NickDisney13

Fantasy Island | February 14, 2020 | Sony/Blumhouse | Michael Pena, Lucy Hale

On 11/8/2019 at 12:31 PM, Taylor said:

There's apparently a trailer attached to Doctor Sleep.

I had it in front of my Doctor Sleep viewing.  Mostly laughs even when the trailer was supposed to serious at some points 

Huh. I just mentioned in the Photograph thread that I wasn't missing much by seeing that on Valentine's but I finally decided to watch the trailer for this and.....it looks kinda good? 

Yeah, I'm game for this. I'll need my horror fix by this point after the disappointing The Grudge and skipping out completely on the several duds between then and when this comes out.

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 5:37 PM, babz06 said:

I think this will do ok it seems perfect for date night movie on Valentine’s Day. 

With a 7 million dollar budget it would be hard for it not to do OK.

Not so sure about it being a good Valentine's Day Date Night Movie, since it has been changed from being primarily a group of love stories (which was what the TV show pretty much was) to a primarily horror movie.

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

With a 7 million dollar budget it would be hard for it not to do OK.

Not so sure about it being a good Valentine's Day Date Night Movie, since it has been changed from being primarily a group of love stories (which was what the TV show pretty much was) to a primarily horror movie.

Wondering if studios are going to start re-evaluating releasing horror movies on Presidents' Day weekend. For the longest time it was agiven that teens and couples would show up to horrors (after all, it has been a popular genre for those demographics) but it seems like it's not so agiven anymore. Last year Happy Death Day 2U, a film a lot of us thought would do well, especially on that particular weekend, fell flat on its face. Seems like this isn't tracking for anything too special either, though as you said with that budget it would be kinda hard to fail.

57 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Wondering if studios are going to start re-evaluating releasing horror movies on Presidents' Day weekend. For the longest time it was agiven that teens and couples would show up to horrors (after all, it has been a popular genre for those demographics) but it seems like it's not so agiven anymore. Last year Happy Death Day 2U, a film a lot of us thought would do well, especially on that particular weekend, fell flat on its face. Seems like this isn't tracking for anything too special either, though as you said with that budget it would be kinda hard to fail.

Problem is Fantasy Island has a problem most horror films do not have...it's based on a very popular,well remembered  TV show that was pretty much the opposite of horror...most of the stories on Fantasy Island were love stories,many of htem out and out romantic comedies....and trying to transform that into a dark horror movie might be a tough sell.

The fans of the original won't like the change, and the under 25 s have probably seen a couple episodes of the original (its; one those TV shows that seems to get shown somewhere forever) and are skeptical of such a drastic change working very well. "God, they are trying to make a horror movie out of that Cheesy TV Show".....

I am NOT a fan of the original..never cared for it much growing up....but I have to wonder at such a 180 degree turn.

Edited by dudalb