Eric Prime

WrathofHan and CoolEric's Controversial* Predictions of 2019 (*Controversial results may vary)

42 minutes ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

You want a real controversial take?

Pika over Avengers and Lion King

Unfair. Avengers and Lion King have no chance since both will struggle to make more than a 270M OW, while that number will be roughly the Opening Day of Pika-Pika.

• Haha 2

October 4

Gemini Man: I imagine this moves to a new date because Joker is going to be gigantic, so this prediction is assuming a release date change. Ang Lee always puts out interesting movies and has released some big adult hits including Life of Pi, Brokeback Mountain, and Sense and Sensibility. Gemini Man is a new step for Lee into the sci-fi genre, and Will Smith is headlining this. That combo alone sounds pretty dynamite, and the plot has a lot of potential. If this is up there with Lee’s more acclaimed films, I have no doubt this will be a massive hit. 40/160 (4x)

Joker: From the moment Joaquin’s first photo dropped, I knew this would break out big time. This movie seemed like a (wait for it) joke when it was first announced. “A movie unrelated to the DCEU? What the hell is WB doing?” we all thought. Oh how little we knew. Even if this is heavily inspired by The King of Comedy, it is a gigantic new direction for the comic book movie genre. This movie would have to suck hard to miss 200M, and if this is something special, it could be MASSIVE. Let’s assume it is something special. 130/360 (3x)

The Woman in the Window: YES, I CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS REAR WINDOW REMAKE WITH AMY ADAMS IN THE GRACE KELLY ROLE AND JAMES STEWART ROLE!!!!!11!!!!!!111!1!!! Ahem. Sorry. I let my inner dudalb out. Anyways, The Woman in the Window has a cast headlined by Amy Adams with Gary Oldman, Julianne Moore, Brian Tyree Henry, Wyatt Russell, and Anthony Mackie. Joe Wright and Tracy Letts behind the scenes sound like a pretty killer combo too. If this has Oscar buzz, I can see it getting close to the mid-100s if everything goes right. However, competition this month is pretty big, and I think all the adult dramas will limit each other’s potential. 25/100 (4x)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1

October 10

The Addams Family: I question how much appeal The Addams Family still has in 2019, but a gothic family movie right before Halloween is sure to bring in some cash. This and Are You Afraid of the Dark? will limit each other’s potential, and it would be wise for one to move into September. 14/42 (3x)

Are You Afraid of the Dark?: Hmmm. DJ Caruso generally isn’t an indicator of a quality film, so we’ll see how this turns out. Nostalgia could be a driving factor in getting this over The Addams Family should both remain on the same date, but that won’t give it a big edge. 15/45 (3x)

The Goldfinch: Warner Bros seems to be priming this as their fall awards contender. John Crowley is a strong director, and the cast is pretty solid (even Ansolo). Plus, Roger Deakins is always a good sign. This doesn’t immediately scream a hit like Woman in the Window or A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, but it will definitely put up a good total if the quality is there. 15/75 (5x)

Zombieland 2: TIME TO NUT UP OR SHUT UP! This is one of my most anticipated movies of the year. The first film is one of my favorite comedies, and even if the sequel sucks, I want to see how it turns out. The first film adjusts to nearly 100M, and I am using that as my primary guide for this prediction. The movie is still remembered by many, and three of the main stars have all gotten much bigger careers since the film. Stone and Harrelson in particular have a lot of demand these days. It also helps that this is the only horror movie of the month that isn’t an untitled placeholder. Fingers crossed this is good. 40/105 (2.63x)

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

October 17

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood:Friendly reminder that Can You Ever Forgive Me? is a beautiful movie that everyone needs to see. Marielle Heller’s film is the number one reason I am excited for this film. The great, underrated Matthew Rhys plays a jaded journalist who becomes enamored by Mr. Rogers, played by none other than Tom Hanks. As we saw with Won’t You Be My Neighbor?, Mr. Rogers still resonates with many today, and having a Hollywood legend portray him is sure to get audiences excited. Heller is a consistent director, and I am expecting a great hit here. 30/150 (5x)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

People are excited about ZOMBIELAND 2? Huh.

...wait, they’re making another ADDAMS FAMILY?

I’d love if GEMINI MAN was good, though. 

This time it's animated, with an art style similar to the original comic strips. I'm actually kind of interested in it judging by the promo art.

1528398274_youloveit_com_the_addams_fami

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

Just now, Telemachos said:

People are excited about ZOMBIELAND 2? Huh.

Yes. I am extra excited because I get to see a movie where the main character has the same name as the city I live in :Venom: (or should I say :Carnage: get on that emoji mods)

• Disbelief 1

idk, a lot of people in my high school liked Zombieland, so I think some of you guys are under-estimating its appeal [i haven't met anyone in college who talked about it tho, so maybe i'm over-estimating it]

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TMP said:

idk, a lot of people in my high school liked Zombieland, so I think some of you guys are under-estimating its appeal [i haven't met anyone in college who talked about it tho, so maybe i'm over-estimating it]

Same here but I feel that the sequel should’ve come out 5-7 years ago when the film was more “fresh” in people’s minds. They could risk having another Zoolander 2 situation.

• Like 1