sfran43

Weekend Thread: Thursday Previews - Spider-Verse $3.5M | Mortal Engines $675K

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Grinch is winning domestic and overseas though.

The Grinch isn't likely to go much over $200 million OS by the end of its run. Ralph 2 looks like it will finish with over $300 million OS (still many major markets left to open yet), which would allow it to beat Grinch WW. 

7 hours ago, Dingdong said:

The Favourite has lower PTA than The Theory of Everything at this point after a roaring start. Welp. Don’t think it can break out big enough

Theory of Everything 4th weekend was Thanksgiving.

Edited by XO21
  • Thanks 1

At 270-280 dom, Grinch's Dom theatrical revenue will be 150-155. Should cover it's prod budget and big chunk of marketing. Then entire OS to consider (which is not China heavy) and then all of non-theatrical revenue to follow.

13 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

That director's movies are very off-putting. I wouldn't be surprised if The Favourite just completely collapsed after going into wide release.

Yeah, it going from potential Oscar-darling to dropping off the face of the Earth was unusually abrupt. The WoM I've heard is almost Mother!-grade "WTF?!?!" which is *really* not what I was expecting.

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

it's Kiwi patriotic duty to support PJ movies isn't it?

Generally speaking, I'd agree, but Mortal Engines is not the hill to die on.

I went into it both wanting to like it and with low expectations, and still ended up disappointed. Visuals and world-building are really good, but the characters and plot are just dire.

12 minutes ago, Wrath said:

Generally speaking, I'd agree, but Mortal Engines is not the hill to die on.

I went into it both wanting to like it and with low expectations, and still ended up disappointed. Visuals and world-building are really good, but the characters and plot are just dire.

exactly what previews promised. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

exactly what previews promised. 

They did indeed. For me, the characters and dialogue were even worse than expected and I wasn't expecting much.

Good life rule is that expectations can never be low enough.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Bohemian Rhapsody 's run is a joy to follow.

it seems the movie is having an insane carreer in South Korea.

Wonder if another musician's biopic will ever reach those heights again. 

But Queen s music suits cinema so well and Freddie s style of singing is so epic.

Talk about timeless music.

And don't forget crazy run of BP in Japan.

SK and Japan like music film, just look at Frozen!

18 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Bohemian Rhapsody 's run is a joy to follow.

it seems the movie is having an insane carreer in South Korea.

Wonder if another musician's biopic will ever reach those heights again. 

But Queen s music suits cinema so well and Freddie s style of singing is so epic.

Talk about timeless music.

I assume a proper Michael Jackson biopic could do it.

15 years ago today, the final chapter of the trilogy opened - The Return of the King. Massive $124.1M launch over 5 days heading to $377M domestic & $1.12B worldwide. It was only the 2nd film in history to break $1B after Titanic. 11 Oscars followed.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I assume a proper Michael Jackson biopic could do it.

They'd never get a Michael Jackson biopic off the ground, there's too many things in his life that his estate and the Jackson family would rather not be said. 

• Like 2

Nach Tschechien, Kroatien und den Niederlanden ist nun auch in der Schweiz BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY der erfolgreichste Film des Jahres:

means:

After Czech Republic, Croatia, and the Netherlands Bohamian Rhapsody now is also in he Swiss the most successful movie of the year