grim22

Ghostbusters: Afterlife | November 19 2021 | Sony | Delayed again

2 hours ago, Last Man Standing said:

Yeah this is the fault of studios, why aren't they making more original films the audiences can't get enough of, like The Last Duel, Spencer, Last Night in Soho, King Richard, etc.?

The Last Duel and Soho, yes.   I think Duel especially is gonna do very well and catch on over the coming months and years on streaming/VOD, its that type of movie.

Spencer looks tailor made for 15 minutes of awards buzz only for everyone to forget it exists 6 months after March(which will happen) and I really don't like those types of films either.  I find them equally as lazy and pandering as "nostalgia bait" and most of the current crop of CBMs.

On 11/21/2021 at 12:06 PM, Ozymandias said:

The Last Duel and Soho, yes.   I think Duel especially is gonna do very well and catch on over the coming months and years on streaming/VOD, its that type of movie.

If so, it will still be a massive money loser because it was rejected by audiences at the box office. 

49 minutes ago, John Marston said:

well Reddit's opinion just did a 100% 

wut?

46 minutes ago, Eternal Legion said:

If so, it will still be a massive money loser because it was rejected by audiences at the box office. 

Of course it will, not disputing that

In the long run though, whats more important, box office or cultural relevancy and staying power?  There are plenty of box office bombs from years past that are now classics or at the very least people still like and watch, the most obvious examples being Bladerunner and The Thing.  Office Space is another.  Dredd is a recent one.  This is far more important to a film than its initial success IMO.  There's plenty of films that have made a lot of money that people don't care for or have disappeared from the cultural consciousness. If James Cameron wasn't making 15 sequels, I would've firmly put Avatar in that category already despite its months long initial zeitgeist.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Of course it will, not disputing that

In the long run though, whats more important, box office or cultural relevancy and staying power?  There are plenty of box office bombs from years past that are now classics or at the very least people still like and watch, the most obvious examples being Bladerunner and The Thing.  Office Space is another.  Dredd is a recent one.  This is far more important to a film than its initial success IMO.  There's plenty of films that have made a lot of money that people don't care for or have disappeared from the cultural consciousness. If James Cameron wasn't making 15 sequels, I would've firmly put Avatar in that category already despite its months long initial zeitgeist.

Ahh, okay, perhaps I misunderstood you. I don’t really have an opinion on what is more subjectively important. I was just saying that Last Man Standing’s point (that it’s lack of audience willingness to pay for these movies that will prevent more from being made, moreso than a top down studio decision) remains true even if it’s well regarded by audiences in 2035 or whatnot.

Saw this over Thanksgiving with the whole family. It was a lot of fun.  I think everyone from the kids to my 73 year old mom enjoyed it.  The first GB is probably not something that can ever be recaptured, but this was fun, respectful, and just all around an entertaining family movie. 

• Like 3

This was a lot of fun.. nice tie in to the originals. kids being the main theme was a nice twist and Rudd was excellent. hope they do another and sounds like they have a story idea.

why do these movies not do much over seas.. the original didnt either.. 

• Like 1

On 12/18/2021 at 7:44 PM, poweranimals said:

So I'm guessing this probably won't surpass the 2016 GB since it's about to lose the rest of its screens on Wednesday. 

And yet Sony are excluding the 2016 from a new “set” they’re doing. 

Why exclude it when more people went to see it than the recent film? To keep trolls from becoming upset and crying, I’d imagine. 

On 11/21/2021 at 12:06 PM, Ozymandias said:

Spencer looks tailor made for 15 minutes of awards buzz only for everyone to forget it exists 6 months after March(which will happen) and I really don't like those types of films either.  I find them equally as lazy and pandering as "nostalgia bait" and most of the current crop of CBMs.

Last Duel, even if it gets sort of a cult following, is still going to lose a lot of money.

Finally saw it.

For the most part the Stranger Things knock-off works well enough. I like the new family. I like that mum has a life away from the kids. I loved seeing the daughter building up her confidence. There’s just these little quibbles here and there that just downs a good time - the biggest example being the boy solely named Podcast. People that run podcasts suck as adults and they’re even worse as children. This child is a rude nuisance that is horrifyingly in the whole movie. 

I felt as if the critical blowback to all the references to the original was overblown - then the one hour mark hits, somebody says “who ya gonna call?” and shit goes to hell. The callbacks to the original work best when they’re naturally woven into the plot like the villains and the Nu-Slimer sequence. The remainder of them feel stilted, with one sequence feeling like toy commercial or something designed to go viral. 
The last sequence is exciting, it’s fun, but the film needs to throw a callback into the mix and it derails what we had going on. Our new characters all get sidelined for this fanservice nonsense. They go on to pull one CGI stunt they didn’t need to pull - and just when you start to think “maybe they find a way to put it altogether,” this movie just stops. I’ve seen nothing like it. This movie comes to a halt. It’s as if pivotal scenes were accidentally taped over by the credits of another movie. There is no ending. No wrap up. Just a jump into the credits. It is fascinating.

The shit was just odd. An odd film. High Rental.

1 hour ago, AJG said:

Finally saw it.

For the most part the Stranger Things knock-off works well enough. I like the new family. I like that mum has a life away from the kids. I loved seeing the daughter building up her confidence. There’s just these little quibbles here and there that just downs a good time - the biggest example being the boy solely named Podcast. People that run podcasts suck as adults and they’re even worse as children. This child is a rude nuisance that is horrifyingly in the whole movie. 

I felt as if the critical blowback to all the references to the original was overblown - then the one hour mark hits, somebody says “who ya gonna call?” and shit goes to hell. The callbacks to the original work best when they’re naturally woven into the plot like the villains and the Nu-Slimer sequence. The remainder of them feel stilted, with one sequence feeling like toy commercial or something designed to go viral. 
The last sequence is exciting, it’s fun, but the film needs to throw a callback into the mix and it derails what we had going on. Our new characters all get sidelined for this fanservice nonsense. They go on to pull one CGI stunt they didn’t need to pull - and just when you start to think “maybe they find a way to put it altogether,” this movie just stops. I’ve seen nothing like it. This movie comes to a halt. It’s as if pivotal scenes were accidentally taped over by the credits of another movie. There is no ending. No wrap up. Just a jump into the credits. It is fascinating.

The shit was just odd. An odd film. High Rental.

The movie feel like the director was asked to put around 2 hours, just when the excitement is about to be elevated to the next level.  

7 hours ago, Borobudur said:

The movie feel like the director was asked to put around 2 hours, just when the excitement is about to be elevated to the next level.  

I would watch a directors cut that only adds 10 minutes to the conclusion of the film. I’ve not seen a movie that left me with such a hollow feeling in ages, and a lot of of that is due to the way it ends.