YM!

Weekend Thread | Hotel 3 $44.1 Skyscraper 25.4, Ant Man’s size does matter with $28.8M

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

He might've been able to move past Twilight had he been able to, ya know, act.

Yup. He never seemed like he had the chops to pivot from Twilight to challenging roles in smaller films like his two co-stars did, nor the charisma and - again - ability to take chances that helped Channing Tatum overcome his early woodenness and have a financially and creatively successful career.

45 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

first one is meh, second one bad, third one only good one

19 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

co-sign

You guys have convinced me to watch HT3. I hope you’re happy with yourselves.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Astonished 1

Disney just passed Universal's epic 2015 DOM haul of $2.444 Billion. Yes, Disney busted that mark the next year, but three years ago, Universal's take was truly remarkable. And yes, in adjusted dollars, Disney 2018 is still a good $150m short of Universal's adjusted total of $2.603B. 

But still, to break the incredible Universal 2015 total in mid-July is pretty amazing even in nominal bucks.

Edited by SteveJaros
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, AJG said:

I saw the first one and it was crap (and also ended in the unforgivable sin of an animated dance sequence).

Does anyone know if the films get better?

Second one definitely has the aura that the animators didn't really want to make it, but were forced to because the first movie made a lot of money. It's probably the first time I didn't laugh at anything Andy Samberg said or did, which is saying a lot since Samberg's one of my favorite comedians ever.

Although admittedly, I am kinda excited for the third one. For whatever reason, it looks like with this movie, the animators are having a lot more fun and being more creative, and the cruise angle seems interesting.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Second one definitely has the aura that the animators didn't really want to make it, but were forced to because the first movie made a lot of money. It's probably the first time I didn't laugh at anything Andy Samberg said or did, which is saying a lot since Samberg's one of my favorite comedians ever.

Although admittedly, I am kinda excited for the third one. For whatever reason, it looks like with this movie, the animators are having a lot more fun and being more creative, and the cruise angle seems interesting.

This is the first of the three that Genndy Tartakovsky had a hand in writing, and he's much more invested in just having a good time coming up with amusing gags in a fresh setting than in rehashing dull emotional arcs in an old one. This one really has the best handle on what to do with the material. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

Probably more accurate to say that the biz doesn't care about him anymore.

Maybe it's mutual. 

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Horrendous for Skyscraper, that's just as bad as Baywatch. They're beyond lucky China eats that kind of movie up. And more evidence to suggest Jumanji's success might have had very little to do with the Rock's draw power. 

Nobody has draw power anymore its all about the brand and content. 

6 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Not more The Rock isn't really a star because he has a disappointment talk. Brad Pitt can't sell every film either and yet people don't like discussing that for some reason. The bias against The Rock here is overwhelming. 

In the '90s Brad had amazing films on his resume like Thelma & Louise, Se7en, Fight Club, 12 Monkeys to make up for the fact that he wasn't always a draw. The Rock is as good as his last hit. 

• Like 1