grim22

Academy Awards adding a "Best Popular Film" category. Good or bad idea? Academy walks it back, won't be presented this year

24 minutes ago, Warmaster506 said:

Looks like Disney bought themselves an award.   I bet a Disney films wins this for the next 5 years.  Suicide Squad winning an Oscar must have really pissed them off. 

Never forgive Disney for owning Marvel, will you?

And please furnish proof that Disney bought this Oscar, Or I will write this off as just more Conspiracy Crap.

Edited by dudalb

1 hour ago, LonePirate said:

Except there is no current difference between the Oscars and pretty much every other film award. The Oscars have become a rubber stamp for winners of other awards, which in itself is highly detrimental to the show itself. At least my suggestion still allows for people who make movies to continue making the final selections. They just need better selections.

Stuff like Blind Side, Hidden Figures, King Speech perform better there than at professional award group, there is quite the difference between them and many award.

From awards that try to predict the Academy Awards and get their popularity has being considered good predictor, then obviously not.

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

GUARANTEES we'll never see a return to the movies that used to be nominated and win (pre-Weinstein)..

Not sure how much of this is not more an enduring myth created by the Weinstein themselve, Shakespear in love was a 100m movie box office success story after all and right after the year's after 1998:

1999: 130m American Beauty success story

2000: 187m Gladiator blockbuster

2001: 170m Beautiful mind big studio movie with a 80m budget in 2018 dollar

2002: 170m Chicago big blockbuster

2003: The lord of the rings

Has if those movie were not classic popular studio wide release movie type of winner, one Miramax winner but a big comedy musical making a giant amount of money.

Crash or maybe in a more symbolic way Hurt Locker beating Avatar feel more like the real turning point. 1998 is when even Spielberg started to play the game more aggressively that is true but they could certainly still win for a good decade after that.

Studio making less and less movies (and after the early 2000s franchise success more and more sequels), independent being able to make more and more of them and cheaper ways to be seen by voters than 4 walling theater and getting voters in person to see them are force that would have existed regardless of Weinsteins and has little to do about a shift of taste/mission of the voters.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

Special Achievement awards are there for a reason.. Just give one out whenever you're worried that the Oscar slate is going to be super small/indie that year. You can literally make up any reason to give a special award to a popular movie.

Really good stunts/ CGI technology? Special Award!

Cultural significance? Special Award!

Super realistic shark? Special Award!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Never forgive Disney for owning Marvel, will you?

And please furnish proof that Disney bought this Oscar, Or I will write this off as just more Conspiracy Crap.

I imagine this come from Disney owning the distribution rights of the show and being able to push demands on them ?

Same goes for rumors of them being a factor in Kimmel (A Disney employee) doing it. 

7 minutes ago, dmatrixfilmdx said:

seems like it would be hard to predict a winner in that category?  will the votes be for real, or it this a fake fixed & front-loaded award?

It would be real vote that a giant third party firm that is much bigger than the Academy (and not much smaller than Disney) will be in charge of.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Oscar ratings crashed badly this year

They are trying to stay relevant.

Bad timing cause there currently is a huge box office hit that has a great chance at a Best Pic nomination this year and they're kind of ruining the moment by pushing this lame consolation award instead of just letting Black Panther get nominated normally.

Edited by Rebeccas
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

BTW I think this is a horrid idea.

A. What are the criteria for a "popular" film.

B.It implies that film that are successful cannot also be good as films..which is nonsense.

It is a really stupid idea.

Criteria I would imagine will be a certain box office at a certain date (just before sending the ballot I imagine), but they didn't say what it would be.

Has for B., not sure how much of the message is that one or that small movies winning is not something that is to be celebrated but an issue, that the best movies winning is not what the award should be about, either message (and it is probably a mix of both that will be the perception) is quite bad.

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

You can always predict the Razzies by which ones are the easiest targets (one doesn't need a crystal ball to see that they'll nominate Fifty Shades for everything one last time). They never truly go after the worst of the worst.

That's my problem with the Razzies:They pick such easy and obivious targets.

I would rather they go after some of the really crappy films we get when someone tries to do a "artistic" Oscar bait film and fall flat on their face.

Can't believe we have a "Haha, here's the movies that the stupid casuals liked but we, the Academy, are too smart and have too refined tastes to care about" token category, but still no Best Ensemble, Best Stuntwork or (a more out there one) Best Voice Acting categories, while motion capture performances are still for whatever reason completely ignored in the acting races.

Look, I'm not of the mind that "oh, superhero films or dumb CGI fests should never be nominated for Best Picture" or whatever, because 1) that's elitist and pretentious as fuck to say the least, no matter if you personally like the genre or not, 2) there have been a select few that deserved a nomination and maybe a win in their respective years, and 3) they are movies just like any indie, they can and should be considered art if they elicit emotions and feelings out of you, and if they are amongst the better made films of the year, then they fucking deserve it, period. BUT, more often than not, I wouldn't think of them as my 1st choice as there are genuinely better films released every year. Simple, even if sometimes it makes me feel a bit bummed, as the "great minds of film" continue to spread their anti-bias that personally bothers me a bit. However, these pity awards can seriously kiss my ass, cause it basically gives the Academy a free pass for refusing to recognize some mainstream films for the incult dummies masses as being on par with smaller scale dramatic stories.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

Many of you guys are denial...the oscars is in a deep crisis to stay relevant.

This shows how desperste things have gotten.

Serves them right.

The Last Jedi (aka the movie that torments you and haunts your dreams) would've been nominated had this category existed last year on top of the 4 it already received. Just saying.

Edited by filmlover
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The Last Jedi would've been nominated had this category existed last year on top of the 4 it already received. Just saying.

Thats bait lol

Issue is the films that win are not really close to being the best film of the year at all then box offce.

One can argue departed or 12 years a slave was but shape of water or artist...

Edited by Lordmandeep

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I imagine this come from Disney owning the distribution rights of the show and being able to push demands on them ?

Same goes for rumors of them being a factor in Kimmel (A Disney employee) doing it. 

This is silly conspiracy stuff.  Disney bought ABC over two decades ago. 

8 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Oscar ratings crashed badly this year

They are trying to stay relevant.

honestly we talk about how bad the ratings have got but in the year of our lord 2018 26.5 mil looks pretty good to me, especially with how irrelevant nielsen ratings are now. that's still over twice as much as any other awards show for any medium can pull in.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Many of you guys are denial...the oscars is in a deep crisis to stay relevant.

This shows how desperste things have gotten.

Serves them right.

Yep. The ratings COLLAPSED this year, 26m, down from 33m the year before. That fall is huge and I figure it’s just gonna get worse.

All this is is a poor attempt for relevancy from an institution less and less people give a fuck about. Nothing more, nothing less.

Edited by AJG