filmlover

91st Academy Awards - Discussion thread - RACISM IS OVER, THANKS GREEN BOOK

19 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

But what if Glenn Close gets Gloria Swanson'd and loses to the 2020 analogue of Judy Holliday in Born Yesterday aka I dunno the lead girl in Spielberg's West Side Story?

My trashy gay ass would be gagging.  :hahaha:

Just now, titanic2187 said:

One thing about the bad of BKKK is that the police that killed a black kid got arrested so comically in the bar! 

THat police fucking killed a innocent black and sexually haraas a black girl on screen was handled lightly is a major flaw of the movie.     

He...he didn't kill anyone I don't know what movie you're mixing it up with. He sexually harassed the love interest of the MC and pulled her and the other Panthers over that's about it, unless I'm drastically misremembering the movie.

10 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Yeah and that movie made by the 'white guy' was likely one of the most impactful anti-racism movies ever made. 

My point is Green book is flawed but to suggest a good anti-racism movie can only be made by a member of an oppressed minority is just so stupid lol 

Like why are we so stupid these days lol 

no one suggested that. pretty please, with sugar on top, learn to fucking read.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

One thing about the bad of BKKK is that the police that killed a black kid got arrested so comically in the bar! 

THat police fucking killed a innocent black and sexually haraas a black girl on screen was handled lightly is a major flaw of the movie.     

I didn't understand that either. Turning his arrest in to a comedic scene was just very odd tonally. It wasn't something to laugh about. 

3 minutes ago, Mulder said:

He...he didn't kill anyone I don't know what movie you're mixing it up with. He sexually harassed the love interest of the MC and pulled her and the other Panthers over that's about it, unless I'm drastically misremembering the movie.

Yes, you misremember, please rewatch it, the police was named Landers. he killed a black, based on the testimony of the other character in the film 

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

Or at least stick to what he does best which is whining about the fucking Last Jedi or proclaiming that nobody goes to the movies anymore unless it's for spectacle blockbusters.

Just now, titanic2187 said:

Yes, you misremember, please rewatch it, the police was named Landers. he killed a black, based on the testimony of the other character in the film 

It might've been passing dialogue then but it clearly wasn't shown.

Himmmm @TheHimmmm

FACT: This A-list singer "actress" had people stunned with the massive, legendary jewels she wore to the ceremony. Truth is? According to a security boss at the event – it was a replica! She demanded the producers of movie arrange to pay to insure it for the night or else...

9:19 PM - 24 Feb 2019

• ...she would not show up. (Right, like she'd refuse a chance for attention). So they had a replica made –out of CZ glass, & paid a studio security guard to pretend he was some ninja guard for her! Rumor has it that wasn't the only faux thing about her tonight.

4 replies3 retweets18 likes

•  

Though I didn't see it (I was elsewhere during that part), they say her "chronic health struggles" required a pre-taped vocal track. Again, it's just what I'm told. Good thing she brought off her "singing performance" without any trouble (cough-cough), or Milli Vanilli moments.

4 replies2 retweets21 likes

2 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

39 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Well...yeah. Obviously people not in a certain minority group can tackle what said group deals with successfully and have done so in the past, but I feel it's more effective when a black person directs a movie about the black experience, or a gay person directs a movie about the gay experience. It's more authentic, and comes from a more personal place, and more often than not, even if the movie itself may not overall work, it's able to tackle said themes effectively.

It's the equivalent of a professional chef recommending to me a restaurant versus some average guy off the street. Considering the former has the experience and understanding of what being a chef or being in a quality restaurant is like, why wouldn't I prefer the person who lives in that certain environment or experience over an outsider?

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

"Obviously people not in a certain minority group can tackle what said group deals with successfully and have done so in the past,"

Lordmandeep confirmed to not read what he quotes.

The issue is why are you guys pretty much saying the movie is flawed as its made for and by white people? 

The movie is flawed for its choice in approaching issues not due to the colour of the skin of the people behind it. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

....A movie about racism shouldn't be made for white people.

Or maybe you guys assume is only for white people because you assume ever minority thinks the same way as you guys? 

Using you guys as a metric no black person enjoyed The Blind Side lol 

Edited by Lordmandeep
    • Thanks 1

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

Or maybe you guys assume is only for white people because you assume ever minority thinks the same way as you guys? 

You're really not even trying to make a point anymore Lordmandeep. Go back to YT

4 minutes ago, Mulder said:

You're really not even trying to make a point anymore Lordmandeep. Go back to YT

No I am showing some of your guys views on race relations do not speak for every minority person ever.

So when someone said Green Book is only made for white people, does that mean no minorities like the movie?

Do you know that? 

I ask the question simply, WHO MADE YOU the spokesperson for all nonwhite people lol. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

No I am showing some of your guys views on race relations do not speak for every minority person ever.

So when someone said Green Book is only made for white people, does that mean no minorities like the movie?

Do you know that? 

M8 no one actually thinks only white people like Green Book.