harvey Keitel, Helen Mirren, Sean Bean, and, of course, Jon Turteltaub would all be more than willing to use half the budget set aside for this and deliver a much more entertaining product.

Preach!

• Like 1

I'm disappointed

I'm guessing Disney was open to making it but couldn't decide on a reasonable budget

It has to be another reason.  Its Disney and a large budget Disappointment we are talking about so they where ready to green light at 190 and let budget overruns take it over 240. 

/jokes jokes.

Disney had been interested in adding Jared Leto to the cast, but an offer and negotiations had never commenced. - THR

Yeah known Box office legend Jared Leto was the difference between killing it and all the billions in box office and toys. 

Pretty sure Nicolas Cage, Diane Kruger, Justin Bartha, Jon Voight, Harvey Keitel, Helen Mirren, Sean Bean, and, of course, Jon Turteltaub would all be more than willing to use half the budget set aside for this and deliver a much more entertaining product.

Anyone know why this has not happened?  They made great money because they where one of the few franchises that you can bring the whole family to. 

This forum's continued demand for a third national treasure is straight-up embarrassing. goddamn.

Nicolas Cage is fabulous in National Treasure 2. Scenes by the French Statue of Liberty & Buckingham Palace, he goes 150% Nic Cage mode.

• Like 1

Time to say goodbye to the main forum Tron 3 :(

I agree with Kitik. Change the title to something more clear like "Disney cancels production, movie not going ahead" and keep it in the main forum for a couple of days so people know the news at least.

Not a fan of the second movie, but give the fans a chance to see the news.

• Like 1

This forum's continued demand for a third national treasure is straight-up embarrassing. goddamn.

with the collective budgets of Tomorrowland, Lone Ranger, and John Carter, they could've made National Treasures 3-7

And it's not like Tron 3 is any better than National Treasure 3 (or Sherlock Holmes 3 for that matter)

• Like 1

Wow, I'm SO disappointed! I can't believe Disney did this. Tomorrowland always seemed like a flop, I feel sad it had to affect this.

Kosinski has made a couple of visually stunning films, with excellent soundtracks, first working with Daft Punk and M83. For those that don't like the Tron franchise or Legacy, you still cannot deny that visually the film was stunning, and the soundtrack was a great achievement.

Purely for another chance to see Daft Punk do the soundtrack, combined with Kosinski's eye for amazing visuals, this should have been gone ahead. So if Disney never goes ahead with this, will they give up the rights for this ever? I wonder if another studio would be willing to greenlight this. I imagine Kosinski is not happy at all with Disney.

This move though unfortunately confirms the rumors about Disney; that they've become nothing more than a grotesque marketing/merchandising corporate machine. It's crystal clear now that Disney makes movies only to sell merchandise. Disney it seems could care less about the film itself. If it doesn't sell merchandise, it looks like Disney won't make a film now. What a sad company Disney has become. Over the last few years there has been a gradual decline in quality with a majority of Disney's tentpole films, with only a few exceptions.

It doesn't look like Disney will be supporting creativity or originality in the future for films. I'm guessing Brad Bird may jump ship from Disney as well. Granted I think Bird made a mistake in even making Tomorrowland, not to mention partnering with Lindelof, who's become box office poison for most scripts he touches.

All in all, what a mess, and what a sad day for film fans.

Edited by Gonk
  • Like 1