kayumanggi

CAPTAIN MARVEL | 701.4 M overseas ● 1128.3 M worldwide

1 minute ago, Johnny Tran said:

Ant-Man had zero End Game tie ins,  far less promotion,  far less everything..  I don't see the comparison at all.  Marvel threw everything but the kitchen sink at this.  Ant-Man was on its own.  

? ok i guess i dont even know why the compariosn both films are succeses the end 

11 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Ant-Man had zero End Game tie ins,  far less promotion,  far less everything..  I don't see the comparison at all.  Marvel threw everything but the kitchen sink at this.  Ant-Man was on its own.  

Ant-Man 1... o.K., but I disagree with the why what....

CM had a pager in the mid-credits that a lot of ppl did not understand. I remember very well how often I had to explain what that means to co-audience, but also to friends, or people who asked me because they know I do know some background, and even pupils of mine.

Not everywhere was tons of advertisement,... not everywhere is even a comic book culture (or better said: a comic book culture focused on US comics, here a lot love Belgium and French based comics)

I see people having another POV, but I know also how many thought early on it will get far less than it actually already reached.

Me personally am very cautious in the amounts I am hoping for, its already way above that.

I mean, who had thought it might reach BPs OS numbers without having had an intro beforehand in another movie?

And BP was a known connection to IW also at that time, but with more 'connections shown' material.

Its also way over DS already, and that is the most recent intro movie (= without a beforehand intro).

its over GotG that too had connections (GotG 2 even more obvious, also surpassed)

In comparison Exchange rates are actually ~ - 5%, see the drop IW to today in the Avengers Endgame thread here in International = many reasons why it is not a matter of course to reach what it already did.

30 minutes ago, john2000 said:

? ok i guess i dont even know why the comparison both films are successes in the end 

I do not really compare them, I only say to me its mind blowing that CM will end with ~ 2 times of Ant-Man's results = nothing negative about Ant-Man, just a ~ visual how nice an success CM has

• Like 1

1 minute ago, terrestrial said:

I do not really compare them, I only say to me its mind blowing that CM will end with ~ 2 times of Ant-Man's results = nothing negative about Ant-Man, just a ~ visual how nice an success CM has

The haters will say that CM's gross is not good because it's less than Aquaman. Watch.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, UserHN said:

The haters will say that CM's gross is not good because it's less than Aquaman. Watch.

well it could pass aquaman but yeah even if it falls short it will probably be for like 20 million or so watch out for haters

Edited by john2000
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, john2000 said:

well it could pass aquaman but yeah even if it falls short it will probably be for like 20 million or so watch out for haters

Umm the "haters" already said that Aquaman making one billion is no big deal because "every" movie makes one billion now.  I told them in the Aquaman thread that I would remember those comments. LOL. 

• Like 3
  • Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, Johnny Tran said:

Umm the "haters" already said that Aquaman making one billion is no big deal because "every" movie makes one billion now.  I told them in the Aquaman thread that I would remember those comments. LOL. 

superhero genre continues to be very strong so much for fatigue

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Johnny Tran said:

Fucking come off it man. That’s not what was said at all, and fanboys like you have been mischaracterizing and then whining about the mischaracterization for weeks now. It’s stale, move on.   

Edit: Leaving this for posterity, but please see further conversation below where things are clarified with a nicer tone.

Edited by Thanos Legion

1 minute ago, Thanos Legion said:

Fucking come off it man. That’s not what was said at all, and fanboys like you have been mischaracterizing and then whining about the mischaracterization for weeks now. It’s stale, move on.

I'm a fan of lots of different kinds of movies and I don't care about one studio over another.  I'm simply addressing what was said about movies that make it to the one billion mark. 

3 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

I'm a fan of lots of different kinds of movies and I don't care about one studio over another.  I'm simply addressing what was said about movies that make it to the one billion mark. 

But you aren’t though. If you addressed what was actually said I’d have 0 problem.      

What was actually said is that 1B isn’t nearly as impressive as it was even half a decade ago — not that it’s “no big deal” now. That’s clearly true, and applies equally to CM.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 1

I see why we have a fan wars thread. Trolls need somewhere to go. I'm glad Aquaman killed it, really happy CM is doing so well and I hope Shazam crushes expectations

Absolutely agree that earning 1 billion 10 years ago was way harder.

Average ticket price in US is up 30% in 10 years.

Edited by cdsacken
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Thanos Legion said:

But you aren’t though. If you addressed what was actually said I’d have 0 problem.      

What was actually said is that 1B isn’t nearly as impressive as it was even half a decade ago — not that it’s “no big deal” now. That’s clearly true, and applies equally to CM.

And I still disagree with it.  There are about 30 movies give or take in history that have reached the mark. There are some huge movies that have come out the past five years and not reached that point. 800+,  900+ ...   all great numbers.  1 billion is still a pretty exclusive club. 

57 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

And I still disagree with it.  There are about 30 movies give or take in history that have reached the mark. There are some huge movies that have come out the past five years and not reached that point. 800+,  900+ ...   all great numbers.  1 billion is still a pretty exclusive club. 

Billion dollar by year (if we include re-release box office),  is getting less and less exclusive:

2018 5
2017 4
2016 4
2015 5
2014 1
2013 2
2012 4
2011 3
2010 2
2009 1
2008 1
2006 1
2003 1
1999 1
1997 1
1993 1

But quite stable in the last 4 year's.

It was obviously way more impressive before 2010 than after, 2012 was an other jump, but between 2018 and say 2013

global-box-office-revenue.jpg

2014 was hit by an exchange rate drop/China slowing down a bit some years, that could support your point, some 2018 movie do not make 1 billion in 2013, but maybe Alice in wonderland do not do a billion in 2018.

Of all the 2018 billion dollar movie , which with a similar performance/buzz do not reach the billion in 2012-2013 time ? Only Aquaman  ?

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

First off the domstic ticket price increase is one thing but it's the growth of OS markets that has made the 1B club more easily attainable.

And they didn't say it wasn't hard to get 1B still only the best of the year get to that mark but lets say 10 years ago we had only 1B movie each year and surtainly not 3-5 a year so the comment is accurate it's not as hard as it used to be but it's still a great and impressive feet.

Edited by pepsa
  • Like 5

Aquaman still would have been a great success even without inflated OS values. People cling to the 1 billion value but it doesn't matter. Had it been released 5 years earlier and did 800+ million that still would have been amazing.

Edited by cdsacken