Jayhawk the Hutt

Knives Out | Nov 27 2019 | 18th Most Profitable Movie of 2019 | Coming to Amazon Prime June 12

20 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

I desperately need Loinsgate to push this at the SAG and Globes and then do a sneak Attack for the Oscars.  Best Original Screenplay, Please and Thank you.

I don't think they're going the sneak route. 

They've had SAG-AFTA screenings - just had one in NYC with Rian, Craig, Don Johnson & JLC and also just did a BAFTA screening in London with Rian, Craig and Shannon attending with a Q&A.

Edited by TalismanRing

Just now, TalismanRing said:

I don't think they're going the sneak route.  They've had SAG-AFTA screenings and just did a BAFTA screening in London with Rian, Craig and Shannon attending with a Q&A.

I meant more than this doesn't feel like your typical Oscar Bait Nonsense the Academy fawns over, so I need them to come in from the back and swarm the members until they realize Ana De Armas deserves a nomination as well.

11 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

I meant more than this doesn't feel like your typical Oscar Bait Nonsense the Academy fawns over, so I need them to come in from the back and swarm the members until they realize Ana De Armas deserves a nomination as well.

The biggest help to this film breaking into the Oscar discussion will be Box Office.  It's why Hustlers got a foothold with JLO.  If that movie had made $20m total no one would be talking about it's award chances against more typical Oscar fare.  Ditto a movie like Ford v Ferrari.

In Ana's favor there's not a lot of "locks" in the women's categories so far. 

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

Ana de Armas has no shot in Actress while Supporting would be a category fraud. Ensemble nom/win is going to be her reward. Sucks but blame Lionsgate. There are more murmurs that they should drop Bombshell for this but they won't do that because they bank on AMPAS love for real life stories even though the movie's gonna tank hard during holidays, worse than Vice.

Great number and about what I thought with the amount of showings /seating capacity / theaters

Even with sellouts and NYC ticket prices avg about $16 it would have taken in about $90,000 from about 5.6k tickets for about a 4k PTA over 2 days. 

With smaller screen capacities and lower ticket prices a  $2.13k avg across  936 theaters avg 1 show a night - the avg is about $1.13k per showing

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, 35MM-18 said:

You do know that Rian doesn't have much control over where the studio(s) distributes his film(s), right?

Yeah, I just feel sorry for him.

I wonder who does though - who decides which movies to skip. It got really bad in recent years. I get deprived of HALF of the good movies (speaking only of the American ones) I would watch, if they were in cinemas.

That's why I had an 18 months vacation in Dublin some years ago. I had 10 new movies every week there in the biggest multiplex. :)

Edited by shayhiri
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, shayhiri said:

Yeah, I just feel sorry for him.

I wonder who does though - who decides which movies to skip. It got really bad in recent years. I get deprived of HALF of the good movies (speaking only of the American ones) I would watch, if they were in cinemas.

That's why I had an 18 months vacation in Dublin some years ago. I had 10 new movies every week there in the biggest multiplex. :)

woah...your employer allowed you to take such a long vacation?

8 hours ago, shayhiri said:

Dublin's always best in small doses, based on my own experience. Of course, those small doses almost always consisted of the zoo, followed by Easons/Tower Records and the Collins Barracks, and never lasted more than a weekend.

I was at the Dublin Film Festival earlier this year-which was great-so I do envy you in some way.

I saw this a few days ago at one of the advanced screenings (first one I've ever been to in fact). Probably the third best film of the year for me behind Parasite and The Lighthouse. Everyone in the ensemble was great. Ana de Armas is my certified celebrity crush now. Craig's southern accent was jarring at first but I got used to it after hearing him talk more. Evans was also a standout here. I hope he plays more characters like Ransom in the future.

As someone who's not the biggest Last Jedi fan, I am very glad to say Rian Johnson made a damn great movie here. Hoping to see it again in theaters if I have the time.

Edited by Rorschach
  • Like 1