sfran43

Weekend Thread: | Estimates (per BOM) ~ M:I-F 35M, DCR 25.003M, TSWDM 12.35M, MM!HWGA 9.09M, TE2 8.83M, HT3:SV 8.2M, AMatW 6.188M, TDM 5.8M

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

By who? A few random members predicting big numbers does not equal "overhyped."

I’m sure Disney expected more too with that theatre count and release date. 

I predicted $24m, so I’m fine with it lol

1 hour ago, Alli said:

Is that UK number 3 or 5 days?

4 day. Will be interesting to see if Mamma Mia was #1 again for the 3 day, it beat out Mission Impossible’s opening last weekend too lol 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

I’m sure Disney expected more too with that theatre count and release date. 

I predicted $24m, so I’m fine with it lol

4 day. Will be interesting to see if Mamma Mia was #1 again for the 3 day, it beat out Mission Impossible’s opening last weekend too lol 

Disney predicted between 28 and 30 million opening weekend. Tracking sources predicted 30-plus so it was pretty more than just a few random people.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Alli said:

The Meg will probably get those "it's so bad, it's good" reviews. Looks like a movie you need to watch with a crowd to laugh at the ridiculousness

1 minute ago, Curtis1986 said:

Or it could get the shallow reviews

Piranha style reviews (certified fresh, self aware) or completely rotten I think 

Deadline was actually overestimating Christopher Robin a bit, predicting around $26 million based on friday numbers, while everyone here were projecting around $29-30 million. What happened to Deadline, they used to be bad at this.

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

Jurassic World did it adjusted (725M) and that was just 3 years ago. Tall order for sure, but not impossible. First competetor will probably be The Lion King next year, since Avengers 4 will obviously move to April again,

Better. It’s at $732M adjusted.

• Like 1

Super bummed that Eighth Grade didn't have a better expansion. It's the best thing in theaters right now and I really thought it could be a word of mouth hit. 

Instead it's doing well, but "doing well for an indie." Is it even possible for Indies to break out outside of Oscar season anymore?

Edited by tonytr87

4 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

Super bummed that Eighth Grade didn't have a better expansion. It's the best thing in theaters right now and I really thought it could be a word of mouth hit. 

Instead it's doing well, but "doing well for an indie." Is it even possible for Indies to break out outside of Oscar season anymore?

Well, The Big Sick did make $40M+ last summer.

Summer legs update:

Black Panther: 3.465

Infinity War: 2.631

Overboard: 3.420

Tully: 2.811

Life of the Party: 2.955

Breaking In: 2.631

Deadpool 2: 2.539

Book Club: 5.042

Show Dogs: 2.946

Solo: 2.523

Adrift: 2.710