Boxofficerules

KINS Weekend Thread: 3 Day estimates: CRA make crazy rich #s with $22.2 million, TM Chomps On $10.5 million, M:IF doesn’t fall with $7 million, OF $6 million, Searching finds $5.7 million, KIN does $3 million.

12 hours ago, Felandria said:

I don’t know where else to ask...

are we not allowed to make threads?

You can make threads. Where are you having trouble doing so?

The MCU’s most mediocre franchise topping the best Mission Impossible film is kind of surprising, but I guess you shouldn’t dount the MCU.

OTOH I just found out Searching was directed by a fellow South Asian, so I hope it gets some sexy legs

28 minutes ago, a2k said:

JW2 will cross 2.80x multi (414.47) on Sunday. Never felt it could do 416-417 after a 148.024 ow. That's better legs than THG, CF and GOTG2 among others.

Never count out the dinos. The power of this sequel, which, despite taking a big drop from its first movie, rallied to become the biggest non-Disney release DOM and WW since Jurassic World 1 - despite mediocre reviews, awful marketing and low buzz - really validates Jurassic World as the ultimate four-quadrant, not necessarily geeky franchise at the box office. Jurassic World 3 is an absolute given, and while it may drop again from Fallen Kingdom (though it still think it clears 1B WW, as those OS numbers are fucking RIDICULOUS), it will be another big hit for Universal nonetheless.

Also, on the topic of leggy sequels, Fallout is going to beat Rogue Nation's OW with a busier August slate (RN had to deal with Fantflopstic and Straight Outta Compton, plus technically Ant-Man 1 was still doing solid business, but that's really it; this August is way more crowded by comparison) and a bigger OW. Spy movies may have a ceiling, but if we keep working on how to market them to young demographics - that is, I feel, the biggest untapped market for especially MI movies, since I don't feel Tom Cruise is particularly popular with today's generation - we may just reach Skyfall levels of success in the near future. For the love of God, hire Tom Hanks to play the villain for MI7. Keeping McQuarrie as a director is another story, though.... not because he's done anything less of a fantastic job with the MI movies, but because I feel like him directing a third movie in order to try to outdo FO from a pure action perspective sounds a little too ambitious for the exact same director to accomplish, considering that he's already done two of these and he could potentially be out of ideas for a third one, and it may make him fall flat in his face. I feel like a new director would probably be a good idea, while sending McQuarrie to do other projects along the way.

And also, Ant-Man And The Wasp is already the leggiest MCU sequel to date (no surprise there, even given the massively frontloaded OW and 2nd weekend holds; the exact same thing happened with Homecoming last year, which really had all the reason in the world to be frontloaded, so while it was shocking that an Ant-Man sequel could be as much of an upfront demand, backline empty parking lots as it seemed on OW, the fact that it was kind of a disposable sequel gives its immediate performance some sense), and may just end up on par or slightly O/U Homecoming's multiplier. Needs to get to just under 217, which is achievable (but not a lock). While a disappointment in the long run, it does still bode well that it had a steady increase from the first film both DOM and WW (maybe OS too, though it'll be closer to staying flat than anything) without an Avengers movie bump for the characters.... yeah he showed up in Civil War for a cameo in the airport fight, but that's not the same, is it? (I mean, after AIW, are we really gonna continue to debate whether CW performed like an Avengers movie or like a solo movie that had the Avengers in it? Its opening was barely above that of Iron Man 3, ffs.) I feel like if Ant-Man 3 is treated like a big deal, has at least one supporting major Avenger and has ramifications in the franchise, it could potentially go the Ragnarok way and climb for the 800/300 threshold. The Ant-Man series has performed akin to the Thor films so far.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

Avengers movies (unadjusted) Release First
Weekend
%
Change
Domestic
Gross
%
Change
90%
of Gross
on Day
Multiplier
(DG ÷ FW)
Foreign
Gross
%
Change
Worldwide
Gross
%
Change
Cinematic
Universe
Release #
Marvel’s The Avengers May 2012 $207.4M   $623.4M   35 3.01 $895.5M   $1518.8M   #6
Avengers: Age of Ultron May 2015 $191.3M -7.79% $459.0M -26.37% 26 2.40 $946.4M 5.69% $1405.4M -7.47% #11
Avengers: Infinity War* Apr. 2018 $257.7M 34.73% $678.7M 47.86% 30 2.63 $1367.5M 44.49% $2046.2M 45.59% #19
Jurassic World movies (unadjusted)
Jurassic World Jun. 2015 $208.8M   $652.3M   31 3.12 $1019.4M   $1671.7M   #4
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom* Jun. 2018 $148.0M -29.11% $413.3M -36.64% 28 2.79 $882.3M -13.46% $1295.6M -22.50% #5
Star Wars episodes (unadjusted)
Star Wars: The Force Awakens Dec. 2015 $248.0M   $936.7M   30 3.78 $1131.6M   $2068.2M   #7
Star Wars: The Last Jedi Dec. 2017 $220.0M -11.27% $620.2M -33.79% 23 2.82 $712.4M -37.05% $1332.5M -35.57% #9

* numbers are not final / still in theaters
display of dollars rounded to nearest hundred thousand
data current as of August 30, 2018

Cinematic Universe Release numbers for the live-action movies (so not counting the Clone Wars movie).

Jurassic World 2 cranking out a 2.8x multiplier from June is way more impressive than Star Wars cranking out a 2.8x multiplier in December. The overall drop of JW2 domestically is similar to the foreign drop of Star Wars Episode 8 (~36% vs. 37%).

Release
Month
Average
Multiplier
Median
Multiplier
Release
Month
Average
Multiplier
Median
Multiplier
January 2.88 2.66 July 3.30 3.22
February 2.81 2.73 August 3.22 3.00
March 3.02 2.89 September 2.87 2.75
April 2.76 2.65 October 3.02 2.75
May 2.95 2.82 November 3.43 3.23
June 3.13 3.01 December 5.45 4.76
all (1025 movies) 3.21 2.93
excludes 2018 releases
highest month in blue; lowest month in red

numbers from top opening domestic earners (2008-2017) as of August 16, 2018

And how about those Mission: Impossible sequels? They sure do well beyond their openings. Great stats for sequels.

Ant-Man 2 has the best MCU sequel multiplier, but to be fair it was released in July which outside of December is one of the best months to release in to have a longer run beyond the opening while the previous highest sequel multiplier for the MCU was released in April (Winter Soldier). Since Infinity War was released in April, its multiplier as a sequel is also stronger than it appears on first glimpse.

Edited by MagnarTheGreat
adjusted table formatting
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Felandria said:

When I pull down the create topic thing, the only section it will let me make a topic in is Direct to VOD, every other section is unclickable

over the the current threads there is a create a topic button that will the topic in whichever sub-forum you are in.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alli said:

Only 7.7M for MI-F 4 day weekend? RN made 9.4M.  

215M is in danger

If memory serves, there was one weekend around this time where they were doing BOGO tickets for Rogue Nation.

Fallout hasn’t had to resort to that.

4 hours ago, diddykongracing128 said:

Solo is an ok movie, but it didn't make money cause Disney and their media and their paid off reviewers couldn't help themselves by calling every star wars fan who dislike The Last Jedi sexist and racist manchildren and altright babies. Heck even Rian Johnson got into the whole manchild blame game to cover up his poor film. Even blaming us that Kelly Trans left instagram when she never said anything about it. We fans boycotted the movie, simple as that. 

Perhaps the Star Wars quality issue lies with the fans.  Maybe their vision of Star Wars is the one that needs to be paid off.  "Star Wars fans who boycott new Star Wars"😁  I don't know if new Star Wars fans will boycott Star Wars sequels.  

Edited by dX airdry zid
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, dX airdry zid said:

Perhaps the Star Wars quality issue lies with the fans.  Maybe their vision of Star Wars is the one that needs to be paid off.  And the filmmakers of the new Star Wars are more talented and make Star Wars for the elite and the new Star Wars fans that are upgraded from just "Star Wars fans who boycott new Star Wars"😁

MATRIX! did i just swallow the red pill? my head hurts

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

MATRIX! did i just swallow the red pill? my head hurts

no, you just came across a reply to a post.  troll bait can either go ignored or it can be "attempted at" or responded to and built upon, almost like it is an exercise.  Whether or not you respond, what you process should be an exercise anyways I think.

Edited by dX airdry zid

Just now, dX airdry zid said:

no, you just came across a reply to a post.  troll bait can either go ignored or it can be "attempted at" almost like it is an exercise.  Whether or not you respond, what you process should be an exercise anyways I think.

t-thanks