filmlover

91st Academy Awards - Discussion thread - RACISM IS OVER, THANKS GREEN BOOK

Happy for Olivia Colman (even though I didn’t think The Favourite was good, and she was a supporting character). 

I thought Green Book was great, so I’m glad it won, although I still think it should’ve been A Star Is Born. Relieved that Shallow one (yass Gaga etc etc).

Nice for Regina and Ali, his second already. 

• Like 1

Can we talk about how flat out awkward that Best Makeup speech was? Jesus Christ, all they had to do was just have one of them read off the list of names. Academy be like "maybe we should've just let this one stay in the commercial breaks after all."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I want to say that I loved the way they showed off the Best Picture nominees before announcing who won that award. They took each film and showed one single shot from each film, shots which perhaps defined the film, at least from a glance. I thought that was really nice to see.

Edited by Slambros
  • Like 2

Things we learned:

like in case of review-bombing, smear campaign doesn't work. There are movies and people who are doomed to fail (Close, Roma in Picture, 3 Billboards in Picture, Solo at the boxoffice, TLJ legs, etc) but we don't know it and they don't know it. Lets call them Group A. And there are movies and people poised for success but they don't know it and we don't know it (Coleman in Actress, Rami in Actor, GB in Picture, CM at the boxoffice, etc). If you try to smear or review-bomb or otherwise take down group B, it won't work cause if movie/actor is loved or has big anticipation, they'll succeed cause boycott/smear does not work period. If you try to take down Group A in the same way they won't go down cause of your review-bombing/smear campaign but because they weren't liked enough to begin with. There was no smear against Close. She checked all boxes: long overdue, no scandal, makes obligatory female empowerment speech. And flops. Why? People didn't care for her movie and liked Colman's performance better. Likewise, GB won cause people loved it. They were bored by Roma. It isn't Netflix boycott or whatever that sunk it but a) there's a category for foreign language movie and b) boring as fuck. So 4chan trolls or Awards Watch trolls, you are same dumb shit. Takedowns don't work. You only get lucky to create false narrative that you did it if there was general indifference and/or dislike (Solo, 3B) that coincidentally lined up with your goals. But GB and BR didn't go down any more than CM will cause people actually care for them. 

Inspiring Political Speech does not lock a win. McDormand didn't win cause of Female Empowerment speeches but because they loved her performance. Close didn't win despite Female Empowerment speech cause they didn't like her movie/performance or liked Colman's better. Also, Inspiring Political Speech is now super rote now cause everyone makes them. You stand out more if you don't. But either way, speech does not lock a win. 

New Academy Kidz voted for GB. let that sink in. You can't say this was whitelash or revenge of old white straight male voters or whatever. The number of NAK increased. So if you credit their influence to Moonlight and Fishfuck wins, you have to credit them for GB too. AMPAS didn't age 50 years overnight or become more white or male when they increased diversity membership between 2018 and 2019. People loved the movie obviously. 4 quadrant AMPAS style. 

Scandal should not hurt the whole team and thankfully didn't. Rami, Sound guys and editors are not Bryan Singer and shouldn't be treated like him. same goes for any scandal. It's a personal thing so contain it to that one person. 

No host is a good thing. 

Edited by Valonqar

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Things we learned:

like in case of review-bombing, smear campaign doesn't work. There are movies and people who are doomed to fail (Close, Roma in Picture, 3 Billboards in Picture, Solo at the boxoffice, TLJ legs, etc) but we don't know it and they don't know it. Lets call them Group A. And there are movies and people poised for success but they don't know it and we don't know it (Coleman in Actress, Rami in Actor, GB in Picture, CM at the boxoffice, etc). If you try to smear or review-bomb or otherwise take down group B, it won't work cause if movie/actor is loved or has big anticipation, they'll succeed cause boycott/smear does not work period. If you try to take down Group A in the same way they won't go down cause of your review-bombing/smear campaign but because they weren't liked enough to begin with. There was no smear against Close. She checked all boxes: long overdue, no scandal, makes obligatory female empowerment speech. And flops. Why? People didn't care for her movie and liked Colman's performance better. Likewise, GB won cause people loved it. They were bored by Roma. It isn't Netflix boycott or whatever that sunk it but a) there's a category for foreign language movie and b) boring as fuck. So 4chan trolls or Awards Watch trolls, you are same dumb shit. Takedowns don't work. You only get lucky to create false narrative that you did it if there was general indifference and/or dislike (Solo, 3B) that coincidentally lined up with your goals. But GB and BR didn't go down any more than CM will cause people actually care for them. 

Inspiring Political Speech does not lock a win. McDormand didn't win cause of Female Empowerment speeches but because they loved her performance. Close didn't win despite Female Empowerment speech cause they didn't like her movie/performance or liked Colan's better. Also, Inspiring Political Speech is now super rote now cause everyone makes them. You stand out more if you don't. But either way, speech does not lock a win. 

New Academy Kidz voted for GB. let that sink in. You can't say this was whitelash or revenge of old white straight male voters or whatever. The number of NAK increased. So if you credit their influence to Moonlight and Fishfuck wins, you have to credit them for GB too. AMPAS didn't age 50 years overnight or become more white or male when they increased diversity membership between 2018 and 2019. People loved the movie obviously. 4 quadrant AMPAS style. 

Scandal should not hurt the whole team and thankfully didn't. Rami, Sound guys and editors are not Bryan Singer and shouldn't be treated like him. same goes for any scandal. It's a personal thing so contain it to that one person. 

No host is a good thing. 

1. I don't think speech aren't working, Regina King won despite snubbed in SAG and BAFTA and the movie she was in snubbed, but it was GG speech that make her stand out from the rest, and make people notice her. 

Same goes to colman, her BAFTA speech was awesome and brought the entire hall laughing non-stop. It is that moment i feel close was no longer a locked and BAFTA speech worked as the most effective campaign to win the heart and make them pay attention to your work! 

2. Green Book is another showcase of how advantageous you can be if you are feel good drama, plus some social relevant message in a feel good drama. They may not think the movie is the best , but they wouldn't hate it and most importantly, general audience will have their support. 

3. No host approach worked better than expected but I guess it worked if your nominees are already attention-seeking enough. 

@titanic2187 Regina is well respected in the industry and had a mother courage role. saying that speech won her Oscar doesn't explain SAG and BAFTA snubs that came after the speech. So I'd say speech is irrelevant. After all, people swore that Close won the Oscar with her GG speech, far more noticed speech than King's (but then, Lead is always more noticed than Supporting). It doesn't hurt to make a nice one but it doesn't tip the odds in one's favor either. 

58 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

I'm surprised Green Book won. 

Look at the demographics of who makes up the Academy...are you still surprised? They're getting better, but GB winning was always a foregone conclusion.

Though I am happy everyone seemed to ignore Vice in the end.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, the show ended going over by only 20 minutes. There really is no need for a host anymore.

let's see what the numbers look like. if they're up from last year i can see them going hostless again. it really was the most enjoyable ceremony in a while for me (despite.... some winners). the show really shed some fat by not having any dumb bits.

• Like 1