WrathOfHan

Thanksgiving Weekend Thread: ESTIMATES (Page 40) | Ralph 55.7M (84.5M Total) | Creed II 35.3M (55.8M Total) | The Grinch 30.2M | Grindelwald 29.7M | Robin Hood 9.1M (14.2M Total) | AMAZING BLACK FRIDAY SALE

36 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

I really don't understand why Bohemian Rhapsody's success is considered anything of a slight against A Star Is Born - a movie that is going to have made x10 its budget when all is said and done.

The two are barely comparable (original drama featuring original songs v semi-fictionalised biopic that essentially is a stream of music videos of pre-existing massively popular songs), and regardless it's like trying to claim that Avatar outgrossed Jurassic World, ergo the latter is a failure.

"original drama"?  Isn't this like the 4th reincarnation of this movie? 

• Like 1

I know some ppl are pissed at this sanitized version of freddie mercury's life but his music had (still has) mass appeal so it's only fitting that his life story be accessible to everyone. i mean you could make a better gets-aids-in-the-back-alley version that no one sees but what's the point? 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

I really don't understand why Bohemian Rhapsody's success is considered anything of a slight against A Star Is Born

Those people must be joking/trolling (50% of account/message posted here are just jokes people trolling a little bit).

Edited by Barnack
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

And? 

Sometime you sound like you are posting on this message board without having a full access to the Internet ;)

Fusari collaborated with Gaga, who traveled daily to New Jersey, helping to develop her songs and compose new material.[25] The producer said they began dating in May 2006, and claimed to have been the first person to call her "Lady Gaga", which was derived from Queen's song "Radio Ga Ga

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Sometime you sound like you are posting on this message board without having a full access to the Internet ;)

Fusari collaborated with Gaga, who traveled daily to New Jersey, helping to develop her songs and compose new material.[25] The producer said they began dating in May 2006, and claimed to have been the first person to call her "Lady Gaga", which was derived from Queen's song "Radio Ga Ga

oh nice piece of gossip! :lol:

52 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I mean 500 is obvs locked for BR, but how are people seeing 600? Are there any more markets left to open?

I'm thinking 35 more in Domestic, but another 80+ overseas? 

It still has Italy and South Africa left to open, and with the crazy holds its having overseas $600M is basically locked. I'd go as far as to bet it'll also pass $650M. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TomeRide said:

It still has Italy and South Africa left to open, and with the crazy holds its having overseas $600M is basically locked. I'd go as far as to bet it'll also pass $650M. 

I hope it does. we need more successes that aren't the usual suspects (SH, action, sci fi) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

I really don't understand why Bohemian Rhapsody's success is considered anything of a slight against A Star Is Born - a movie that is going to have made x10 its budget when all is said and done.

The two are barely comparable (original drama featuring original songs v semi-fictionalised biopic that essentially is a stream of music videos of pre-existing massively popular songs), and regardless it's like trying to claim that Avatar outgrossed Jurassic World, ergo the latter is a failure.

Agreed for all except that ASIB is not an original drama.  It's been re-made and riffed on - very successfully - multiple times.

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Agreed for all except that ASIB is not an original drama.  It's been re-made and riffed on - very successfully - multiple times.

I know the second film with Garland was a commercial failure (didn't even match it's budget) and the Streisand film was a critical turd, but don't know much about the first. Is this the first iteration where the stars aligned both critically and commercially? 

2 minutes ago, harry713 said:

I know the second film with Garland was a commercial failure (didn't even match it's budget) and the Streisand film was a critical turd, but don't know much about the first. Is this the first iteration where the stars aligned both critically and commercially? 

The 1937 Wellman/Fredric March/Janet Gaynor was financially successful, nominated for 7 Oscars and won Best Screenplay

The 1954 Cukor, Garland/Mason film wasn't a financial failure.  It was expensive at $5m to make but reportedly did $6.1m in domestic rentals (money officially back to the studio) and was one of the top films of 1954

The Streisand/Kristofferson of decidedly lesser quality but more meh reviews than turd reviews

Then there are movies like The Artist which swipe the concept en large

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The 1937 Wellman/Fredric March/Janet Gaynor was financially successful, nominated for 7 Oscars and won Best Screenplay

The 1954 Cukor, Garland/Mason film wasn't a financial failure.  It was expensive at $5m to make but reportedly did $6.1m in domestic rentals (money officially back to the studio) and was one of the top films of 1954

The Streisand/Kristofferson of decidedly lesser quality but more meh reviews than turd reviews

Then there are movies like The Artist which swipe the concept en large

The Streisand version might have had meh reviews but that made a ton of money - adjusts to $343,286,400 & the soundtrack album sold millions.

• Like 3