Cap

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever | Nov 11 2022 | Starring 2023 Best Supporting Actress Oscar Nominee Angela Bassett. She did not do the thing!

I do think that BP:WF is a poorly made film from a technical standpoint. I enjoyed the film overall, story is decent, characters, acting, score top notch. Other technical elements not so much. VFX not great at all. Cinematography is trash. Very soft colours, too much close-ups, not sharply edited.

Having said that I do agree that lot of cinemas operating sub-optimal level which becomes apparent with big blockbusters. Since many chains got rid of projectionists, there is little maintenance going on. Brightness should be checked monthly if not fortnightly, and I bet they hardly ever get a proper look. So it is very possible that those of you who expereinced "dark" footage might have watched it in a screen where the lamp is close to its end life thus the brightness levels were pretty low. If you watched it in standard 3D, it's your fault, worst possible option, should avoid that unless it's true IMAX 3D.

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

3 hours ago, The Dark Alfred said:

I do think that BP:WF is a poorly made film from a technical standpoint. I enjoyed the film overall, story is decent, characters, acting, score top notch. Other technical elements not so much. VFX not great at all. Cinematography is trash. Very soft colours, too much close-ups, not sharply edited.

Having said that I do agree that lot of cinemas operating sub-optimal level which becomes apparent with big blockbusters. Since many chains got rid of projectionists, there is little maintenance going on. Brightness should be checked monthly if not fortnightly, and I bet they hardly ever get a proper look. So it is very possible that those of you who expereinced "dark" footage might have watched it in a screen where the lamp is close to its end life thus the brightness levels were pretty low. If you watched it in standard 3D, it's your fault, worst possible option, should avoid that unless it's true IMAX 3D.

Lolwut, Wakanda Forever may have problems, but being a poorly made film is not one of them.

Good grief. Been hearing this same b/s color palate argument about mcu films since 2011.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, exomassey said:

Namors missing dick is going viral.

Marvel use their VFX to change everything lol

really? I saw the movie in the second row up front and was distracted by his penis print in the scene on the beach with the queen.(not spoiling anything, it’s in the trailer).

8 hours ago, The Dark Alfred said:

It’s definitely a xenon bulb issue with cinemas running them until the absolute last moment before they die. When I worked at Cineworld, we did weekly checks on all the brightness of the bulbs, but unless it fell below 1.0 brightness we were told to leave it. I remember a 3D showing of The Martian that was practically unwatchable and resulted in a lot of refunds.

For what it’s worth, I saw BPWF last week in a normal screen at a cinema that seems to care about projection quality, and it looked absolutely fine in terms of brightness, so it’s not a problem on the filmmakers end.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Factcheck said:

Unfortunately, we won't get his solo movie or mutant team-up movie in the MCU before 2027.

Feige and Co. have been known to flip around things before... I don't think there's any need to stick to such rigid planning if they have momentum for something/someone that has shown up.  They were probably waiting to see how he was received...but I wouldn't be surprised at all if we hear an announcement in the Trades before the end of the year of a project brewing, centered around Namor...which could very well be produced and released within 2-3 years. 

Edited by Macleod

12 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Feige and Co. have been known to flip around things before... I don't think there's any need to stick to such rigid planning if they have momentum for something/someone that has shown up.  They were probably waiting to see how he was received...but I wouldn't be surprised at all if we hear an announcement in the Trades before the end of the year of a project brewing, centered around Namor...which could very well be produced and released within 2-3 years. 

12 minutes ago, Macleod said:

You were saying the same for Shang-Chi 2, that it would be announced at SDCC or D23 and get a 2024 release date, but see what happened. They would release sequels to Shang-Chi, Eternals, DS2, and Thor 4 first, and then Black Panther 3 or its spinoff will follow.

Edit: I forgot about Armor Wars, it is already announced.

Edited by Factcheck

5 minutes ago, Factcheck said:

You were saying the same for Shang-Chi 2, that it would be announced at SDCC or D23 and get a 2024 release date, but see what happened. They would release sequels to Shang-Chi, Eternals, DS2, and Thor 4 first, and then Black Panther 3 or its spinoff will follow.

Edit: I forgot about Armor Wars, it is already announced.

Yes, but Armor Wars has been continuously pushed back/pushed around...still no firm date, right?  No guarantees anywhere, and indeed I am surprised there's not quicker movement on a Shang-Chi sequel... But with Cretton hired for Kang, Feige/Marvel are clearly prioritizing the Avengers 2-parter for business reasons ahead of Shang-Chi.  But yes, I wouldn't be surprised to see Namor show up again sooner than people think, and possibly in a solo project.  At least...that's what I would do.  There is obviously a huge Latino audience/demographic to tap into.  

On 11/16/2022 at 7:35 PM, KJsooner said:

Good grief. Been hearing this same b/s color palate argument about mcu films since 2011.

The first Black Panther was much visually richer than Wakanda Forever. Here's a good article about this film's subpar visual quality: https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/black-panther-wakanda-forever-cinematography

I caught some flack on here for saying this a few months ago, but it ended up being true:

Something hadn't been sitting right with me for a while re; Wakanda Forever, and I just realized what. In liu of Coogler's choice of cinematographer (he brought his Fruitville Station DP on for Black Panther), this time Marvel Studios brought in their Loki cinematographer. And Wakanda Forever has a much more digital visual feel as a result.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think this will have a nice hold over the next weekend. But let's see after that.

Weekend 3: 41.5 / 349.2

Weekend 4: 18.7 / 377.8

Weekend 5: 10.5 / 393.5

Weekend 6: 6.6 / 404.7

Weekend 7: 5.5 / 413.3

Weekend 8: 3.1 / 420.9

Weekend 9: 1.9 / 423.9

Weekend 10: 1.1 / 425.6

Weekend 11: 0.6/ 426.6

Weekend 12: 0.3 / 427.1

It may have a stronger hold here and there during the weekdays and pull $430-435 million, but I think that's about it. And $400 million international box office.

10 hours ago, ViktorLosAngeles said:

I think this will have a nice hold over the next weekend. But let's see after that.

Weekend 3: 41.5 / 349.2

Weekend 4: 18.7 / 377.8

Weekend 5: 10.5 / 393.5

Weekend 6: 6.6 / 404.7

Weekend 7: 5.5 / 413.3

Weekend 8: 3.1 / 420.9

Weekend 9: 1.9 / 423.9

Weekend 10: 1.1 / 425.6

Weekend 11: 0.6/ 426.6

Weekend 12: 0.3 / 427.1

It may have a stronger hold here and there during the weekdays and pull $430-435 million, but I think that's about it. And $400 million international box office.

Yikes those are massive drops for the next few weeks. And Thanksgiving will be MUCH higher.

Weekend 3: 50m (+42m)=380m

Weekend 4: 23m (+12m)=415m

Weekend 5: 14m(+7m)=436m

Weekend 6: 7m (+4m)=447m (Avatar 2 comes out)

Weekend 7: 4m(+4m)=455m (more and more off as week goes by, Christmas Eve Saturday, Christmas Sunday)

Weekend 8: 3m(+5m)=463m (everyone off during the week, New Years weekend)

Weekend 9: 1.8m(+1.7m)=466.5

Weekend 10: 1.0m (+0.5m)=468m (MLK weekend)

Weekend 11: 0.6m(+0.5m)=469.5m (MLK Monday helps midweek)

Weekend 12: 0.3m(+0.2m)=470m (comes out on D+)

So $470-$475 m seems to me to be a better estimate

WW: $885-$900 m. (International roughly 47% of total)

• Like 1

I don't watch all of the superhero films, but it was refreshing to see one rooted in sincerity and with genuine stakes. Overall, I really enjoyed this. The strongest element was the cast - they were firing on all cylinders.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 5