grim22

Academy Awards adding a "Best Popular Film" category. Good or bad idea? Academy walks it back, won't be presented this year

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Black Panther would have got a Best Picture without this category *shrugs* Now it won't happen. Whoopsie!

Yeah Black Panther wasn't the only reason, but obviously they were afraid of the backlash if it didn't get a BP nom. Which is really dumb because no big movie worthy of a BP nom will ever get one again.

Don't know if BP would be in my top 10 for BP if I was a voter, but honestly people are just gonna set it aside in their minds. It's not about BP specifically, it's about the the blockbusters that are worthy of at least the discussion of being included.

Edited by Jayhawk
  • Like 1

Another question: Why not just be a little more liberal with special achievement awards like they used to give those bad boys out for every hot new thing? You could easily justify giving a special achievement Oscar to something like Fallout for the insane stunt work or Black Panther for cultural impact if they don't make the cut for competitive awards.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

I’m so glad we’re finally appeasing to the uncatered demographic that whines about Infinity War not winning 15 Oscars

they won't rest. people are out here calling josh brolin oscar worthy in infinity war. looking for that Best Popular Supporting Actor award to be added next year for him.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2020's will be an interesting decade. Personally I don't see it being a good one for us traditionalists/purists...but oh well. Some things I think will happen:

- superheroes and disney remakes will continue to rule. There's just no sign of slowing down.

- Maybe something else will come back like PG13 comedies, romantics, and penguin movies, but they won't reach superhero heights

- Movies will get even more corporate. More original movie ideas will immigrate to TV, streaming, and web

- Because of the rise of streaming, the "Oscars on ABC" won't remain fully intact. I could see Youtube getting involved/certain categories being streamed/an official Oscars watch app, etc. They've aired NFL games on Twitter already, no reason to believe the Oscars won't try something. #1 goal is to improve ratings and reach. If that means putting part of the ceremony on Snapchat or Instagram Live, they're gonna do it.

- Direct to video/day and date will get big. On opening day, you can go to the theater, or pay a bit more and just watch it at home. Both will be counted into box office totals.

- These movies will also come straight to people's smart TV's or phones in a new kind of marketplace. The studios and platforms will work together

- At first it'll be mainly utilized for smaller movies, but eventually every movie from indies to blockbusters will do it, even Marvel's

- Midmajor movies will find new life again...on Netflix/day and date direct to video and web like Youtube

- each theater chain will have its own exclusive subscription service, full of terms and rules, maybe a family plan, more cost tiers. It'll probably be annoying

- the theater experience will become more exclusive and luxurious. Moviegoing will become more of a special occasion, like going to Six Flags. Screen counts will go down and IMAX/PLF will get more focus

- Another studio or two will get bought out

- China focus will continue. They may even buy one of the studios

- this is something I actually do think should happen, but probably won't: theaters will do demand pricing. Iron Man 6 will cost more than the new A24 on OW. And a movie in it's 5th weekend will cost less than a movie on OW, no more static pricing

- with all of this, box office and tracking will become less important and less traditional.

I know I sound pessimistic, but I'm just going off what we've been given and have seen this decade. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I just can't see movies and moviegoing getting back to the "good ole days." We haven't even reached these peaks and I've been 5 maybe 6 times this year

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Rebeccas said:

Another question: Why not just be a little more liberal with special achievement awards like they used to give those bad boys out for every hot new thing? You could easily justify giving a special achievement Oscar to something like Fallout for the insane stunt work or Black Panther for cultural impact if they don't make the cut for competitive awards.  

Stunt work should be a category.  It's just as if not more important than costume design, make-up, VFX, sound design etc - but since it's not something a  dramatic indie or costume drama has it's not awarded.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

They can do this award, but not a Best Stunts or Best Ensemble award.

Ridiculous.

best ensemble shouldn't be like the SAG but like a best casting director award or something. because i'm not here for abbie cornish getting an oscar for showing up in three billboards and barely trying.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

they won't rest. people are out here calling josh brolin oscar worthy in infinity war. looking for that Best Popular Supporting Actor award to be added next year for him.

This about sums it up. The contingent of moronic mouthbreathers who thinks that every superhero movie with over 75 percent on RT deserves Best Picture over "pretentious films" is now going to ride look for constant validation. And hell, no genre film is going to get nominated for a real award ever again, so REAL pretentious ass motherfuckers who only like French-language tone poems over say, Blade Runner 2049 or the Last Jedi feel validated too.

What a bunch of fucking dumbasses. Unbelievable how stupid this is,

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

I wouldn't nominate him but let's not act as if far less worthy performances haven't been nominated.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

This about sums it up. The contingent of moronic mouthbreathers who thinks that every superhero movie with over 75 percent on RT deserves Best Picture over "pretentious films" is now going to ride look for constant validation. And hell, no genre film is going to get nominated for a real award ever again, so REAL pretentious ass motherfuckers who only like French-language tone poems over say, Blade Runner 2049 or the Last Jedi feel validated too.

What a bunch of fucking dumbasses. Unbelievable how stupid this is,

these tweets about sum it up for me

• Like 9

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

I wouldn't nominate him but let's not act as if far less worthy performances haven't been nominated.

"it would be the least worthy performance of all time" is neither a thing i said or implied. it'd still be dumb to nominate him though!

Adding an animation category has definitely not helped animated movies get more recognition in bigger categories either. It's basically a pre-ordained award that goes to whatever Pixar movie didn't suck that year.

I get that the Oscars need to reconcile with the fact that traditional Oscar movies are no longer popular with audiences the way they used to be. It's just a very weird assumption that suddenly all these blockbuster movie fans will start watching a VERY LONG award show just to see one award they know is a pandering fake award lol

• Like 2

For me, the ones I feel most bad for are the people who won't get to receive their awards during the commercial breaks (I think?) and not the actual show. It must feel terrible to work so hard for so long in the industry in a field that nobody really gets to see the making of only to be more or less told that "you're not going to be on TV because you're not instantly recognizable to the world."

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

best ensemble shouldn't be like the SAG but like a best casting director award or something. because i'm not here for abbie cornish getting an oscar for showing up in three billboards and barely trying.

I'm fine with that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pandamia! said:

The solution is to actually vote for top-tier blockbusters from that year (like Black Panther this year or Logan/TLJ/WW last year)

The issue is that the people that care about viewership and come up with solution has no control on how a different group of people vote. It is not the Golden Globes.

Has for the new category, it would be terrible, like animation and foreign are already terrible, this one sound even worst. Going back to the 2009-2010 era voting system that had Avatar, Blind Side, Up, Bastard, District 9, Inception, Toy-Sotry 3, etc... in would be my non-educated proposition.

• Like 1