Sheikh

Weekend Thread | Venom with -55.5% drop - 35.7m | A Star is Born -34.7% - 28m | First Man disappointing with 16.5m | Goosebumps 2 16.225m | Bad Times for Bad Times At The El Royale with 7.225m

Guys guys, Assassination Nation has its best weekend hold by far this week, almost 30% better than any other weekend so far! Studio must be happy those legs are starting to kick in.

Date
(click to view chart)
Rank Weekend
Gross
%
Change
Theaters Change / Avg. Gross-to-Date Week
#
Sep 21–23 15 $1,050,021 - 1,403 - $748 $1,050,021 1
Sep 28–30 29 $206,277 -80.4% 1,035 -368 $199 $1,732,024 2
Oct 5–7 66 $7,752 -96.2% 15 -1,020 $517 $1,941,708 3
Oct 12–14 41 $3,643
(Estimate)
-53.0% 5 -10 $729 $1,951,748
(Estimate
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 7

39 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

tenor.gif?itemid=5388171

The Edge of Seventeen already has a cult following and is spawning a franchise. Deal with it, Pink.

38 minutes ago, MrPink said:

A Youtube Red series is not what I'd call a franchise tbh. 

There’s a series?

47 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

tenor.gif?itemid=5388171

The Edge of Seventeen already has a cult following and is spawning a franchise. Deal with it, Pink.

A good little movie. Shame it bombed. That girl (forget her name) should focus full time on movies instead of the shitty pop songs she does. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Venom doing alright isn’t too bad, it should have a shot between $180-$200 million. 

A Star Is Born is also having strong legs, and is doing great for an muisician turne actor/actress and should hold up even better and should finish in the $150 vicinity.

First Man was actually a pretty good movie but without it being the space “event” movie of the fall unlike The Martian and Gravity it was rough to get it to do big numbers. So possibly $40-$50 million domestic. Thankfully Universal isn’t in a big dud with it, as Halloween should make them back in 5 days!

Goosebumps 2 pulling in over $15 million isn’t bad for a sequel without the main star from the original, and for its smaller budget Sony should be moderately satisfied. However, anything around $40 million wouldn’t be surprisng if that’s all it makes.

Smallfoot and Night School are having almost identical drops this weekend! Smallfoot still playing strong with families and should make $70-$75 million domestic. Night School coming close to $60 million this weekend, and should make north of $70 million.

Chris Hemsworth returned with Cabin In The Woods writer/director Drew Goddard with Bad Times At The El Royale this weekend. However, The debut was less than half of Cabin’s $14.7 million debut 6 years ago! As it was Bad for Bad Times, this debut is roughly on-par or almost identical Fox’s other R-rated film bombs with Runner Runner($7.7 million) and The Counselor ($7.8 million). Although critics seemed to appreciate the film, Fox didn’t have much else except good looking people in a good looking murder mystery. Bad Times should make $15 million domestic.

House with that long title still doing fine for Eli Roth and Universal. It should make north of $70 million.

The Hate U Give had a good expansion but we”ll see about its future.

A Simple Favor had a larger drop this weekend. But should earn between $55-$60 million.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Predictable vs achievement though. 34% is still the much more impressive hold in my eyes. And ASIB is still having a much more interesting run. 

Sure, Venoms drop isn’t as dreadful as it could have been. But it’s still a 55% drop. It’s not as if it held in the 40’s. Plus it’s Cinemascore wasn’t bad (B+?). Just critics reviews that were horrendous. It’s playing at a smaller level than recent CBM’s too.

(Edit- Venom opening to more than Ant-Man 2 despite a summer release date makes me smile, and I haven’t seen either of them, haha)

55% drop, for a big comic book movie, is pretty damn strong, especially for one with poor critic reviews, so I'd chock it up as both unpredictable and an achievement. As a matter of fact, besides Black Panther, it's the 2nd best cbm 2nd weekend drop of the year. Sure, it opened smaller, but I didn't expect that. Obviously ASIB's hold is fantastic and far better on a vacuum, all things considered, but if you have something that is an unexpected positive proof of staying power, I feel like that might be the story of the weekend (since that was the topic at hand). You don't have to drop in the 40's to be noteworthy, that's just a close-minded, damn near Grace Randolphian way of seeing things. Venom had no business dropping less than 60%, and now we are at a scenario where the hold was good enough to let it take a shot at reaching Solo DOM, when almost no one thought it would even get to 200M before OW. ASIB would've been shocking if it did worse than 40%, especially after its weekday numbers, and it ended up with a similar enough (and actually better) number to that of the also high opening adult drama Sully, so there's a precedent for this kind of performance. That's difference when it comes to 'stories of the weekend'.

(For the record, I am not a fan of Venom's existance as a movie, nor have I seen the movie yet; I'm just calling it as I see it box office-wise.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Kinda hope Goosebumps and Bad Times end up on Netflix or something within the next year. I'd be interested in seeing both at some point down the road. 

Would go see Bad Times in theatres next weekend, but I found that Hate u Give is playing at one of the theatres in town, so I think I'll make that and Halloween a priority. 

16 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Chris Hemsworth returned with Cabin In The Woods writer/director Drew Goddard with Bad Times At The El Royale this weekend. However, The debut was less than half of Cabin’s $14.7 million debut 6 years ago!

Cabin in the Woods was also hard to explain, but at least it belonged to a popular genre.

16 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Smallfoot and Night School are having almost identical drops this weekend! Smallfoot still playing strong with families and should make $70-$75 million domestic. Night School coming close to $60 million this weekend, and should make north of $70 million.

if it stays in 3,000+ screens the next 3 weeks, should make it to 80

There's a few successes and failures that I think I want to talk about. I'll skip over Venom and A Star is Born because there's not much else to really say about their successes that hasn't been said before.

First Man fizzling out is upsetting. I don't know what I expected of it, but I never thought general audiences would treat it like they did Steve Jobs (2015) and Deepwater Horizon. The film should still factor into awards, but it's likely no longer a major threat to win.

Goosebumps 2: Happy Halloween did much better than I expected it to do, especially because both this film and Venom are backed by Sony Pictures. I'm the kids enjoyed this.

Smallfoot has another good hold, especially considering the competition. I'm not going to trick myself into thinking the legs will become as excellent as Hotel Transylvania 3's, because of school having started and because The Grinch is about to bulldoze through whatever's left of it in four weeks' time, but I feel like this is a win for WAG. I know they're going to turn towards adaptions for a few years, but hopefully there comes a time when the studio is willing to have another go with originals, because while I haven't seen Smallfoot for myself, I can tell that it at least shows promise.

Bad Times at the El Royale might be regarded as a cult classic in the coming years, but its time doesn't seem to be now. I appreciate Drew Goddard for trying though!

The Hate U Give had a pretty good expansion! I actually hope it succeeds because it looks more uplifting and genuine than I previously thought; I guess it's rated high for a reason!

A Simple Favor has, over time, become a much needed win for Lionsgate, as they've been having a bit of a rough year this time around.

Gosnell: The Trial of America's Biggest Serial Killer was able to do a respectable amount in 673 theaters, considering the circumstances! GVN Releasing last film was an absolute flop in about the same amount of theaters, so I bet the distributor is giving a sigh of relief! Of course, the film's gross isn't best by any means or anything, but the film was crowdfunded, and it's not like the film was advertised in any way other than grassroots word-of-mouth.

Colette couldn't entice the Victoria & Abdul audience after all... I appreciate Bleecker Street for trying, but they need to get it together, and they need to figure out how to handle wide releases before they jump into it.

The Wife has continued to maintain an excellent specialty gross, to the point where I'd say Glenn Close is almost locked in for an Oscar nomination.

Beautiful Boy had an outstanding PTA, even if it wasn't as high as people were thinking. I'm happy for the film! Hopefully it comes to my town so I can see it!

And lastly, a small platform release, Jane and Emma, did notably well in 21 theaters, so I want to give that film and their distributor, Excel, a shoutout!

(Free Solo has yet to appear on the Box Office Mojo weekend chart, but I'm sure that, however it performed, it'll continue to represent a fascinating run for a documentary.)

• Like 4

55.5%? Not Bad for "Venom" all things considered coming off a record breaking weekend that shocked a lot of people.  Same for "A Star", doing great and shinning.  Sorry but with all the awards hype, I think that's only decent for "Third Man" (See what I did there, lol).  Especially since Sci-Fi in Oct has been doing pretty good the last 5 years.  "Gravity and The Martian" really surprised. Also Ryan last year even with "Blade Runner 2049" is probably going to do better than this.   Maybe a November release would of been better for the Holidays because things aren't going to get better for it with Michael coming to suck up those Halloween dollars.    Pretty good for "Goosebumps" considering Jack didn't return.   It only dropped slightly OW from the original unadjusted and the budget was manageable.  "Bad Times" I guess was a tougher sell for a Hard Thriller in this crowded market.  Good cast but I guess it wasn't enough.  

My TA assigned a ten-page lab report this weekend, and that's why I didn't go see Bad Times. I'm sure Fox can understand that it's like that a million TAs assigned ten page lab reports this weekend, that stopped a million university students from seeing this movie. That's why this movie couldn't open to 15M

Just now, DAJK said:

My TA assigned a ten-page lab report this weekend, and that's why I didn't go see Bad Times. I'm sure Fox can understand that it's like that a million TAs assigned ten page lab reports this weekend, that stopped a million university students from seeing this movie. That's why this movie couldn't open to 15M

Actually, I was supposed to see Bad Times this weekend, as well, but I also got a bunch of homework from my college. Kids, don't ever ever ever study architecture. :whosad:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, La Binoche said:

A good little movie. Shame it bombed. That girl (forget her name) should focus full time on movies instead of the shitty pop songs she does. 

Fingers crossed Bumblebee is a success so she focuses back on movies full time. She's been talking about an album for ages now, and I'm just like whyyyyyyyyy

37 minutes ago, Damianport1 said:

It will easily past 150. Like in two weeks. I think 200 is happening

Not with Halloween and Bohemian coming up. It easily could have done it during a less competitive time but this October/early Nov is insane. 

First Man is a straight up bomb. Not only did it cost 70M but its TV ad spend (per Variety) has been huge. Bad Times also had a big TV ad spend. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Bohemian's going to barely make 100M. You can quote me on that too (cause if I'm wrong I'm wrong). Halloween is going to be big, but I don't think it's going to hurt ASIB as much as some people are thinking. Wouldn't say 200 is locked, but it's definitely possible. 

• ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Gravity and Interstellar are not good comparisons for First Man. Those were fictional dramas and had more action with bigger budgets.  First Man is a biopic at its heart.  The Post and Darkest Hour are more apt comparisons, biopics focused on particular moments in a person's life.