filmlover

91st Academy Awards - Discussion thread - RACISM IS OVER, THANKS GREEN BOOK

Just now, filmlover said:

They're no more political now than they've ever been but okay, whatever helps you sleep at night I guess.

Yeah I am really not sure I see it either, is it not much more the 24h cable news and now even more so Social Media constant talk about the news that changed and not how political award show became versus the pass ?

One other thing that could have changed on the subjective perception of the political level of the show is how partisan it got ?

When someone talked against the Vietnam war on the show Frank Sinatra showed to be again the move and went to read a speech that the academy was sorry about it, the show was hosted by Bob Hope a very pro military figure, the crowd was booing anyone that talked politic on the show (or plugged a friend company in the case of Christian Bale).

For someone that get easily triggered by people bringing politics on the show, if the crowd boo and agree with you on that point it is probably a much easier pill to swallow than if they cheer.

Just now, filmlover said:

They were? I'm too tired to look it up but I don't remember King or Stone ever appearing in anything together. I need sleep. lol

Oh I thought we were talking about Olivia Colman :lol:

Not a clue how I got my head there. I need to go to bed.

Glad for Bryan Singer and everyone involved in BR, they made a terrific film adored by tens of millions  of people around the world.

Movies (should) make the people come together.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Thanks 1

A weird, bizarre, ultimately more of a bummer of a night for anyone that cares about cinema moving forward instead of backward. 

First of all.  Note to ANYONE nominated for an Oscar.  PRACTICE YOUR SPEECHES.  Almost NO ONE sounded legible on stage tonight when they won, except for Regina King.  Some fumbled their way there...some didn't get there at all. 

Olivia Colman was a nice surprise (and she did great work in The Favourite), but how can Glenn Close get ignored...again?  How was it that even one of the anonymous The Hollywood Reporter's Brutally Honest Ballot voters said that "everyone I know is voting for Glenn Close."  And still...?  Bizarre.

I knew once ROMA won Foreign Film and Cinematography that the Best Pic field was wide open...it had the distinct air of "kudos, but we're not giving Netflix a Best Picture...yet."  And yet, when GDT came out to award Best Dir, I though...eh...he's surely awarding his Mexican brother, right?  And he did.  But then...Best Picture.

I have a lot to say about the final few minutes...  I should probably sleep on it, but I'm going to leave this here and see how many Likes or Hates I get by morning...

I agree with the L.A. Times on this: Green Book is a reductive movie that will ultimately tarnish the age-old Academy further when they could have forward-thought and awarded a film that the public and culture truly responded to, like Black Panther or even...sheesh...Bohemian Rhapsody.  Spike Lee had a fair reaction.  While BlackKKLansman may not have been "Best Picture" -- it is reductive for the Academy to award a film that all-but mirrors Driving Miss Daisy, exactly 30 years ago, in form and execution, made largely by a bunch of powerful, bullying white dudebro producers and writers who don't even respect (or perhaps even know) the source material and LIVES they are adapting.  How strange Spike must feel.  I get it.   Green Book is proof that Oscar campaigning still works.  They campaigned THE FUCK out of this movie.  The producers and Viggo and M.Ali were EVERYWHERE.  And it worked.  Despite all the controversy.  It worked.  It's crazy and ultimately sore for the business and art, no matter whether you liked the movie or not.  It reeks of a Weinstein-esque win.  Sure, there were some African Americans who worked on the movie...but you already DON'T see them in almost ANY of the photos circulating on Twitter and the Trade Magazines.

And Bohemian Rhapsody...the biggest winner of the night in awards numbers...and no one could even mention its own Director.  (! ! !)

I don't normally get worked up about this stuff...I lost faith in the Oscars way back in 2001 when Paltrow won over Blanchett, among other things.  But something about this whole evening rubs my rhubarb the wrong way...  How messed up is the Hollywood system?  There's still a lot of work to be done...in the world, and yes, in Hollywood.

Edited by Macleod
  • Haha 1

You know, i’m starting to sense a pattern with the ”Best Picture”-nominees over the decade or so. They’re mostly drama-films, coming of age-films or so.

And it’s usually dramas that gets the highest chances to win BP. We don’t see comedies, action-films, animated films..let alone those that are blockbusters get Best Picture-nominations so often. That’s just unfair.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

Hey guys, I just woke up. Hope I didn't miss anything important!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go drink from this enormous pitcher of fruit juice while I go check the Best Picture winner this year and/or scroll up to look at the title of this thread.

Edited by rukaio101

Why people are so shocked? Blackkklansman didn't won in most of other awards functions. Roma and Green Book were the favorites and had momentum with them.

Anyways I am overall very happy with the awards on personal level. Most of my favorites who I wanted/thought to win had won. Except may be Olivia which was surprise as didn't expected her to win.