filmlover

91st Academy Awards - Discussion thread - RACISM IS OVER, THANKS GREEN BOOK

Just now, Mulder said:

It might've been passing dialogue then but it clearly wasn't shown.

Please rewatch the film, it wasn't a passing line, it is totally legit fact in the movie but other can't help it because he is an police officer. 

Who is willing to trust a dead----- over a police officer that represent the justice system? No one...and when the way the film decided to put his arrest scene in a comically way. That bar scene left me angry, his character had been so out of place in the movie and yet his misdeed wasn't treated seriously visually.

I guess Spike Lee can't wait to criticize Trump with his historical footage. Trust me, the abuse of power of the police in USA have been there before Trump was even born and the victim aren't only Black, it could be a dog, a woman. 

I don't want to get myself so political but Bkkk simply do not deserve to stand along with 12 years a slave and moonlight. I had BKKK in my best picture ballot for a while simply because i think the anti-Trump sentiment is still out there and given how timely it is.  

2 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

lol at lordmandeep trying to use me in his "progressives are dumb" argument

No its progressives who lose their shit over stuff like this that are dumb then progressives in general. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

Please rewatch the film, it wasn't a passing line, it is totally legit fact in the movie but other can't help it because he is an police officer. 

Who is willing to trust a dead----- over a police officer that represent the justice system? No one...and when the way the film decided to put his arrest scene in a comically way. That bar scene left me angry, his character had been so out of place in the movie and yet his misdeed wasn't treated seriously visually.

I guess Spike Lee can't wait to criticize Trump with his historical footage. Trust me, the abuse of power of the police in USA have been there before Trump was even born and the victim aren't only Black, it could be a dog, a woman. 

I don't want to get myself so political but Bkkk simply do not deserve to stand along with 12 years a slave and moonlight. I had BKKK in my best picture ballot for a while simply because i think the anti-Trump sentiment is still out there and given how timely it is.  

The thing the role of the police in BlackKkklansman isn't even it's main focus, it's not about police violence. It plays a role in it but it's mainly about white supremacy overall. Keep in mind even the KKK itself in BlackKklansman is treated with a mix of seriousness and humor, not just the police. Also yeah but police violence against PoC specifically PoC men is higher then any other group (also putting dogs on the same level as people....)

6 minutes ago, Mulder said:

M8 no one actually thinks only white people like Green Book.

I have heard the phrase 'this movie was made only for white people" ever since this movie released on here and over the internet lol. 

Like blast, the movie all you want for how it handles race relations and I do agree with you generally, but when you guys use blanket statements like that, it just sounds stupid. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

11 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Putting the focus of this thread back where it belongs

Can she be in the awards race every year please?

While everyone's fighting over Green Book I'm just delighting in her surprise win (while at the same time feeling kinda bad for Close - she really is gonna have to wait for an honorary Oscar, isn't she?). Reinforces the notion that having a strong film that is a player in multiple categories (versus being the lone nominee for your movie) really helps a lot.

Pretty much the Oscars over the years have become a Hollywood Political social jerk they have alienated the larger audience.

This year it seems they have tried to go more mainstream in their choices and have not really picked up much broader attention and have upset most of the audience that cares for the Academy. 

So its been a pretty bad year for the Academy. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Mulder said:

The thing the role of the police in BlackKkklansman isn't even it's main focus, it's not about police violence. It plays a role in it but it's mainly about white supremacy overall. Keep in mind even the KKK itself in BlackKklansman is treated with a mix of seriousness and humor, not just the police. Also yeah but police violence against PoC specifically PoC men is higher then any other group (also putting dogs on the same level as people....)

I must say the film was quite in tone with its seriousness and humour but definitely the humour element shouldn't be applied to his character and that scene. His character may not be the main focus but certainly worth a try to integrate his misdeed with the main KKK plot.  

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Then he should see the movie that won and ask himself why he's mad that a movie that focuses on acceptance between two races won over his movie that focuses all on contention between two races. 

I never thought I'd read such trash before going to sleep! 😒😖

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

4 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Pretty much the Oscars over the years have become a Hollywood Political social jerk they have alienated the larger audience.

This year it seems they have tried to go more mainstream in their choices and have not really picked up much broader attention and have upset most of the audience that cares for the Academy. 

So its been a pretty bad year for the Academy. 

You keep saying this but I'm pretty sure you've never watched an actual Oscar show. You really think the Oscars are any more political now than decades ago when you had Zionist Hoodlums and Sacheen Littlefeather?

Edited by filmlover

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

You keep saying this but I'm pretty sure you've never watched an actual Oscar show. You really think the Oscars are any more political now than decades ago when you had Zionist Hoodlums and Sacheen Littlefeather?

The Deer Hunter had actual street protests against it on the night of the ceremony.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

You really think the Oscars are any more political now than decades ago when you had Zionist Hoodlums and Sacheen Littlefeather?

The room audience was half booing/clapping (same for Micheal Moore Shame of you Bush for the Irak War) during those moment too no ?, they were some year more political but the room felt more split about it and that can make the at home watching audience react quite differently.

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

There is a difference between stunts during the programming then the entire focus of who wins or is nominated seen 100% thru a social, ethnic and cultural lens.

There is far less a focus on the actual films and the 'glamour' of Hollywood and more on those issues and I think it just turns off most of the general audience. Not because they are sexist, racist but most people look for escapism and the academy does not offer that anymore. 

I actually even forgot the Oscars where on tonight and until I saw the headline "greenbook won oscar" on the news. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1