Cap

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever | Nov 11 2022 | Starring 2023 Best Supporting Actress Oscar Nominee Angela Bassett. She did not do the thing!

I mean it’s headed toward 2.5 which is exactly what should have been expected before it even opened imo but is hardly great legs either. CapitalizIng on a low competition xmas period should have been baked into everyone’s late run expectations but for some reason mostly wasn’t, and on the other hand great late legs just don’t matter much to total legs which are largely set by wk2 2-4.

Edited by Legion in Boots
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Legion in Boots said:

I mean it’s headed toward 2.5 which is exactly what should have been expected before it even opened imo but is hardly great legs either. CapitalizIng on a low competition xmas period should have been baked into everyone’s late run expectations but for some reason mostly wasn’t, and on the other hand great late legs just don’t matter much to total legs which are largely set by wk2 2-4.

Yeah I'm not exactly super impressed. At the end of the day it needed Thanksgiving + Christmas holidays just to get to around a 2.5 multi. That's a multi that would have been reasonable for it without any holidays to prop it up. 

In hindsight, the main thing that kept it from legging out even better was the really soft early weekdays. Slightly stronger weekdays would have led to even better weekends, and then add on the lucrative holidays and it would have challenged $500M which is probably closer to what a lot of people expected from the sequel to Black Panther.

That said, I'm glad it's hanging on here and doing so well almost two months later.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Legion in Boots said:

The legs are dragged down by the holiday opening too. Vet did more harm to total/OW than Xmas did help. Thanksgiving does make holidays a net help relative to a totally vanilla all school weeks date.

I don’t get why it didn’t open November 4th. Veterans Day would’ve helped the next weekend.

21 minutes ago, YM! said:

I don’t get why it didn’t open November 4th. Veterans Day would’ve helped the next weekend.

I mean, this was probably better for total (vet helps a bigger day, higher grosses for Thanksgiving and Xmas since a week closer). Studios don't have any real reason to care about our hobbyist total/ow stat

4 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Bassett being on a ever increasingly clear path to an Oscar win does seem to contradict all these "diminishing returns" narratives around Marvel 

Yeah, I'm sure the oscar win if happens will magically increase Black Panther's gross over the first one.

6 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Bassett being on a ever increasingly clear path to an Oscar win does seem to contradict all these "diminishing returns" narratives around Marvel 

Not at all no, even if it happens those are totally orthogonal 

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

I mean, let's not get ahead of ourselves. She needs to actually be nominated first (something that isn't a guarantee even if she makes SAG today given the genre-y nature of her movie).

19 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Yeah it's almost like there was several major events that impacted production and a major market it wasn't released in. Hm...

Let's be honest here: This movie is basically saved by the T'Challa tribute factor, both domestically and overseas. Had Shuri becoming a Black Panther been a simple passing of the torch thing like Sam's Captain America, then WF would have struggled at the box office in an even bigger way.

Well the academy loved the first BP and WF definitely saved phase 4 from going out with a dude. This will be a perfect Oscar for Bassett. The MCU really need to make more serious movies like BP. WF had some of the best acting ever for an MCU movie. Think people are tired of the Thor like jokes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Factcheck said:

Let's be honest here: This movie is basically saved by the T'Challa tribute factor, both domestically and overseas. Had Shuri becoming a Black Panther been a simple passing of the torch thing like Sam's Captain America, then WF would have struggled at the box office in an even bigger way.

Source?

2 hours ago, Factcheck said:

The "T'Challa tribute factor" is the reason it was a passing of the torch lmao. If Chadwick had been alive it obviously would've been a T'Challa movie. 

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Like 6