That One Girl

Dec 21-23 Weekend Thread | Sat#'s (Asgard pg 60) - Aqua 21.8, MPR 8.8, BB 7.2, SMSV 6.9, Mule 3.8 | Discuss Pitbull's musical work here

1 minute ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

If Aquaman defies expectations and goes even higher with OW, will it be able to outopen I Am Legend & Avatar and settle for the 5th biggest December opening?

5 I Am Legend WB $77,211,321 30.1% 3,606 $21,411 $256,393,010 12/14/07
6 Avatar Fox $77,025,481 10.3% 3,452 $22,313 $749,766,139 12/18/09

Sunday should be quite strong for Aquaman, so its very much possible. It depends on the Sat hold.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Well...it may look like JL won’t have the lowest OW of all the DCEU-films anymore.

Wonder how that will mean for Shazam’s OW after Aquaman?

What the hell are you talking about? This is December, this is a whole other ballgame. Shazam will be a hit as Aquaman is. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LOLWTF said:

Lol, who releases their movies 4 days before Xmas? Going to see movie after spending all your cash buying presents at the last min? That's dumb af, lol.

Lol, what a classy first post.

Its normal for December tentpoles like Aquaman to open the weekend before Christmas. It happened with LOTR, Avatar, The Hobbit and the new SW movies. The reason is that you have a big Opening weekend (altough somewhat deflated) and then cash in on the sweet holiday legs. Its not dumb at all.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

6 minutes ago, LOLWTF said:

Lol, who releases their movies 4 days before Xmas? Going to see movie after spending all your cash buying presents at the last min? That's dumb af, lol.

Soooooo. I guess you know nothing about BO?

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, salvador-232 said:

While the guy above is being rude, as a foreigner I do find really weird that Christmas boost the BO so much. Here theathers close early on Christmas Eve and on the day itself almost no one goes.

Don't you people spend time with families or something?

It differs from country to country. Here in Germany for example, the 24th and 25th really are not moviegoing-days. Business really picks up on the 26th though. I believe in the UK its very similar. In the US though, Christmas Day is maybe the busiest moviegoing day of the year.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

I’m saying that the OW might be kinda disappointing for some who expected AQM to open a lot higher than JL.

It shouldn’t be disappointing for anyone, no one should’ve expected a $94m 3 day in December for Aquaman. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

It differs from country to country. Here in Germany for example, the 24th and 25th really are not moviegoing-days. Business really picks up on the 26th though. I believe in the UK its very similar. In the US though, Christmas Day is maybe the busiest moviegoing day of the year.

I wouldn't underestimate the 25th even in Germany, at least last year it was a good day for TLJ and the other movies. while the 24th truly is dead af.

So 32M means a 18M true friday (or 24M, which would be pretty big)

4.7M

9M

18M

20M (+11.1%)

18M (-10%)

for a 65M (70M with previews)

Unless the true friday is 24M than 80M (85M) are possible.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, LOLWTF said:

Huh, have you ever of movies called Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Titanic, Avatar, The Lord Of The Rings trilogy, The Hobbit trilogy....... recent hits like Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle, The Greatest Showman, La La Land (this one in limited, but still), Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, Sing, even Star Wars: The Last Jedi...............................

They all came out a couple of days before Christmas, and they all had far better legs than they would've in any other part of the year :rofl:  Clearly you don't understand much about box office.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1