Seto Kaiba

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1 | July 12 2023 | 99% on Rotten Tomatoes! | 290M budget so far, Cruise holding Paramount hostage for more money

I generally enjoy Rogue Nation, but have it below Ghost Protocol (the best total package in terms of writing/directing) and Fallout (series best cinematography and action)

Also, I think Sean Harris’s performance as Solomon Lane is substantially more engaging in Fallout. I never quite enjoyed is quiet calculating nature in RN, but the unhinged, raw Lane in Fallout was a real treat. I do hope we get to see more of him before this series is finished.

17 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Agreed. Man oh man was Rebecca Ferguson killer in that movie. Like an old school Lauren Bacall type. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I was hooked as soon as the trailer had her scene where she placed her foot up for the sniper pose.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

no, Paramount wanted to replace him with Renner , so he gave 200%

I’m confused when they say that GP was about replacing him with Renner. The movie ends with Hunt as the team leader and Brandt as a team member. There is no handing off of the reins and Brandt’s character did not scream “protagonist”!at this movie, either. 

Edited by Xavier

Something I noticed from Letterboxd reviews is that most of the mid-lukewarm ratings have come from either MI 5/6 or JW4 super fans or both.

Maybe they were disappointed because they were expecting breakneck action from the start but turns out it’s much more plot and exposition heavy

One of the most exciting sequences in this has no stuntwork, no expensive over the top spectacle, no chases, no explosions - just top of the line spycraft with a perfect understanding of dramatic storytelling fundamentals. The biggest confidence boost I've ever had about the Cruise/McQuarrie reign - they don't even need their spectacular stunts to be the best at this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1