grim22

Academy Awards adding a "Best Popular Film" category. Good or bad idea? Academy walks it back, won't be presented this year

My take: This is dumb, looks horrifically bad optically with it being the year of BLACK PANTHER, and if they really wanna get more popular films nominated, how about finally adding a BEST STUNT COORDINATION category that the unions have been begging for the last six or seven years?

(Also, Best Voiceover/Mocap would be nice.)

(ALSO the cutting of awards from the telecast is silly af)

• Like 3

A new low for Disney?. Feige really wanted that oscar huh? after 10 years of nothing...Uncle Iger is the great provider. The dude buys oscars now after buying critics, Department of Justice and movie studios...I fear what they will buy next

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Oscar votes should only come from people who attended 60 000$ a Year Colleges.

This strange idea that the working class people have a sense of beauty & excellence in art is preposterous.

Edited by The Futurist

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

what people love to see is the winner's joy, really...they aren't in it for the rattling off of random names in speeches

True that it is all about the winner joy (the live a part of their moment via empathy.... part I said), the speech being the current way to see that moment.

Walking up taking the trophy and leaving immediately with some bow or blowing a kiss to the crowd, would not be the same sharing of the moment I think it would be a bit too short.

The idea to have the names thanks in scroller was an attempt to have them write actual speech a la Mcconaughey instead of just listing name we do not know, but the failure of that to work was obvious. 

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

This shows the oscars must have been in some serious issues with broadcasters and advertisers and sponsers to resort to such levels considering how snobish and stuck up the oscars are.

I think the people who said the oscars were fine for years were proven 100 percent wrong.

Edited by Lordmandeep

The more I think about it, the more it seems like a bad idea. What will it even be called? Not "Best Popular Film", that would imply all the other winners are not popular. Best Blockbuster? Best Film for Teenage Boys?

It probably won't happen.

Edited by MrGlass2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MrGlass2 said:

The more I think about it, the more it seems like a bad idea. What will it even be called? Not "Best Popular Film", that would imply all the other winners are not popular. Best Blockbuster? Best Film for Teenage Boys"?

the statement from the academy spokesperson quoted in the variety article refers to it as 'Outstanding Achievement in Popular Film' so i guess... that's what it's called?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

The more I think about it, the more it seems like a bad idea. What will it even be called? Not "Best Popular Film", that would imply all the other winners are not popular. Best Blockbuster? Best Film for Teenage Boys?

The acamedy says blockbuster films are too good for us but we need to mention them to stay releavant.

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

God forbid they imply something accurate 😛 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

This shows the oscars must have been in some serious issues with broadcasters and advertisers and sponsers to resort to such levels considering how snobish and stuck up the oscars are.

I think the people who said the oscars were fine for years were proven 100 percent wrong.

Who would that be ?

Is this turning a rebute of someone saying no one is watching, not relevant anymore with this:

No. Show Viewership
(in millions)
Date Network(s)
1 Super Bowl LI 111.3 February 5, 2017 Fox
2 Packers vs. Cowboys 48.5 January 15, 2017 Fox
3 Steelers vs. Patriots 48.0 January 22, 2017 CBS
4 Donald Trump Congressional Address 47.7 February 28, 2017 VOA
5 Packers vs. Falcons 46.3 January 22, 2017 Fox
6 Giants vs. Packers 39.3 January 8, 2017 Fox
7 Steelers vs. Chiefs 37.1 January 15, 2017 NBC
8 89th Academy Awards 32.9 February 26, 2017 ABC
9 Inauguration of Donald Trump 30.6 January 20, 2017 VOA
10 Dolphins vs. Steelers 29.9 January 8, 2017 CBS

Into someone saying that, that the Oscar are 100% fine without serious any challenge ahead of them to still be worth an over 100m a year show in 2025 ? Who ever said that ?

13 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

considering how snobish and stuck up the oscars are.

Are you talking about the Oscar show / leadership here (i.e. Walt Disney corporation quite a bit) or the voters (i.e. are you basing this looking at voters result that have little to do here with what is happening)

Instead of adding a new award for popular film, perhaps the Academy should create a new award for these small, indie films that have dominated the Oscars for the past several years.

How about moving these Best Picture nominees from this past year to this new indie category:

• Call Me By Your Name
  • Darkest Hour
  • Phantom Thread
  • The Shape of Water
  • Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

And replace them with nominations for these films, all of which have at least a 90% score on RT:

• Coco
  • Girls Trip
  • The Last Jedi
  • Logan
  • Wonder Woman

Fewer people are watching the Oscars because fewer people have seen the films that are nominated nowadays.

they could nominate the five highest grossing movies for best picture every year and the ratings would still be dipping cos that's just the way shit is going. they're never gonna get it back up to 40 million again probably not even 35.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1