Sheikh

Weekend Thread | Venom with -55.5% drop - 35.7m | A Star is Born -34.7% - 28m | First Man disappointing with 16.5m | Goosebumps 2 16.225m | Bad Times for Bad Times At The El Royale with 7.225m

5 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

Hopefully they underestimated sunday again. i know there is no holiday this time but sunday is usually pretty big for women's films. 7.8M sunday would mean quite bit 34% drop from saturday

Edited by Damianport1

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

1 Yeh there are. 

2 Thats very clear, especially with Marvel films, it seems to be a last chance saloon for lots of the actors involved (RDJ, Ruffalo, Rudd), or one that the actors can’t break free from their characters (Hemsworth, Evans) 

AKA, why aren't people who star in lots of blockbusters starring in other blockbusters?

Ruffalo been nominated for two Oscars since joining the MCU in the kind of Indie movies he was making before he joined the MCU.

Rudd is doing some of the same low key comedies he did pre AM but instead of doing a couple of Aptow movies that made good money he's done AM movies that have made a lot more money

RDJ who while playing IM (in 7 blockbusters and counting in 10 years) , was also nominated for an Oscar (Tropic of Thunder - a nice sized hit)  also did the only Ritchie directed movies that were actual blockbusters - but sure cherry pick the R rated family drama with mediocre reviews he made that only did $90m WW.

Evans only does indie movies (and recently theater) between his Cap movies as a choice.  Snowpiercer was a critical and financial success kneecapped in the US & UK market by Weinstein.   Gifted a small budget indie specialty release did quite well - specialty release means far less in marketing $ even if it eventually rolls out wide. So yes $43m WW on a $7m budget is a success.  At the time it was the highest grossing film Fox Searchlight had out in 2 years.

Hemsworth - yeah he's had some notable big swings and misses outside of the MCU  though the recent 12 Strong did OK-ish and he has Men In Black coming up so he's still not having trouble getting bigger projects.

I guess Pratt and JW  nor Johannson and Lucy don't count. Nor SJ doing movies like Under Her Skin or Her nor winning a Tony on Broadway.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

AKA, why aren't people who star in lots of blockbusters starring in other blockbusters?

Ruffalo been nominated for two Oscars since joining the MCU in the kind of Indie movies he was making before he joined the MCU.

Rudd is doing some of the same low key comedies he did pre AM but instead of doing a couple of Aptow movies that made good money he's done AM movies that have made a lot more money

RDJ who while playing IM (in 7 blockbusters and counting in 10 years) , was also nominated for an Oscar (Tropic of Thunder - a nice sized hit)  also did the only Ritchie directed movies that were actual blockbusters - but sure cherry pick the R rated family drama with mediocre reviews he made that only did $90m WW.

Evans only does indie movies (and recently theater) between his Cap movies as a choice.  Snowpiercer was a critical and financial success kneecapped in the US & UK market by Weinstein.   Gifted a small budget indie specialty release did quite well - specialty release means far less in marketing $ even if it eventually rolls out wide. So yes $43m WW on a $7m budget is a success.  At the time it was the highest grossing film Fox Searchlight had out in 2 years.

Hemsworth - yeah he's had some notable big swings and misses outside of the MCU  though the recent 12 Strong did OK-ish and he has Men In Black coming up so he's still not having trouble getting bigger projects.

I guess Pratt and JW  nor Johannson and Lucy don't count. Nor SJ doing movies like Under Her Skin or Her nor winning a Tony on Broadway.

You really misunderstood what I said, or didn’t read it. 

Thanks for the CV’s, but I know they’re still getting work and have had successful careers haha

I just said they can’t seem to open a film now and I also said “recently”, hence why I listed only their most recent films. 

Edited by Krissykins

6 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

You really misunderstood what I said, or didn’t read it. 

Thanks for the CV’s, but I know they’re still getting work and have had successful careers haha

I just said they can’t seem to open a film now and I also said “recently”, hence why I listed only their most recent films. 

I read it and called it out for the cherry picking and misreading of B.O. and career paths it was to prop up this erroneous conclusion

Thats very clear, especially with Marvel films, it seems to be a last chance saloon for lots of the actors involved (RDJ, Ruffalo, Rudd), or one that the actors can’t break free from their characters (Hemsworth, Evans) 

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Damianport1 said:

Hopefully they underestimated sunday again. i know there is no holiday this time but sunday is usually pretty big for women's films. 7.8M sunday would mean quite bit 34% drop from saturday

34% drop is better than usual/border line typical for October. 

Although who knows considering the film has great WOM 

Edited by Nova