grim22

Academy Awards adding a "Best Popular Film" category. Good or bad idea? Academy walks it back, won't be presented this year

Compare a US Top 20 from 

and count how many Oscar movies are making the Top 20, the trend is undeniable.

Technology has allowed to make moving pictures with sci-fi and fantasy concepts you could only draw in comics until the 90's and that s what people want to see at the movies for the most part now.

To me, there is as much artistry on display in Infinity War (or any big sci-fi movie for that matter, no matter my opinion on them) than Random Oscar movie #7.

If you can't see it, your loss I guess.

(ojectively, armies  of artists worked on IW to make the images possible).

When Chris Terrio writes Argo, he is an ARTISTE (with french accent).

When Chris Terrio writes Justice League, he s what ? A servant to the machine ? A populist ?

Bottom Line : you like a movie or assess its artistry first and foremost for its subject matter, it speaks to you or it doesn't.

Would you say to Peyton Reed s face he is not an artist because he is not fulfilling your totally arbitrary & subjective criterias of what is art and what is not ?

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

24 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Make people vote online for nominations. Then the winner is decided during the ceremony by phone calls and text messages like on American Idol.

You joke, but I think this might be the next thing they introduce.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Who would that be ?

Is this turning a rebute of someone saying no one is watching, not relevant anymore with this:

No. Show Viewership
(in millions)
Date Network(s)
1 Super Bowl LI 111.3 February 5, 2017 Fox
2 Packers vs. Cowboys 48.5 January 15, 2017 Fox
3 Steelers vs. Patriots 48.0 January 22, 2017 CBS
4 Donald Trump Congressional Address 47.7 February 28, 2017 VOA
5 Packers vs. Falcons 46.3 January 22, 2017 Fox
6 Giants vs. Packers 39.3 January 8, 2017 Fox
7 Steelers vs. Chiefs 37.1 January 15, 2017 NBC
8 89th Academy Awards 32.9 February 26, 2017 ABC
9 Inauguration of Donald Trump 30.6 January 20, 2017 VOA
10 Dolphins vs. Steelers 29.9 January 8, 2017 CBS

What I get from that chart is the Green Bay Packers guaranteed ratings grabber.  @MrPink

• Like 2

i think they should just go full on WWE with the oscars.

*emma stone's on stage giving her best actress speech*

*suddenly Mamma Mia starts blasting on the speakers*

Announcer: BAH GAWD THAT'S STREEP'S MUSIC

*Meryl runs on stage and drop kicks stone*

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

they could nominate the five highest grossing movies for best picture every year and the ratings would still be dipping cos that's just the way shit is going. they're never gonna get it back up to 40 million again probably not even 35.

chance are good for this to be true, if we look at say the grammy:

UPDATED: Viewership of Sunday’s 60th annual Grammy Awards is down significantly from the 2017 telecast, nabbing the smallest audience in the show’s history in the key demo.

In addition, the three and a half hour awards show is averaged a 5.9 rating in adults 18-49 and 19.8 million viewers, according to time zone adjusted numbers. Last year’s show drew a 7.8 and 26.1 million, meaning the 2018 Grammys are down approximately 24 percent in both measures.

the nominee were Burno Mars, Donald Glover, Bieber, Jay-Z, Kendrick Lamar, Lorde, Despacito, Khalid, Ed Sheeran, Kesha, Kelly Clarkson, Pink, Lady Gaga, Coldplay, Imagine Dragons, Lana Del rey, Metallica, Arcade Fire, 

If we look at the emmy:

Although television has never been more popular than it is right now, audiences are apparently uninterested in TV about TV. Sunday night’s 69th Primetime Emmy Awards telecast sank to an all-time low rating of 8.2 in the metered market metric, per THR. Initial estimates put the total viewership below the 11.3 million viewers that tuned in last year.

27% drop also

Both worst than the Oscar I think.

The show was filled with people favorite shows, stranger things, This is Us, Modern Family, Black-is, Big littles lies, The Voice, Better CAll saul, Westworld, the americans

There is a main force for those big award shows rating going down and probably the main force for those rating going down that is quite external to the content of the show or at least not necessarily something particular to the Oscar themselve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So Donald Glover sinks Grammys, Emmys and Solo since he was present in all 3. That's the main takeaway. ;)

But on serious side, that new category managed to insult both popular movies (you are not real Best Picture material) and Best Picture nominees ( you are so unpopular and costing us ratings we had to invent this stupid MTV shit). For shame.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, grim22 said:

Disney and ABC pushed for this apparently

lol. Watch the actual televised winners invite the people whose categories got pushed to during commercial break on stage to give their speeches before making their own as a big "fuck you" to ABC.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pandamia! said:

Disney really is buying oscars lol

It could be more about their near 1 billion investment in the actual Oscar tv show than about adding promotion to their movies / rewarding their high level employee, that being of course an nice bonus. 

Probably better than taking so much time to do a bad promotion of them like they did with the Wrinkle of Time cinema stunt last time.

Edited by Barnack

Part of me wonders if we'll head to "Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade/Disney Christmas Parade" type of show...whenever the category or speech planned is just too boring, you have lined up a Disney celebrity to talk about how they got dressed, what they loved about the Oscars, what they are doing for Disney in the future, etc...so you'll have 2 MCs in a booth or on the floor just watching and commentating, separate from whomever the stage leader is (who you jump to as needed)...

I mean, it seems crazy, but...in about 5 years time,  Disney has turned their own "Christmas Parade" into a 2 hour theme park advertisement that shows about 2 minutes of parade, and they don't even call it a parade anymore...and NBC has done the "filler NBC fall stars" lining up for those Macy's parades for years...which I don't actually mind the NBC way, b/c I get my hour of Broadway, and then I can jump in and out of the parade while I do dinner prep - they make it work in a more ideal way, still giving the event, but removing the dead air:)...

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Part of me wonders if we'll head to "Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade/Disney Christmas Parade" type of show...whenever the category or speech planned is just too boring, you have lined up a Disney celebrity to talk about how they got dressed, what they loved about the Oscars, what they are doing for Disney in the future, etc...so you'll have 2 MCs in a booth or on the floor just watching and commentating, separate from whomever the stage leader is (who you jump to as needed)...

I mean, it seems crazy, but...in about 5 years time,  Disney has turned their own "Christmas Parade" into a 2 hour theme park advertisement that shows about 2 minutes of parade, and they don't even call it a parade anymore...and NBC has done the "filler NBC fall stars" lining up for those Macy's parades for years...which I don't actually mind the NBC way, b/c I get my hour of Broadway, and then I can jump in and out of the parade while I do dinner prep - they make it work in a more ideal way, still giving the event, but removing the dead air:)…

Yeah, this is never happening. Too many people would not show up to the ceremony.

Just now, franfar said:

Who knows, they could end up buying movie theaters like the good old days

We laugh, but the concept of Disney completely taking over the world and all of us living in creepy Celebration-like towns is seeming less and less like an impossible reality each day.

Just now, filmlover said:

We laugh, but the concept of Disney completely taking over the world and all of us living in creepy Celebration-like towns is seeming less and less like an impossible reality each day.

Eh I was half joking http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-doj-paramount-decrees-20180802-story.html

• Astonished 1