Seto Kaiba

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1 | July 12 2023 | 99% on Rotten Tomatoes! | 290M budget so far, Cruise holding Paramount hostage for more money

6 hours ago, Deep Wang said:

I'm an old, but it's still hard for me to focus when I'm at home watching things.  That's one thing I've come to love about going to the movies is that it forces me to put the phone away for a couple of hours. 

This! I dislike watching films at home as there are too many distractions, it's too easy for me to just look at my phone, then pause the movie, and two hours later I forgot I even started to watch the film.

Best thing about the cinema is having no outside distractions, phone being turned off etc.

• Like 2

Caught this again with another set of people.

Man the runtime of this film just flies by even on a second watch. 

There's such an honesty to Haley's performance, so many little tics and idiosyncrasies that just make her feel so alive. Balfe gives her a really beautiful musical cue as well.

The one thing I felt it was missing action-wise was a really good hand-to-hand fight scene. It's a bit lacklustre in that area. 

• Like 3

On 7/13/2023 at 10:15 AM, ChipDerby said:

Watched #2 last night, updating the list!!

1. Mission: Impossible 2

2. Mission: Impossible

The 2nd one is so much fun and whips so much ass. Tom was never cooler than this film. A bit too much slow motion and probably a bit too long.

Update:

1. Mission: Impossible 2

2. Mission: Impossible 3

3. Mission: Impossible

MI2 was a super hyped event that would have challenged, if not outright broken, the opening weekend record in 2000. It opened on a Wednesday before Memorial Day and still managed $57m opening weekend. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

In terms of admissions Mission peaked with MI 2. The one everybody has at the top of their rankings. 

Speaking of MI:2, I'm shocked that John Woo hasn't done a Fast n Furious movie yet. Seems like a perfect match.

8 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

Speaking of MI:2, I'm shocked that John Woo hasn't done a Fast n Furious movie yet. Seems like a perfect match.

I think Woo is not comfortable with making a movie in a franchsie where everything is already so established. Not much room for his creativty.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

I can't speak on the accuracy cause it's all heresay and "he said, she said" but there is a reason why he hasn't really done a franchise project since MI2. The version of MI2 we got in theaters was very likely not Woo's intended version, and it was reportedly cut down and fucked with in post-production by the studio for whatever reason. Woo would be a great fit for Fast & Furious but I feel like he wouldn't want to do it just cause bad experiences.

1 minute ago, LegionWrex said:

I can't speak on the accuracy cause it's all heresay and "he said, she said" but there is a reason why he hasn't really done a franchise project since MI2. The version of MI2 we got in theaters was very likely not Woo's intended version, and it was reportedly cut down and fucked with in post-production by the studio for whatever reason. Woo would be a great fit for Fast & Furious but I feel like he wouldn't want to do it just cause bad experiences.

#ReleaseTheWooCut

• Haha 1

An aspect that will be underrated in this one but also has been very much in play in the MI films since Ghost Protocol (thank you Brad Bird) is the physical comedy in the actions scenes. The Rome sequence has some great laughs and even the stuff at the end with the train and motorbike has some great gags. It's something John Wick does really well too and it's what helps make these series stick out compared to the rest. 

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr
  • Like 1

Upon second viewing, my opinion of the film has lowered.

The numerous exposition-heavy scenes throughout this film are far less engaging once you know the film's plot after the first watch. Too many scenes in this movie of 4+ characters exchanging information, one line of dialogue at a time, as if they rehearsed their explanations. Too many questions being asked by POV characters as a way of getting information to the audience. These scenes have been in other MI films, but this film basically has an extra 45-minutes of them. It's grating. Very very grating.

That's what I suspect reviewers and commenters are saying when talking about the complex plot. It's not that the plot is particularly complex, it's that there's so so so much "tell" rather than "show", and with a 2:45 runtime it's too much, at least upon rewatch.

Fallout --> Ghost Protocol --> Rogue Nation --> DR1 --> MI1 --> MI3 --> MI2

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Upon second viewing, my opinion of the film has lowered.

The numerous exposition-heavy scenes throughout this film are far less engaging once you know the film's plot after the first watch. Too many scenes in this movie of 4+ characters exchanging information, one line of dialogue at a time, as if they rehearsed their explanations. Too many questions being asked by POV characters as a way of getting information to the audience. These scenes have been in other MI films, but this film basically has an extra 45-minutes of them. It's grating. Very very grating.

That's what I suspect reviewers and commenters are saying when talking about the complex plot. It's not that the plot is particularly complex, it's that there's so so so much "tell" rather than "show", and with a 2:45 runtime it's too much, at least upon rewatch.

Fallout --> Ghost Protocol --> Rogue Nation --> DR1 --> MI1 --> MI3 --> MI2

On my second viewing, I would agree, but I didn't have an issue with that on my first viewing, so I'm not holding that against it too much. The one thing that left a distaste in my mouth the first viewing I knew was happening so I could enjoy the rest of the movie more. It stays the same rating for me at 9/10 but yeah, they could have shaved at least 15 minutes from exposition dumping. I think the word key was said 500 times or more, it was insane.

as I said all along the youth factor definitely played a difference 

regarding the quality of the film it is subject to not being subject to anything in particular since there are endless looming variables all along 

but most importantly youth factor DID come into play god almighty 

28 minutes ago, handofjustice said:

as I said all along the youth factor definitely played a difference 

regarding the quality of the film it is subject to not being subject to anything in particular since there are endless looming variables all along 

but most importantly youth factor DID come into play god almighty 

Alex Honnold Reaction GIF by Outside TV

Hello, I'm a lurker on this forum because im into box office and I'm interested in the box office of MI lol.

But I felt compelled to chime in here about what some people were saying about Gen Z and younger audiences seemingly not being into this.

As someone right in that demo, I can say safely Barbenheimer is doing some damage. In a post-Covid moviegoing world, people are more selective than ever, and I think Barbie is the biggest film in the Gen Z zeitgeist in a while. Oppenheimer has also swept up some Gen Z given its polar opposite tone and the fact that Nolan does have his fans from this gen given The Dark Knight and all.

So I think thats a big factor. But I remember a very similar question I pondered when No Time to Die came out; why aren't young people seeing this? These movies have cooler action and stunts than anything else in Hollywood

I think the answer is that these franchises are kinda geriatric to Gen Z honestly. For me, I like spy action flicks because of my brother showing them to me as a kid. But when I posted about seeing No Time to Die on Insta, only like one friend I have who is a Bond fan swiped up to reply. But when Scream 6 came out, I can't tell you how many of my gays and girls and couples of friends were posting about it with their tickets in hand.

It has a bit to do with how pop culture and trend obsessed Gen Z is. Minions blew up because of tiktok and nostalgia. Oppenheimer and Barbie are blowing up because of memetic qualities (Ryan Gosling, bomb memes) and the boy/girl parallel which is perfect for couples to go watch. 

It sounds so tacky and cringy, but this is all to say that if they wanted to get the younger audiences into theaters to watch Dead Reckoning, casting a Jenna Ortega or getting Bad Bunny to do a tie-in song or doing some bike jumping meme on TikTok would have honest to god driven numbers up a few percent points. If Gen Z can't relate their entertainment to what's hot on their phones, they don't really care.

I'm very glad Cruise has stuck to his guns and doesn't pander by delivering (what I've heard is) a good time of an action blockbuster. But I also think this demonstrates one of the biggest problems modern movies have. It's not so much the change in older viewers' staying at home. The younger audiences are the ones who are way more picky imo, especially cuz most of us are broke too. That's why only one or two movies tend to break out every now and then, and it's usually ones that are relatable and trendy (Scream 6 because teens love horror and camp, Spider-Verse with the whole canon event memes, John Wick because Keanu is reddit gold)

Anyway, hoping to catch Dead Reckoning tomorrow or Sunday.

• Like 1