Box Office Hit

Free Guy | 20th Century | August 13 2021

Another note from THRs article on it's weekend haul: apparently it's going to Disney+ after 45 days? Guess they must have settled the old Fox/HBO deal quietly.

"Free Guy bested the domestic launch of The Suicide Squad a week ago. One difference — Levy’s film is receiving a 45-day exclusive theatrical release in theaters before going to Disney. From Warner Bros., Suicide Squad was made available simultaneously on HBO Max."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/free-guy-box-office-opening-respect-1234997992/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Edited by SpiderByte

40 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I never said more, I said it was comparable considering this had a much larger push.

Please.

TSS has a reported $100m marketing push on top of $185m budget.

Free Guy budget is $100m  It would need a $185m marketing spend to be comparable.  Disney didn't spend that on AEG 

• Like 4

You have to look at Free Guy on its own merits...

Did they spend a lot of money making and selling this movie - yes.  It was the "ad" for all summer movies in Regal - Disney probably got a great deal for that b/c Regal needed something as the closing "ad" before reopening theaters, but it's still money:).

Is it a harder movie sell as a premier IP in a Covid environment - yes.

Is it performing close to Disney's other 2 non-sequel, but still "tie in" movies this summer (Cruella, Jungle Cruise) for OW - yes.

I actually ignore it beating "trades" expectations b/c after Deadline's comments on Shang Chi being a "win" if it goes over $23M, I can't take main coverage seriously right now.

That said, WrathofHan and I said last weekend that Free Guy would make $27M this weekend, and I'd consider that a "good" result.  And it's actually going slightly above.

So, it's a good open.  Is it worthy of wild praise - no.  But, it is nice to celebrate the wins we get, even if they are small wins, since they are few and far between this summer.  

3 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Yes, but those did not involve a giant CGI rock monster.

3 hours ago, Free Eric said:

Dude the video's like 3 minutes long. The CGI rock monster just sits around doing nothing for a whole minute. I sincerely doubt it was this ultra expensive promo you're making it out to be.

Nothing else to say really. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Officially is neither, we know is between 100 an 125.

Probably something in between is the most realistic

no no Free Guy has over $125M budget and over $185M marketing budget and is a failure just like that other movie based on an IP that got released last week that won’t even reach the first day total of its predecessor. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

I never said more, I said it was comparable considering this had a much larger push.

Not the perfect comp but according to iSpot Disney spent ~$10.3M in US TV ad spend while Suicide Squad spent $18.8M. There's a chance that the % if budget that is US only or TV only is significantly less for Free Guy than TSS, but its most likely that in addition to the higher production budget, TSS had a much larger P&A budget

• Like 2

Film was great fun. Ryan was great, Jodie was great, the use of Mariah Carey was appreciated. The CGI is fabulous, film looks expensive and the money is on the screen. 

It wasn’t as funny as I thought it would be, I’m not sure if I laughed out loud at all, but it’s all just so clever and I enjoyed the small references.

Taika Waititi is grating though, a very unthreatening villain and he’s doing some sort of impression that I didn’t think was appropriate and found quite jarring. 

4/5

• Like 3

Saw this last night and really enjoyed it, much better than I was expecting, it’s just a really fun time with a surprising amount of heart to it. One of the cameos at the end was absolutely perfect!

I’d love to watch anyone over 50 watch this though, I’d imagine a lot of it would go completely over their heads if they’ve never played a videogame.

Just saw this a couple of hours ago. Really enjoyed it. A lot of fun with some good laughs but also quite sweet and emotional in parts. 

One thing I like was that they didn’t overdo it with all the video game references(characters, vehicles, weapons etc..) from actual games. 

Visually it looked great; even with all the stuff happening on screen when he put the glasses on. 

Loved all the cameos and Easter eggs as well. 

• Like 1