That One Girl

Midsommar | July 3, 2019 | Florence Pugh, Jack Reynor, Will Poulter | A24 | Ari Aster (Hereditary) directing

I saw some scenes on youtube ( movie will be released here just on September...) and the violence seems less fucked up than what I was imagining.

That doesn't mean it's not fucked up, but I've seen worse. I love Saw movies and some of them had much more violent scenes than Midsommar. Hell, Saw 4 started with a freaking autopsy, lol. 

So having seen this, I have some questions for those who also saw it. Don't read ahead unless you've seen it. 

Spoiler

So, the guy who invited them to the event said his parents died in a fire. The ceremony takes place every 90 years, but do they regularly sacrifice people in their temple. Do you think that is what he was referring to when he said his parents died in a fire. Obviously, the elders jump off a cliff after the age of 72. Also, let's say this was a special 90 year ritual, when they bring people over in other years, do you think they just use them for breeding, drug them, and then send them back. Or, do you think they kill them off or maybe try and get them to join their cult? What would happen if Dani tried to leave now that the ceremony is over? Would they kill her or let her leave. I'm not sure anyone here has the answers but these questions have been bugging me ever since I saw this yesterday.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, baumer said:

This is 2.5 hours long.

It honestly breezes by. 

7 hours ago, That One Guy said:

He didn't see it, he said a few weeks ago that he read a plot synopsis on 4chan so he's judging it based on that

Oh for god sake. Why do people do stuff like that? 

Stop trying to shoehorn yourself and your opinion into the conversation when you haven’t even seen the film. 

Thats like me going on constant tangents about a song I’ve never even heard! 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I saw some scenes on youtube ( movie will be released here just on September...) and the violence seems less fucked up than what I was imagining.

That doesn't mean it's not fucked up, but I've seen worse. I love Saw movies and some of them had much more violent scenes than Midsommar. Hell, Saw 4 started with a freaking autopsy, lol. 

This is how I felt coming out of the movie, 100%. Saw still takes the cake for me in terms of blood and gore and disturbing images. I can't watch them.

14 hours ago, CloneWars said:

So having seen this, I have some questions for those who also saw it. Don't read ahead unless you've seen it. 

Hide contents

So, the guy who invited them to the event said his parents died in a fire. The ceremony takes place every 90 years, but do they regularly sacrifice people in their temple. Do you think that is what he was referring to when he said his parents died in a fire. Obviously, the elders jump off a cliff after the age of 72. Also, let's say this was a special 90 year ritual, when they bring people over in other years, do you think they just use them for breeding, drug them, and then send them back. Or, do you think they kill them off or maybe try and get them to join their cult? What would happen if Dani tried to leave now that the ceremony is over? Would they kill her or let her leave. I'm not sure anyone here has the answers but these questions have been bugging me ever since I saw this yesterday.

I don't think anyone knows the answers to these questions. It's up to the viewer to decide, I think.

3 hours ago, JB33 said:

I don't think anyone knows the answers to these questions. It's up to the viewer to decide, I think.

I think you should give it a try. The Saw movies have a lot of story and great characters in them. The continuity is amazing.

Try the first 3 movies. :)

2 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I think you should give it a try. The Saw movies have a lot of story and great characters in them. The continuity is amazing.

Oh I've watched them. I stopped after 4, I think. I also randomly watched part of the last one (not Jigsaw, the last of the main series) a little while ago. That's how I found out I can't do it haha.

I agree the story and characters are intriguing. That's why I wish I didn't get so ill watching them. They give the MCU a run for its money in terms of connectivity! It's almost hard to wrap your head around it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I would agree the first 3 were decent. 

Saw 4 was abysmal then they got worse from then on. 

I fucking loved it. It's a sick, twisted, uncomfortable, disgusting, brutal, unnerving, insane, difficult, agonizing, painful, horrifying, and utterly beautiful and wonderful. My favorite of the year so far.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I fucking loved it. It's a sick, twisted, uncomfortable, disgusting, brutal, unnerving, insane, difficult, agonizing, painful, horrifying, and utterly beautiful and wonderful. My favorite of the year so far.

Wish I felt the same. I'm not saying I don't like it but besides being beautifully shot I don't think it was scary, creepy, unsettling, or really anything. I get where it was going and I think he did a good job of it but overall, it was kind of just there for me

This was very disturbing. Other than the scene when they arrive. I didn’t find it gory. I will say that I would throw up non stop if I were Christian. WTF? Dani was already in need of intense therapy at the beginning. By the end...well. I would give this a 7/10. 

• Like 1

Saw this last night. It was...weird. Not super disturbing like I expected, but definitely weird. Can’t decide if I liked it. The last movie I saw with a similar ‘wtf am I watching’ vibe was Annihilation and that one had a clear theme. This one wasn’t as clear to me which made it difficult for me to enjoy it. First Ari Aster movie though. As we walked out of the theater, the custodian was like that’s what you get in an Ari Aster movie lol. 6.5/10