Sheikh

Weekend Thread | Venom with -55.5% drop - 35.7m | A Star is Born -34.7% - 28m | First Man disappointing with 16.5m | Goosebumps 2 16.225m | Bad Times for Bad Times At The El Royale with 7.225m

UPDATE, writethru: Sony’s Venom kept its fangs sharp in this sophomore session, topping the worldwide charts again with $105.4M, including $69.7M at the international box office. The Tom Hardy-starrer has lifted its global cume to $378.1M after 12 days with overseas contributing $235.3M. Venom, based on the Marvel property, was No. 1 in 54 markets this frame including a handful of new hubs and was down 47% versus last weekend in the holdovers. It’s tracking 32% above Ant-Man And The Wasp and 12% over Doctor Strange for the same group of markets and at the same point in release.

:Venom:

Singing along, Warner Bros’ A Star Is Born saw a drop of just 14% since it took the stage last weekend. The $20.2M frame in 65 markets lifts the offshore cume to a running $41.2M. Italy (where the Bradley Cooper/Lady Gaga-starrer world premiered during the Venice Film Festival) was the top opener, followed by Brazil and Mexico. A tiny 6% drop in the UK, along with small dips in France and Germany — and a 4% increase in Spain where Friday was a holiday — show that word of mouth is working as audiences take time to discover the buzzy movie.

:Gaga:

16 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Where did your hope go? :whosad: 

To Gaga :(

I was confident in this, but the mixed reactions and lack of genuine buzz (or maybe that’s just cause Halloween will overshadow it for the next week or so) has me concerned.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Rumpot said:

Hahaha. You sir, are laughable.  This forum should be about factual analysis and not just a place for taking out a bad mood you're having.

>imagine thinking this is even a good take down of my points

I never would've thought there would be actual Venom stans

To be fair, I don’t see why First Man can’t end up playing out like Bridge of Spies (mid teens opening, awards contender with little hope of winning anything big other than technical/supporting?). 70/70 split would be kinda nice for this given the opening. We’ll see though.

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

Bohemian's going to barely make 100M. You can quote me on that too (cause if I'm wrong I'm wrong). Halloween is going to be big, but I don't think it's going to hurt ASIB as much as some people are thinking. Wouldn't say 200 is locked, but it's definitely possible. 

See, I see Halloween as being in the "It" audience breakdown category.  Last year, It drew 51% female/49% male OW, but worse for ASIB, it drew 67% of its audience from those aged 25+.  That's unusual for a horror film, but I think it will be the usual for Halloween, b/c you have folks who were in their teens watching the original who are now in their 50s lining up to see this film:)...

Since ASIB is drawing so old, it can't help to be sliced some by the Halloween opener (the older women, who really don't have much to see now, will finally have another good, buzzy film to attend)...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Wouldn't it hurt Venom more than ASiB?

Probably. But I also think it will also help Venom more than ASIB from sell-outs. Either way, I think Halloween's effect on ASIB is going to be minimal either way, unless theatres are cutting showtimes to make room for Halloween, but there are plenty of other movies whose showtimes can be cut. 

• Thanks 1