Sheikh

Weekend Thread | Venom with -55.5% drop - 35.7m | A Star is Born -34.7% - 28m | First Man disappointing with 16.5m | Goosebumps 2 16.225m | Bad Times for Bad Times At The El Royale with 7.225m

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

Anyone trying to spin Venom’s second weekend as not good or bad is just trolling at this point. 

This. I remember "Venon will plummet" predictions of between 60-70% drop and now that drop is closer to 55% which is a gold standard for big openers, some people try to put a negative spin. Hell no. Such drop would be a disaster for ASIB cause that type of movie is supposed to have under 50% drops but it's good or even very good for Venom type of a blockbuster. It's obviously a Saturday/Sunday player rather than Friday one which suggests families are into it.

• Like 4

I'm actually pretty shocked at how well Venom held this weekend. As others have mentioned it had an inflated Sunday last weekend, it lost some premium screens this weekend, and it had a huge preview number last Thursday and yet it still only fell 55% this weekend. That's a pretty great hold. Really glad to see A Star is Born doing very well also.

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

There are no movie stars anymore

Franchise/brand is the king now and people's attachment to the franchise character doesn't necessarily extend to an actor/actress outside of the franchise. 

1 Yeh there are. 

2 Thats very clear, especially with Marvel films, it seems to be a last chance saloon for lots of the actors involved (RDJ, Ruffalo, Rudd), or one that the actors can’t break free from their characters (Hemsworth, Evans) 

11 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

This. I remember "Venon will plummet" predictions of between 60-70% drop and now that drop is closer to 55% which is a gold standard for big openers, some people try to put a negative spin. Hell no. Such drop would be a disaster for ASIB cause that type of movie is supposed to have under 50% drops but it's good or even very good for Venom type of a blockbuster. It's obviously a Saturday/Sunday player rather than Friday one which suggests families are into it.

Yeh Venoms drop is solid for what it is. 

A Star Is Born’s -34% drop is the real story this weekend though. 

15 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

1 Yeh there are. 

2 Thats very clear, especially with Marvel films, it seems to be a last chance saloon for lots of the actors involved (RDJ, Ruffalo, Rudd), or one that the actors can’t break free from their characters (Hemsworth, Evans) 

Does Rudd has a career anymore since he signed up with MCU? Not that he can't do anything else since he isn't as used in MCU as some more popular MCU actors, but maybe he hasn't been in anything relevant outside of the franchise for 3 years now? I reemmber he used to headline comedies once.

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

What is it with Avengers not being able to open a film? 

Most recent films:

Chris Hemsworth: Bad Times

Chris Evans: Gifted

RDJ: The Judge

Scar Jo: Rough Night

The new batch of actors rarely lead films either. 

Bad times is film noir though, do they ever do big numbers.

Anyway compared to Margot Robbie s Terminal, it's doing splendid.:hahaha:

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

What is it with Avengers not being able to open a film? 

Most recent films:

Chris Hemsworth: Bad Times

Chris Evans: Gifted

RDJ: The Judge

Scar Jo: Rough Night

The new batch of actors rarely lead films either. 

Hemsworth doesn't really deserve credit for Bad Times opening poorly because the movie was sold as an ensemble (and was a tough sell). And Gifted did fine considering it was a specialty release.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

So, if it's a tie between Goosebumps and First Man's estimates now, with one continually edging up and one continually edging down since Thursday's 1st numbers...I'm almost certain Goosebumps has the edge at this point when actuals come out...

First Man - $5.9, $6.3, and $4 is the estimate...and the 4 is probably too high, so I'd say a hair under $16M is probably it's final landing spot for the weekend...

40 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh Venoms drop is solid for what it is. 

A Star Is Born’s -34% drop is the real story this weekend though. 

ASIB was expected to hold as strongly as it is (few people had it at 40% or more, with most others predicting something in the 30's), while everyone was convinced Venom was going 60%+ (heard some 70% whispers out there). So, that's debatable.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Hemsworth doesn't really deserve credit for Bad Times opening poorly because the movie was sold as an ensemble (and was a tough sell). And Gifted did fine considering it was a specialty release.

Yeah Gifted did very well.

It is more disappointing what happened to ScarJo's career since she joined the MCU, but at least her agent and accountants must be happy.

• Like 1

Gifted did $43M off of $7M budget. Don't really see how that is disappointing tbh 

11 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Yeah Gifted did very well.

It is more disappointing what happened to ScarJo's career since she joined the MCU, but at least her agent and accountants must be happy.

Scarjo's career outside of Marvel is gonna be rough moving forward imo but like you said I don't think she's complaining with her 8 figure paychecks 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Mulder said:

Those are all summer OWs with better then average weekdays, not to mention last I looked Venom was projected for a 63% drop. That's not a good sign.

Hahaha. You sir, are laughable.  This forum should be about factual analysis and not just a place for taking out a bad mood you're having.

3 hours ago, terrestrial said:

Bring some proof that is outside of Venom and is actually proof = links to reliable sources

full capacity sold out showings with new releases >> Venom, holdovers.  assuming Venom is running so-so w/ 4,250 locations +.  2/3 of BvS 2nd weekend.

Edited by gravestonedt

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Does Rudd has a career anymore since he signed up with MCU? Not that he can't do anything else since he isn't as used in MCU as some more popular MCU actors, but maybe he hasn't been in anything relevant outside of the franchise for 3 years now? I reemmber he used to headline comedies once.

Yeh that’s why I said “last chance saloon”. 

59 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Bad times is film noir though, do they ever do big numbers.

Anyway compared to Margot Robbie s Terminal, it's doing splendid.:hahaha:

Relevance? She isn’t in the MCU. 

41 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

ASIB was expected to hold as strongly as it is (few people had it at 40% or more, with most others predicting something in the 30's), while everyone was convinced Venom was going 60%+ (heard some 70% whispers out there). So, that's debatable.

I meant more box office Achievement wise. $42m openers don’t fall 34% too often. 

14 minutes ago, Nova said:

Gifted did $43M off of $7M budget. Don't really see how that is disappointing tbh 

Scarjo's career outside of Marvel is gonna be rough moving forward imo but like you said I don't think she's complaining with her 8 figure paychecks 

It was only limited for one weekend, it got to 2,200 cinemas. It’s wide release PTA’s we’re always well under $3k and it made $24m. I’m sure it made money eventually but it’s Not exactly a runaway hit.