AndyK

Rub & Tug | Now a TV Series. ScarJo found dead in a ditch! | Trans Rights are Human Rights

47 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Not sure Gittes is saying that is necessarily okay to play a different sexual orientation or not ok to play a different gender.

It could depend of the director / project, Adam Sandler playing is twin sister himself or a Madea movie can be a very different artistic endeavor.

Yeah, I guess it's a different case too when no one is aiming for authenticity from the start.

5 minutes ago, Mulder said:

So it's fine for her to play someone she's not for Dante Gill but not for Abraham Lincoln? 🤔

Keep in mind she also looks nothing like the real Dante Gill.

I'm well aware of that and almost included that in my previous post. So if ScarJo actually looked like the real life person that'd make it better? My point is she actually COULD pass off as a transgender man, isn't the whole point that it's not about your outward appearance but how you feel inside? Whereas she could not pass off as Abraham Lincoln in any believable way, let's not be obtuse here.

26 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

if you wanted the latter system to work, all actors would need to disclose their sexuality practically as soon as they start working, and the world is not anywhere near that stage yet, and besides life and sexuality are messier than that anyway. 

And that sound illegal for an employer to ask someone sexual orientation and even more so to take it into account while giving a job in many jurisdiction.

2 hours ago, ChipMunky said:

Was assigned female at birth. They are male.

Looking at her profile, she was a lesbian that underwent a sex change operation.

Seems like a woman is ideal for the role.

So now actors will be now subject to genitalia examitation before taking a part ?

I like where this world is heading, full of tolerance, understanding and compassion. 

Poor Terry Gilliam, he was just scratching the surface 33 years ago in Brazil.

He didn't now the monster he was creating.

I call it Karma.

11 hours ago, AndyK said:

Looking at her profile, she was a lesbian that underwent a sex change operation.

Seems like a woman is ideal for the role.

I hope people get that this is literal transphobia right here

Roles like this do pose a challenge for casting though cause usually these biopics show the person pre and post-transition so casting someone who convincingly plays both sides of that is probably not that easy. I think The Danish Girl originally had Nicole Kidman attached for YEARS before it ended up being made with Eddie Redmayne in the role. And I mean, Scar Jo looked nothing like this person so she was just wrong from the start.

• Like 1

I think times have changed you can find people in such roles but I do not think that retroactively you can say movies that had characters not actually played by the type of people they are portraying is wrong or flawed though. 

Like seeing Sir Alec Guinness as an Arab prince in Lawrence of Arabia does not upset me and I am brown but you do that in 2018, I would find it a bit wrong. 

I still don't think a lot of you get the issue. Trans (and minority) actors don't get a lot of roles in general. When roles FINALLY come along that they could conceivably play, they get passed over still. If Trans (and minority) actors got parts all the time, and Hollywood wasn't just filled with white, straight, males and females, then there would be equality. But right now, there is not. It's not equal, so we need to make sure roles like this are cast accordingly.

• Like 3

I think white washing is more than a bit wrong. It's disgusting. Of course we can't change the past but we can do better now.

I'm not Trans so it's difficult for me to discuss this issue. Trans people should be at the forefront of talking about this issue not my Cis female ass. I do acknowledge that hiring a post op Trans person to play a pre-op Trans person is an issue. At the end of the day all I know is that Hollywood can't ignore Trans actors forever. You can't want to constantly use their stories for drama and awards and not let Trans actors ever play these characters. That is just wrong dude. Hire popular cis actors as supporting characters if you want STARS. 

Disclaimer: If you are Trans and noticed that I've incorrectly used some language related to this delicate subject please inform me of that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

I think times have changed you can find people in such roles but I do not think that retroactively you can say movies that had characters not actually played by the type of people they are portraying is wrong or flawed though. 

Like seeing Sir Alec Guinness as an Arab prince in Lawrence of Arabia does not upset me and I am brown but you do that in 2018, I would find it a bit wrong. 

For that era, Larwrence of Arabia was actually pretty authentic. I mean only one white-washed role in a cast with many POC is not bad for the 60s (lol and better than Exodus or Gods of Egypt from the 2000s). Although they tried to whitewash Omar Sharif's role except the French dude couldn't tolerate colored contact lenses.