That One Girl

Dec 21-23 Weekend Thread | Sat#'s (Asgard pg 60) - Aqua 21.8, MPR 8.8, BB 7.2, SMSV 6.9, Mule 3.8 | Discuss Pitbull's musical work here

6 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Lmao at Poppins (a movie no one cares about) and bumblebee (a prequel to a dying franchise) being competition. Of course DC was going to come out on top. 

Im just repeating what others around the internet were claiming. I tried to tell them, but it all fell on deaf ears (or blind eyes since its the internet. Now I'm pulling for that billion! Lets go DC!!

16 minutes ago, El Gato said:

Always underestimating DC huh!? Reminds me of last year when Wonder Woman was supposed to get crushed by The Mummy, Transformers, Cars 3...etc, yet the reverse happened! Now Aquaman is crushing the competition when for months the narrative was that it was going to get crushed by both Poppins and Bumblebee, heck some even threw in Spiderverse as a threat. Now it's looking like those 3 films 3 day weekends combined won't even add up to Aquaman's OW. 

Never underestimate DC! Well except when Snyder is directing, then it's ok, because that guy just doesn't get DC characters.

@Napoleon

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kitik said:

Did a bunch of posts get deleted from this thread? Because I see the usual DC posters are in full defense mode against the Aquaman attackers, but I'm not seeing any Aquaman attackers. What am I missing?

No kidding, huh?

• Like 1

I got tired of this forum and the constant fights and abandoned it many months ago but I seem to remember tons of people swearing left and right about how and why Marry poppins was going to be the big hit of Christmas. Anyway aquaman was fantastic, by faaaaaar the best DCCU film, and I am rooting for it to do amazingly well.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

Regarding Aquaman - Still a great opening. As one or two others pointed out, more than what you would have expected 6 months ago, though perhaps a little less than what was hoped for 6 days ago, after those huge China numbers. Locked in to be the big Christmas winner. Can't believe anyone would think it's not a lock to beat Venom domestic. Was that a strawman argument, or did someone really say that?

Regarding Bumblebee possibly beating Mary Poppins to second place, some of you may missing the forest for the trees there. This is much more a case of Poppins losing rather than Bee winning. Bee is going to make exactly what was predicted, it's certainly not overperforming.

Regarding Mary Poppins legs - yeah, they could still show up, but at this point it would take a miracle for this movie not to go down as a failure. That said, the Saturday before Christmas is WAY TOO EARLY to judge any movie's legs this season. Aquaman could still finish over 350, and there's a slight chance it'll finish under 250. Way too early to make any final judgements.

Regarding comparing Aquaman to Ant-Man and Venom - I'm not sure those are the best comparisons. Aquaman is much more of a big-budget CGI epic compared to those two. A better non-sequel superhero movie would seem to be GOTG. A similar big budget CGI grand epic. Both likely to have nice legs too, GOTG thanks to the lack of big releases giving it no competition post-summer, and Aquaman due to Christmas. (Seriously, after Guardians and Suicide Squad, why don't more huge movies go for that end of summer spot?)

Regarding the thoughts on release date changes for Ralph or Solo, hindsight is obviously 20/20. Disney thought they had a big hit with Mary Poppins, they thought wrong. Some minor tweaks could have made a few more bucks for Ralph and Solo, but it's unlikely that it would have made a huge difference.

Regarding Mortal Engines and Marwen - okay, maybe it's not too early to make a final judgement. Disaster confirmed.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, salvador-232 said:

I mean, the movie just isn't that good. For once I think the audience score on RT is genuine. It isn't very funny and the emotion is fairly average. More importantly, my little brother was very bored during most of it save for the Princess Part. I'm not surprised it isn't leggin that well. 

A major part of Ralph 1's appeal was nostalgia for old video games, but no one is nostalgic for the Internet.  ("How can I miss you when you won't go away?")  In fact, I'd say that most people don't even like the Internet very much, even though they use it all the time.  It's more like the feelings that commuters have toward the freeway system.

The princesses did have nostalgia in their favor, but the way that scene was done put a really creepy spin on Ralph and Vanellope's relationship.  When they said Vanellope was a princess because people thought she needed a man to rescue her, it made it sound like Ralph was her love interest.

• Disbelief 1

I enjoyed Ralph 1 (granted, large part of it was the nostalgia element but it was decently made). My issue with Ralph 2 is that all the trailers that were shown over here failed completely to show what the movie was about except internet jokes and the princesses scene. It had no hook.

• Like 1

Regarding the weekend overall, not a great start to the season. Aquaman can be called a winner, and just about every other movie can be called a loser. Too many movies, and Aquaman is the only one that I guess did a really good job of marketing itself, as it's obviously the only one that people really want to see. But barring some gorgeous legs, this is going to be a disappointing box office season.

Yeah, we're all spoiled with Star Wars and LOTR and Avatar movies over Christmas, and obviously the studios all looked at this year and saw it as their last chance for a long time to not have to compete with a Star Wars or Avatar for Christmas, so they released a ton of movies. Didn't turn out to be the big benefit many of them were hoping for, other than Aquaman.

Oh well, you win some, you lose some.

There will be happier box office weekends in the year to come.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, kitik said:

Regarding Aquaman - Still a great opening. As one or two others pointed out, more than what you would have expected 6 months ago, though perhaps a little less than what was hoped for 6 days ago, after those huge China numbers. Locked in to be the big Christmas winner. Can't believe anyone would think it's not a lock to beat Venom domestic. Was that a strawman argument, or did someone really say that?

Regarding Bumblebee possibly beating Mary Poppins to second place, some of you may missing the forest for the trees there. This is much more a case of Poppins losing rather than Bee winning. Bee is going to make exactly what was predicted, it's certainly not overperforming.

Regarding Mary Poppins legs - yeah, they could still show up, but at this point it would take a miracle for this movie not to go down as a failure. That said, the Saturday before Christmas is WAY TOO EARLY to judge any movie's legs this season. Aquaman could still finish over 350, and there's a slight chance it'll finish under 250. Way too early to make any final judgements.

No Dear, DC fans are not being defensive without provocation. As you so aptly pointed out, the opening is good. Thank you for acknowledging that. There are others who are claiming there was “underperformance”, “boring” or that the opening was “not that good”. Just a cursory look at the thread will provide evidence of that. 

And no, the Venom comparisons are not a straw man. During the week, I lurked as I always do on this site. It can be very informative while simultaneously being exasperating. During the week, some posters were saying that it was going to open at 55-60 million because it was lagging behind Venom. One poster in this thread even shared their disappointment at Aquaman’s opening number because in 2018, it failed to make the splash by far surpassing its tracking like Venom did. So if you’re trying (not saying you are) to make the argument about DC fan hysteria, there is none. The clap back is completely justified.  

Edited by Ms Lady Hawk

Great Christmas legs will happen... for Aquaman. It is a year of winner-take-all and superheroes; after opening well against heavy competition (on paper and screens), Aquaman is going for $300M+.

(this post will be edited out if today's numbers are awful)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, El Gato said:

Always underestimating DC huh!? Reminds me of last year when Wonder Woman was supposed to get crushed by The Mummy, Transformers, Cars 3...etc, yet the reverse happened! Now Aquaman is crushing the competition when for months the narrative was that it was going to get crushed by both Poppins and Bumblebee, heck some even threw in Spiderverse as a threat. Now it's looking like those 3 films 3 day weekends combined won't even add up to Aquaman's OW. 

Never underestimate DC! Well except when Snyder is directing, then it's ok, because that guy just doesn't get DC characters.

Please find me these "BUMBLEBEE will crush AQUAMAN" posts.

• Haha 1