filmlover

91st Academy Awards - Discussion thread - RACISM IS OVER, THANKS GREEN BOOK

1 minute ago, aabattery said:

Give Regina King some credit (I say without having seen Beale Street but she's terrific in The Leftovers so I'll just pretend it's for that till next week).

I only just got around to watching Colman's speech. Hadn't actually watched the ceremony I just kept refreshing wiki lol. And I ain't yet seen King in anything I'm afraid.

• Like 1

I'm confused by the amount of hate Green Book gets on this forum.. 

I thought it was one of the best movies of last year and everyone in my social circle loved it. I wanted ASIB to win best pic but Green Book was my 2nd choice so congratz :bravo:

Edited by RealLyre
  • Like 1

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

There is a difference between stunts during the programming then the entire focus of who wins or is nominated seen 100% thru a social, ethnic and cultural lens.

There is far less a focus on the actual films and the 'glamour' of Hollywood and more on those issues and I think it just turns off most of the general audience. Not because they are sexist, racist but most people look for escapism and the academy does not offer that anymore. 

I actually even forgot the Oscars where on tonight and until I saw the headline "greenbook won oscar" on the news. 

Shouldn't it be natural that famous people will bring up real world events at these shows though? It's a live show, there's no rules to enforce beyond bleeping out the profanity. Like what do you want, a rule that if you mentioned politics your award gets taken away? Come on man. And if you get triggered by famous people talking about politics than that's definitely a "you" problem.

@aabattery @Jake Gittes both of you haven't even at least seen Jerry Maguire?! For shame. King is great in everything, not just Beale Street.

Her speech was definitely one of the highlights of the night. Felt like it came straight from the heart. Even Emma Stone was clearly moved.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Pretty much the Oscars over the years have become a Hollywood Political social jerk they have alienated the larger audience.

This year it seems they have tried to go more mainstream in their choices and have not really picked up much broader attention and have upset most of the audience that cares for the Academy. 

So its been a pretty bad year for the Academy. 

That could be right, but in term of quality of the show itself, it went quite well right ?

The situation is rumored to get a bit "dire":

https://deadline.com/2019/02/oscars-ads-abc-ratings-concerns-threshold-guarantees-1202562868/

Has for people that care for the shows, I watched the american ABC stream and the ads were Rolex, Cadillac, high end luxury meriton VIP travel package, heart surgery, old rich people is the main demo/were the money is, I am not sure if they got particularly upset this year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

@aabattery @Jake Gittes both of you haven't even at least seen Jerry Maguire?! For shame. King is great in everything, not just Beale Street.

Her speech was definitely one of the highlights of the night. Felt like it came straight from the heart. Even Emma Stone was clearly moved.

Nope. You're free to feel old.

And why do you keep saying "even Emma Stone" like she's usually an Abigail Masham in real life lol.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Shouldn't it be natural that famous people will bring up real world events at these shows though? It's a live show, there's no rules to enforce beyond bleeping out the profanity. Like what do you want, a rule that if you mentioned politics your award gets taken away? Come on man. And if you get triggered by famous people talking about politics than that's definitely a "you" problem.

Always trying to paint me as a simpleton lol 

You did not get me, the Oscars always had the political stunts but the Oscars have gone from Hollywood glamour to a more politicized event overall in how its seen. 

I think that is why people just dont care as much.

Edited by Lordmandeep

9 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Nope. You're free to feel old.

And why do you keep saying "even Emma Stone" like she's usually an Abigail Masham in real life lol.

It's always sweet to see fellow nominees clearly taking losing in stride and being genuinely happy for the people they lost to lol. Remember when Denzel made no attempt hiding how disappointed he was losing to Casey Affleck two years ago?

Edited by filmlover

7 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Always trying to paint me as a simpleton lol 

You did not get me, the Oscars always had the political stunts but the Oscars have gone from Hollywood glamour to a more politicized event overall in how its seen. 

I think that is why people just dont care as much.

They're no more political now than they've ever been but okay, whatever helps you sleep at night I guess.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

It's always sweet to see fellow nominees clearly taking losing in stride and being genuinely happy for the people they lost to lol. Remember when Denzel made no attempt hiding how disappointed he was losing to Casey Affleck two years ago?

They were in different category.

Not having strong desire to win 2 close to each other is quite common I think.