AniNate

The Good Dinosaur | Peter Sohn | BR/DVD release 2-23-2016 | Pixar's first BO flop

On January 24, 2016 at 3:43 AM, TalismanRing said:

I have a very difficult time believing that Spot alone would put a dent in the food supply for 5 enormous dinosaurs.  He could eat his weight in food every day and it wouldn't make a difference.  It would be like us complaining about a single mouse.   Finding a new family for Spot doesn't do anything to get rid of any other critters.   The amount of food Arlo should have helped reap should have been far more than he should also have eaten during the period and in still doesn't compensate for the loss of their biggest and strongest family member.

rlo blowing on Spot to revive him was a beautiful moment.

If you stop to think about the Good Dinosaur it just gets worse and worse.

How utterly sad.

• Like 1

On January 23, 2016 at 10:55 PM, goldenstate5 said:

If you watch the BTS featurettes for Inside Out it was ~this~ close to getting the same treatment as TGD in the development process. It took a miracle, that of Pete Docter coming up with the message of the current existing movie right before the critical screening. Much of that version prior, in which Fear and Bing Bong are revealed to be antagonists and try to destroy Joy (yes... it's that bad) is on the Blu-Ray.

The Good Dinosaur just never had that miracle happen. It's a hot mess and audiences rejected it. Pixar protects their people... while Sohn will likely never direct a feature again, they'll remain employed. Honestly this film most likely spells the death forever for animated talking dinosaur movies, that's what will really suffer.

I can live with that.

Son did very well with Partly Cloudy, I think it would be unfair to lay this mess solely at his doorstep.

I think that Pixar should have gone bold, as they used to do, and experimented with a edgier PG-13 movie about finding oneself in the vein of movies like Wild, Into the Wild and Tracks. This was just safe and pretty pathetic considering not much is learnt, convenience, inanity and all kinds of other problems. 

Of all the Pixar films in the pipeline, this is the one that I would never have foreseen as their first true flop, especially after Jurassic World made dinosaurs popular again.

I just saw the film and it's ok. Nothing awful but nothing spectacular. Kinda like Brave. and yet that was a hit.

What happened here?

10 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

So Pixar's #1 HV streak is still alive (Can't verify that, but I'm assuming they've all been #1 at some point)

Probably would need to at least double Inside Out's sales for it to mean anything, though

All Pixar movies since Cars have been #1 on their first week of HV sales.  Before that, charts are not available.  We can pretty much assume that Incredibles, Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc. and Toy Story 2 were also #1.  That leaves  A Bug's Life and Toy Story in doubt.  Pretty good track record if you ask me. 

In conclusion, is there any silver lining for this films performance for BO history?

INSIDE OUT

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $356,461,711    41.6%
Foreign:  $501,149,463    58.4%

Worldwide:  $857,611,174  

THE GOOD DINOSAUR

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $123,087,120    37.1%
Foreign:  $209,120,551    62.9%

Worldwide:  $332,207,671  

FINDING DORY

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $486,295,561    47.3%
Foreign:  $542,093,766    52.7%

Worldwide:  $1,028,389,327  

Edited by Matrix4You

3 hours ago, Matrix4You said:

In conclusion, is there any silver lining for this films performance for BO history?

INSIDE OUT

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $356,461,711    41.6%
Foreign:  $501,149,463    58.4%

Worldwide:  $857,611,174  

THE GOOD DINOSAUR

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $123,087,120    37.1%
Foreign:  $209,120,551    62.9%

Worldwide:  $332,207,671  

FINDING DORY

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $486,295,561    47.3%
Foreign:  $542,093,766    52.7%

Worldwide:  $1,028,389,327  

No, sadly.

I know a lot of Pixar loonies (one of them even likes Cars 2!) and none of them went to see this. The main reason was the difference in animation of the nature and landscapes (which were amazing) and the dinosaurs. They looked incredibly fake in a weird way. I think that turned some people off and the fact, that nothing about the story was in any way interesting or fresh, judging by the trailers. It was the first time that Pixars Marketing team failed big time. 

I saw the movie a few months ago and it was solid. It just pales in comparison with other Pixar masterpieces. Unlike them, this film will be forgotten.