sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimate | LEGO MOVIE 2 $8.5M | WHAT MEN WANT $6.6M | COLD PURSUIT $ 3.64M | THE PRODIGY $2.02M

4 hours ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

This may be my Lego Movie 2 depression talking but  I feel animation and family films will underperform this year. Outside of The Lion King and Frozen 2, I think no animated film will go over $325M and a lot underperforming (TS4, Pets 2, Dragon 3), and no family film (PikaPika and Aladdin (the latter will also underperform)) as well mainly due how packed the schedule. Hell those two may barely cross $600M and $400M respectively. It may be 2011/2017 all over again. 

Something like:

Dragon 3 Under $140M

Wonder Park O/U Sherlock Gnomes

Dumbo and Shazam! sub $200M

Missing Link Under Kubo

Uglydolls sub $30M

Pikachu Under $300M

Aladdin Under $200M

Pets 2 Under $275M

TS4 Under $300M

TLK sub $600M

AB2 Under Emoji

SID Under $60M

Abonimable Under Smallfoot

Frozen 2 Under $400M

I don't think TS4 will miss the $300m mark, but Pikachu was never going to do over $300m in the first place.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tupek said:

I don't think TS4 will miss the $300m mark, but Pikachu was never going to do over $300m in the first place.

None of those happening would be underperforming apart from toy story under 300M.

2 minutes ago, Marathon said:

From $50m to $40m to possibly $30m(!) opening weekend for Lego. 🤯

Complete implosion.

And with the overseas numbers offering barely any help, TLM2 will struggle to break even from its worldwide theatrical run.

That might be the most astounding thing about these numbers (how low it's going below tracking from even just a few days ago - analysts were even predicting $60M in some circles). Interest in this property clearly just died.

• Like 2

What with the Ninjago numbers, it did seem like the Lego franchise had cratered in terms of interest. So a drop from the first isn't shocking, but still, the size of the drop is big, especially given recent expectations...

I do hope HTTYD3 makes up for this with families. Love that movie and want it to do great.

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

That might be the most astounding thing about these numbers (how low it's going below tracking from even just a few days ago - analysts were even predicting $60M in some circles). Interest in this property clearly just died.

I disagree...like Glass, which dropped from $75M, to $50M, and then to $40M...I think there's interest, but at a price point...and interest didn't turn into purchase b/c the price point wasn't met...

As I said, my son is "interested" in a lot of things, and if I was getting tracked, I'd express interest...but I'm not buying without something more...at least not for this level of movie...

Lego 2014 was a novelty and cannot be repeated, no one cares after that about watching Lego characters in cinema. The only reason Lego Batman did so well was because it was a Batman film.

• Like 1