Boxofficerules

KINS Weekend Thread: 3 Day estimates: CRA make crazy rich #s with $22.2 million, TM Chomps On $10.5 million, M:IF doesn’t fall with $7 million, OF $6 million, Searching finds $5.7 million, KIN does $3 million.

Crazy Rich Asians puts up even more awesome staying power. Its holds in September will determine whether it ultimately lands north or south of the $200 million milestone, but it's a huge winner either way.

The Meg was one of many films to reap the benefits of the holiday weekend. I don't think the next month will be especially kind to its legs, but it should still be looking at a domestic finish near $145 million or thereabouts, and that's far better than the gloom-and-doom most analysts were projecting heading into its opening weekend.

It's great to see Mission: Impossible surpass $200 million. It won't have any trouble ascending to the top of the M:I domestic heap anymore and should land in about the same range as Rogue Nation's adjusted gross.

Operation Finale did okay relative to its quiet marketing and middling reviews. It's far from a winner, but it's not in the dire range of Labor Day dumps past; to illustrate the latter point, just look at Kin's expectedly soft bow outside the top ten or The Little Stranger's awful performance after its distributor basically left it to die (despite mostly strong reviews).

Searching didn't go as high as I'd hoped, but I also feel like I didn't see much marketing for it. If pushed properly, I could have seen it being a minor breakout in a quiet marketplace.

Christopher Robin held up really well, though it's probably still going to need some highly creative fudging to propel it past $100 million.

Holiday weekend or none, I'm kinda surprised that The Happytime Murders didn't drop harder. After all, it's a low-performing film that didn't really seem to please many of the viewers who showed up last weekend.

It's cool to see Incredibles 2 surpass $600 million. It's still crazy that Disney has released three films this year that all topped the $600 million mark (and four within the last 365 days).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Webslinger said:

It's cool to see Incredibles 2 surpass $600 million. It's still crazy that Disney has released three films this year that all topped the $600 million mark (and four within the last 365 days).

Crazy huh? Historic feat for Disney. Next year it could be four with Episode IX, Toy Story 4, Infinity War 2 and Lion King

• Like 1

Crazy Rich Asians and The Meg ended up saving August, a stark contrast to last year when only one film (Annabelle: Creation) barely crossed $100M and the second-highest (The Hitman's Bodyguard) stalled at $75M. September lacks an IT monster this year but has plenty of films (The Nun, The Predator, A Simple Favor, The House with a Clock in Its Walls, Night School, Smallfoot) with different levels of solid potential.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lilmac said:

Does anyone count monthly box-office by only the films that opened that month? Yet we do it for yearly (calendar year vs openers).

Calendar year box office is for the box office occured during that time frame regardless of movie  release date.

Look  at 2017 yearly bo:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?view=calendargross&view2=domestic&yr=2017&asof=2017-09-02&sort=open&order=ASC&p=.htm

I do not remember ever seeing the number for the 2017 box office of 2017 release for example.

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Calendar year box office is for the box office occured during that time frame regardless of movie  release date.

Right, but he has a point: When it comes to "top movies of year X", a movie qualifies as long as it was released in year X, even if some of the money it makes towards its winning total is earned in year X+1. E.g., the top DOM movie of 2016 is Rogue One, even though  Finding Dory earned more money during the 2016 calendar year:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?yr=2016&p=.htm

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Webslinger said:

Holiday weekend or none, I'm kinda surprised that The Happytime Murders didn't drop harder. After all, it's a low-performing film that didn't really seem to please many of the viewers who showed up last weekend.

Definitely due to the holiday weekend.  Would have been 60+% otherwise.

2 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

Right, but he has a point: When it comes to "top movies of year X", a movie qualifies as long as it was released in year X, even if some of the money it makes towards its winning total is earned in year X+1. E.g., the top DOM movie of 2016 is Rogue One, even though  Finding Dory earned more money during the 2016 calendar year:

When people are interested into the Top movies of the year's, that what they want to known.

Imagine the 900m Force Awaken would not be the top movie of any year:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?view=calendargross&view2=domestic&yr=2015&p=.htm

651 vs 652 for Jurassic World.

I am quite unsure what the interest would be into knowing the box office of a particular movie in calendar year, in release, re-release that make sense and so on, but how much Star wars made before december 31 at midnight vs after ?

16 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

Correct.  I only bring it up because people often say August is weak because the films released in August are weak. The outlook may not be so grim when you consider how late July releases could inject alot of cash into August. Something to consider. Besides the point that August is the lowest of the summer months when taking into account cash receipts regardless of the film releases.

But to the original point, interestingly, Infinity War was the top April movie in one sense and the top May movie in another.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/monthly/?view=releasedate&chart=bymonth&month=5&view=releasedate

Edited by lilmac
  • Like 2

Predictions for next weekend:

The Nun: 35M

Crazy Rich Asians: 13.3M

Peppermint: 11M

The Meg: 5.5M

Searching: 4.7M (assuming this gets into 2k theaters)

Mission: Impossible - Fallout: 3.5M

Operation Finale: 3M

Christopher Robin: 2.7M

BlacKkKlansman: 2.3M

Alpha: 2.3M

God Bless the Broken Road: 2.2M

The Happytime Murders: 1.5M