That One Girl

Midsommar | July 3, 2019 | Florence Pugh, Jack Reynor, Will Poulter | A24 | Ari Aster (Hereditary) directing

9 hours ago, JB33 said:

You really don't think Little Women will get Oscar attention? I'd be shocked....

On that note, I really do hope Pugh gets consideration. I'm doubtful though. Collette didn't get any last year and I thought she was even better in Hereditary.

Yes, only for the actors and maybe some minor category. I think Greta got already too much nominations for Juno but boring (best director, lol) just cause it was the edition after the Weinstein scandal. 

1 hour ago, Avatree said:

Genre films have always been overlooked for awards. Sad but it's just how awards work. Drama is the only Cinema that Matters. 

The hold that performances in biopics have over acting awards is disgusting.

Half of the Best Actor/Actress awards since 2000 have gone to facsimile biopic performances.

Thing is, facsimile biopic roles are literally the easiest performances to give. Asking an actor to replicate/copy behaviour is the simplest task they can work with.

Horror and Comedy require risk, commitment, creativity and can go horribly wrong. They are the hardest genre to give performances in. Truly great performances in these movies are amazing.

For instance, how in the blue hell was Rachel McAdams not even nominated for her utterly iconic performance in Mean Girls? That performance balanced naturalism, archetype, dialogue designed to be quotable, panto villainy with a hint of vulnerability.

Yet what won Supporting Actress that year? Ah yes, Cate Blanchett for a performance in a facsimile biopic that nobody remembers and that doesn't come close to even the best dozen performances Cate Blanchett has ever given.

Never mind Toni Collette last year....Alex Wolff gives an incredible performance in Hereditary and can't get a nomination but Sam Rockwell doing a 10 minute George Bush impression can.

I could rant about this for hours.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, maxalcamo said:

Yes, only for the actors and maybe some minor category. I think Greta got already too much nominations for Juno but boring (best director, lol) just cause it was the edition after the Weinstein scandal. 

I haven't seen Lady Bird but what has it got to do with Juno?

11 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Half of the Best Actor/Actress awards since 2000 have gone to facsimile biopic performances.

Thing is, facsimile biopic roles are literally the easiest performances to give. Asking an actor to replicate/copy behaviour is the simplest task they can work with.

Horror and Comedy require risk, commitment, creativity and can go horribly wrong. They are the hardest genre to give performances in. Truly great performances in these movies are amazing.

For instance, how in the blue hell was Rachel McAdams not even nominated for her utterly iconic performance in Mean Girls? That performance balanced naturalism, archetype, dialogue designed to be quotable, panto villainy with a hint of vulnerability.

Yet what won Supporting Actress that year? Ah yes, Cate Blanchett for a performance in a facsimile biopic that nobody remembers and that doesn't come close to even the best dozen performances Cate Blanchett has ever given.

Never mind Toni Collette last year....Alex Wolff gives an incredible performance in Hereditary and can't get a nomination but Sam Rockwell doing a 10 minute George Bush impression can.

Lmao. Don't overthink it. Just ignore the oscars if that's how you feel.

Drama can keep their awards.. genre films get money instead :) 

1 minute ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Oh come on, it's healthy to have a nice cathartic flounce now and again.

I'm not sure what that sentence means but with acting specifically, I think it's BS to claim that comedy is so much harder than a biopic role. You can say biopic roles are lazy and easy because they're just copying something, but you could just as easily say that a comedian in a comedy film is putting no effort in because they are just being themselves and not having to act, just perform.

I'm not sure what that sentence means but with acting specifically, I think it's BS to claim that comedy is so much harder than a biopic role. You can say biopic roles are lazy and easy because they're just copying something, but you could just as easily say that a comedian in a comedy film is putting no effort in because they are just being themselves and not having to act, just perform.

The sentence was just saying it's fun to have a moan. I was mocking myself, really, but since you went on....

Biopic roles aren't lazy. But they operate on a considerably lower level of difficulty, generally, than most other forms of acting role. Again, replication is the simplest thing to ask an actor to engage in. You can generally identify, for instance, very few obviously bad performances in biopics by major names and in the rare cases where they do exist (Gotti, for instance) it is more reflective of the project overall being a mess rather than a bad performance.

Horror on the other hand: Helen Mirren (Winchester), DeNiro (Godsend, Hide and Seek) , Nicholson (Wolf), Pacino (Hangman), Heath Ledger (The Order), Ian McKellen (The Keep) and many other great actors have all shit the bed in horror movies. I could do a similar list for comedies (with some of the same actors, TBH). 

Biopic is a low risk genre. The form of comedy performance that relies on personality only that you refer to is only very niche and no, in those cases doesn't deserve awards. But you're talking more about Adam Sandlers there, while I'm referring to things like McAdams, Christopher Guest's oeuvre, peak Jim Carrey and Steve Martin, Coen brothers films and so on. 

• Like 1

Citing Winchester (2018) as an example of an Oscar worthy horror movie, hahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

I mean, that's delightfully smug and all.

But I didn't and apparently you didn't read my post properly. Unless by "shit the bed" you thought I meant "Gave Oscar worthy performances in"

Helen Mirren - an undoubtedly great actress - was handed an oscar for a biopic performance that wasn't even close to her own personal Top 20 and that she could have frankly given any day of the week. She was, within just a couple of years, found out massively when she tried her hand at horror. Because performing in horror is incredibly hard: much harder than giving a performance in a biopic that if it didn't have a famous person in would have basically been a made for TV movie. 

2 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

I mean, that's delightfully smug and all.

But I didn't and apparently you didn't read my post properly. Unless by "shit the bed" you thought I meant "Gave Oscar worthy performances in"

Helen Mirren - an undoubtedly great actress - was handed an oscar for a biopic performance that wasn't even close to her own personal Top 20 and that she could have frankly given any day of the week. She was, within just a couple of years, found out massively when she tried her hand at horror. Because performing in horror is incredibly hard: much harder than giving a performance in a biopic that if it didn't have a famous person in would have basically been a made for TV movie. 

I'm sorry I don't know what that phrase means. yes I thought you were saying those performances were worthy of oscars.

oh and yeah THe Queen sucks and Helen Mirren sucks in it

Edited by Avatree

2 minutes ago, Avatree said:

I'm sorry I don't know what that phrase means. yes I thought you were saying those performances were worthy of oscars.

Ah cool. Sorry, it's my British turn of phrase.

Yeah I was pointing out that there are lots of all-time great actors who have been awful in horror films, meaning that the genuinely great performances are true gems.

Essentially, when it comes to facsimile biopics, there is no risk for major stars. There is no "Robert DeNiro in Godsend" equivalent. The chances of them being bad is non-existent because they simply aren't that difficult. 

5 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Ah cool. Sorry, it's my British turn of phrase.

Yeah I was pointing out that there are lots of all-time great actors who have been awful in horror films, meaning that the genuinely great performances are true gems.

Essentially, when it comes to facsimile biopics, there is no risk for major stars. There is no "Robert DeNiro in Godsend" equivalent. The chances of them being bad is non-existent because they simply aren't that difficult. 

I am British too lol but not familiar with that phrase in this context. I thought you meant shit the bed = terrified = scary horror performance

10 minutes ago, Julian1410 said:

Still bummed that colette didn’t get a nomination because iT was a horror movie but Daniël kaluuya did. Kaluuya was good but colette was iconic

it helps that 4 times as many people saw Get out than hereditary.

That's usually the key to non-dramas, having eyes on it.

Edited by Avatree

it helps that 4 times as many people saw Get out than hereditary.

That's usually the key to non-dramas, having eyes on it.

I didn’t even like get out. When i got out of the money i was like: WoW is this were people are so buzzing about

13 hours ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Yeah the Sam Rockwell nomination was a joke.

I'm also one who doesn't get the Margot Robbie Oscar talk for her role in OUaTiH, even though I enjoyed her in it. She did very well, but the role was a non-event so to speak.

On 7/29/2019 at 10:22 AM, Avatree said:

Genre films have always been overlooked for awards. Sad but it's just how awards work. Drama is the only Cinema that Matters. 

The most genre-y and iconic performance to be nominated gotta be Sigourney in Aliens in freaking 1986.

How many other since ?

Edited by The Futurist

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

The most genre-y and iconic performance to be nominated gotta be Sigourney in Aliens in freaking 1986.

How many other since ?

Uma Thurman in Pulp Fiction?

Johnny Depp in Pirates of the Caribbean?

Renee Zellweger in Bridget Jones?

Why does Ari Aster need to be stopped?

Edited by Avatree