AndyLL

***SPOILERS***SPOILERS*** Aquaman Spoilers ***SPOILERS***SPOILERS***

5 hours ago, Rocinante said:

You are overthinking it. Overthinking about any SH movie at all will make your head explode

And you are devaluing storytelling and film, itself, if we devalue critiquing these kinds of films just because of the genre they belong to. 

A film is a film is a film.  Superhero movies get no excuses for "comic book storytelling."  They don't get discount thinking from me.  They should work and communicate a story as clearly as any other film. 

• Like 1

On 12/21/2018 at 3:25 PM, Rocinante said:

They have royal blood so they can breathe above water

Yeah but we're shown during a flashback and exposition that Atlantis was once a land city full of humans breathing air then got flooded and sunk so mutation appeared through generations to be able to breath underwater. But being of royal blood means retaining those human characteristics combined with fish-like biology compared to those that became more biologically related to underwater animals like those other tribes. So being of royal blood means that you directly descend from the once human Atlantis rulers on the ground. The whole conflict of Aquaman is that the protagonist is a half-breed (half-atlantean breathing oxygen underwater/half-air breathing human). But if being of royal blood means that you directly descend from the human king of Atlantis, Atlan, who seemingly was an air breathing human and they heritated that ability, doesn't that make them mixed breed generations removed, does it?

I find that funny that Aquaman is given shit in the movie for being "half-human" when the distinction to belong to Atlantean's royal blood is to have direct genetic ascendance with their ancestor Atlan...a human king that led Atlantis to sink underwater.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dashrendar44 said:

Yeah but we're shown during a flashback and exposition that Atlantis was once a land city full of humans breathing air then got flooded and sunk so mutation appeared through generations to be able to breath underwater. But being of royal blood means retaining those human characterics combined with fish-like biology compared to those that became more biologically related to underwater animals like those other tribes. So being of royal blood means that you directly descend from the once human Atlantis rulers on the ground. The whole conflict of Aquaman is that the protagonist is a half-breed (half-atlantean breathing oxygen underwater/half-air breathing human). But if being of royal blood means that you directly descend from the human king of Atlantis, Atlan, who seemingly was an air breathing human and they heritated that ability, doesn't that make them mixed breed generations removed, does it?

I find that funny that Aquaman is given shit in the movie for being "half-human" when the distinction to belong to Atlantean's royal blood is to have direct genetic ascendance with their ancestor Atlan...a human king that led Atlantis to sink underwater.

Atlanna and her sons are not Atlan's direct descendants though. The comics had Atlanna's ancestor (Atlan's brother Orin) kill him and his family to seize the throne. The movie gives off the impression that Atlan abdicated the throne (without an heir?). 

The royals from the other kingdoms like Mera aren't supposed to be related to Atlan at all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Atlanna and her sons are not Atlan's direct descendants though. The comics had Atlanna's ancestor (Atlan's brother Orin) kill him and his family to seize the throne. The movie gives off the impression that Atlan abdicated the throne (without an heir?). 

The royals from the other kingdoms like Mera aren't supposed to be related to Atlan at all.

i mean the movie already 2 1/2 hours,with full background/history etc. it could be 4 hours and it's boring also freezing....

2 hours ago, dashrendar44 said:

Just like racism and facism in real life. Nazis forgot Christianity spread from Judaism (and Jesus was Jew) and pretty much everyone who hates black people for being black forgets that everyone's ancestors were black.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My biggest fear for the sequel is that Manta is gonna kill Tom and/or Atlana. It makes sense for him to take revenge on Arthur's parent(s) if he can't get Arthur himself. I love Tom and Atlana and I loved Manta Sr who had great interplay with Manta Jr "my son, you must live to kill this son of a bitch!" :lol::bravo:

also, if something happened to Atlana, that would naturally bring Orm into the story since he was clearly left for more movies just like manta (who has connection to both). I'm super hyped for the sequel but also scared for characters. 

Edited by Valonqar

8 hours ago, Macleod said:

And you are devaluing storytelling and film, itself, if we devalue critiquing these kinds of films just because of the genre they belong to. 

A film is a film is a film.  Superhero movies get no excuses for "comic book storytelling."  They don't get discount thinking from me.  They should work and communicate a story as clearly as any other film. 

There is thinking critically and there is overthinking to the point of nitpicking. There are definitely some plot holes in the movie but overall, the story is fairy simple and coherent enough to work. 

Just being curios but do you often ask the same kind of questions about marvel movies?

Edited by Rocinante

9 minutes ago, Rocinante said:

There is thinking critically and there is overthinking to the point of nitpicking. There are definitely some plot holes in the movie but overall, the story is fairy simple and coherent enough to work. 

Just being curios but do you often ask the same kind of questions about marvel movies?

Plenty.  I'm a big critic of Homecoming, for instance.  (Even though that's driven somewhat by Sony.)

Papering over the ludicrousness of moments with humor can help a lot.  Marvel execs seem to get that...Warner Bros. execs, still not so sure.  They haven't yet found a clear tone to establish with their DC stuff...because it's an entirely different creative/producing relationship, first of all...

Edited by Macleod

• Community Manager

So in Justice League, Aquaman meets with Mera underwater to discuss the box Steppenwolf is looking for. Only it's one of those bubble areas where they talk without being underwater.

In Aquaman the first scene with Mera, she's like "you beat Steppenwolf" establishing this movie takes place after Aquaman. 

Later Aquaman asks Mera "what's your name?" WHAT THE!? He ALREADY knows her. He's known her since Justice League! How does he not know her name!?

Then inside the ship in Atlantis she explains the idea of there being a pocket underwater. But....he should already know this from his meeting with her in Justice League.

Anyways lol at the movie like an hour in being like "by the way let's go to a flashback that explains Aquaman learning about his powers." Also lol at Aquaman always being able to breathe underwater BUT never trying to speak underwater until he's with his mentor guy. 

Oh man, was the political thing about the war and whose king of Atlantis very boring and dull. Then there's the even more dull story of the black guy from the submarine who has a vendetta against Aquaman. Most of the costumes looked fake and not cool. The hairstyles of Atlantis needed more variety.  Predictable plot points. WAY overused convos which get interrupted by a surprise explosion.  I thought the third act would deliver with a huge awesome battle but it lasted too short.

If Shazaam! doesn't work for me, I think I'll just skip the rest of the DCEU. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Later Aquaman asks Mera "what's your name?" WHAT THE!? He ALREADY knows her. He's known her since Justice League! How does he not know her name!?

He never says her name aloud and took her as some sea thot. I saw the conversation in the same vein like Arthur talks to an initially unfamiliar Bruce Wayne in Iceland or like how he talked to the biker gang dudes.

45 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Then inside the ship in Atlantis she explains the idea of there being a pocket underwater. But....he should already know this from his meeting with her in Justice League.

Royal high blood thing isnt even talked about in JL which was the point of that exposition in Aquaman

47 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Talk about beating a dead horse :kitschjob:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

So in Justice League, Aquaman meets with Mera underwater to discuss the box Steppenwolf is looking for. Only it's one of those bubble areas where they talk without being underwater.

In Aquaman the first scene with Mera, she's like "you beat Steppenwolf" establishing this movie takes place after Aquaman. 

Anyways lol at the movie like an hour in being like "by the way let's go to a flashback that explains Aquaman learning about his powers." Also lol at Aquaman always being able to breathe underwater BUT never trying to speak underwater until he's with his mentor guy. 

Oh man, was the political thing about the war and whose king of Atlantis very boring and dull. Then there's the even more dull story of the black guy from the submarine who has a vendetta against Aquaman. Most of the costumes looked fake and not cool. The hairstyles of Atlantis needed more variety.  Predictable plot points. WAY overused convos which get interrupted by a surprise explosion.  I thought the third act would deliver with a huge awesome battle but it lasted too short.

In that scene she never gave him her name I believe.  

On 12/20/2018 at 10:02 PM, Macleod said:

Yeah but there's no explanation about how these two dudes met up in the first place...just like so many other unanswered questions in the movie.

I guess at least we know the man-bun originated in Atlantis, though..  😐

Possible meeting of joining the two kingdoms, but he needed to persuade the other leader to join the war against the surface dwellers.  The submarine attack which by COINCIDENCE attacked them which led to the other leader to join Ocean Master against the surface.

14 hours ago, Valonqar said:

My biggest fear for the sequel is that Manta is gonna kill Tom and/or Atlana. It makes sense for him to take revenge on Arthur's parent(s) if he can't get Arthur himself. I love Tom and Atlana and I loved Manta Sr who had great interplay with Manta Jr "my son, you must live to kill this son of a bitch!" :lol::bravo:

also, if something happened to Atlana, that would naturally bring Orm into the story since he was clearly left for more movies just like manta (who has connection to both). I'm super hyped for the sequel but also scared for characters. 

He might just kill both. At the end of the film it is implied they'll stay together in the lighthouse. But your theory might be correct. Black Manta is going to need some serious man power if he's going to take on Aquaman and Ocean Master.

1 minute ago, Heat Vision said:

He might just kill both. At the end of the film it is implied they'll stay together in the lighthouse. But your theory might be correct. Black Manta is going to need some serious man power if he's going to take on Aquaman and Ocean Master.

since Aquaman follows the same beats as Thor, I expect same beats as Thor 2 which is where mother dies and sons unite to take down the common enemy. or so it seems. so my theory is that Manta kills Atlana (and Tom), Arthur enlists Orm's help or Orm breaks free in response to his mother's death, but also tries to seize the throne at some point. 

and yes, manta will need serious man power.