Sheikh

Weekend Thread | Venom with -55.5% drop - 35.7m | A Star is Born -34.7% - 28m | First Man disappointing with 16.5m | Goosebumps 2 16.225m | Bad Times for Bad Times At The El Royale with 7.225m

• Founder / Operator
2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

It's interesting that some films based on real events or people like Sully or American Sniper can be hugely successful but some like First Man just fall flat.

Poor timing in the wake of ASIB since both target older viewers... First Man maybe even more so.

I think FM will leg out just fine, though. Bohemian Rhapsody is the only thing that might dent it in the weeks to come, and that's distant enough not to be a concern, IMHO. I wish I could say $100M Domestic is guaranteed, but it still has a lot of life ahead with a big Oscar push coming in 2-3 months.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

Avengers: -55,5% 

AM&W: -61,6%

Incredibles 2: -56%

Venom would have 58-57% drop. So, What exactly did you want to say? Or Is this just pure trolling?

Those are all summer OWs with better then average weekdays, not to mention last I looked Venom was projected for a 63% drop. That's not a good sign.

• Disbelief 1

11 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Those are all summer OWs with better then average weekdays, not to mention last I looked Venom was projected for a 63% drop. That's not a good sign. 

Venom is going to pass x3 its budget this weekend after 10 days (without China).

So rejoice, have no fear, the Venomverse is a go! :Venom:

• Thanks 3

25 minutes ago, DAR said:

What’s the budget on First Man?

$60-$70M 

36 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Poor timing in the wake of ASIB since both target older viewers... First Man maybe even more so.

I think FM will leg out just fine, though. Bohemian Rhapsody is the only thing that might dent it in the weeks to come, and that's distant enough not to be a concern, IMHO. I wish I could say $100M Domestic is guaranteed, but it still has a lot of life ahead with a big Oscar push coming in 2-3 months.

If both ASIB and First Man are targeting the older viewers then wouldn't that hurt First Man's legs until Bohemian comes out? I mean ASIB isn't going anywhere anytime soon... 

But I think a good indicator of where First Man's legs are headed will be its drop next weekend. If it drops more than 40%, I don't see it having good legs tbh 

Edited by Nova

• Founder / Operator
34 minutes ago, Nova said:

$60-$70M 

If both ASIB and First Man are targeting the older viewers then wouldn't that hurt First Man's legs until Bohemian comes out? I mean ASIB isn't going anywhere anytime soon... 

But I think a good indicator of where First Man's legs are headed will be its drop next weekend. If it drops more than 40%, I don't see it having good legs tbh 

To be fair, I haven't seen the movie yet. But at the level it's opening, and the intent of the studio to give it an Oscar push, I wouldn't assume too much based on opening weekend alone. Just my two cents, though.

• Thanks 1

Kinda hoping the flag backlash is seen as contributing to the First Man underperformance     Didn’t like what I was hearing about the omissions and downplaying of the American angle. Don’t want that to be a habit and now I don’t think it will be. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, lilmac said:

Kinda hoping the flag backlash is seen as contributing to the First Man underperformance     Didn’t like what I was hearing about the omissions and downplaying of the American angle. Don’t want that to be a habit and now I don’t think it will be. 

It's in the movie. I watched it earlier today and took a picture of it with my phone (sorry guys! I know Im not supposed to do that.) 

Look: 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQIjomEPdNBLyn3GgRScAW

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Astonished 2

8 minutes ago, Nova said:

It's in the movie. I watched it earlier today and took a picture of it with my phone (sorry guys! I know Im not supposed to do that.) 

Look: 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQIjomEPdNBLyn3GgRScAW

America where we let stupid nontroversies run out daily lives

• Sad 1

The people bothered by First Man not showing the actual planting of the flag (preferably in slo-mo) likely wouldn't have seen it in the first place on account of the fact that it was made by evil Hollywood liberals like 99% of the stuff that comes from the industry.

Edited by filmlover

13 hours ago, filmlover said:

Hollywood Reporter is reporting that Beautiful Boy is looking at the biggest PTA of the year so far with over $84K from 4 theaters. Woah if that holds up.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-first-man-launches-11m-previews-1151832

They and Variety have updated their articles and say that it's headed towards $50-60K average for the weekend. Now that makes more sense heh.

Victoria Update:

Bad Times Total Saturday: 122 tickets sold (up from 78 yesterday, breakdown between 4 shows is 11/9/73/29)

First Man Regular Total Saturday: 233 tickets sold (up from 205 yesterday, breakdown between 4 shows is 18/42/145/28)

First Man IMAX Total Saturday: 313 tickets sold (up from 288 yesterday, breakdown between 4 shows is 51/49/179/34)

Don't have comps, so lets play with numbers. If Bad Times follows its true Friday trend at these theatres, that would give it 3.53M Saturday (and presumably about 8.5M for the weekend). If I take a different approach and assume the other big theatre playing it that doesn't give out reserved seating numbers sold the same amount of tickets, and the smaller theatre in town sold 1/3 the amount of tickets, and I take an average ticket price off $11 taking into account the prices at all 3 theatres and senior vs adult prices, I'll say $3,135 throughout the city. And with a population of approx. 1/1000th that of the "domestic market" that's 3.135M Saturday. Lots of assumptions, doesn't really fit Occam's Razor but I'm just playing with numbers.

First Man's IMAX using the first method of comp would give a Saturday of (yuck) 6.4M and a weekend about 16.75M? The Regular shows comp would give a Saturday of 6.66M and weekend just over 17M. Last night when I used the "1/1000th of the domestic market" comp I was way over, leading me to think that the movie just really hits the target demo in this market. 

• Like 2