sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimate | LEGO MOVIE 2 $8.5M | WHAT MEN WANT $6.6M | COLD PURSUIT $ 3.64M | THE PRODIGY $2.02M

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I feel like it could have worked if the marketing was right and we didn't have those other films in the middle. It worked for beloved films like Finding Nemo and Incredibles 2. Even Ralph 2 managed to make more than its predecessor and no one liked anywhere as much as The Lego Movie. The problem is that Ninjago released and was trash and WB fucked up the marketing for the film (like they did for their other animated films).

The gap in time for Pixar sequels let those kids that grew out of it as a teen swing back around as an adult. 

4 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I still cant fathom why they open the sequel 5 years later, reagardless of spin-offs, for an animated franchise, that is just idiotic imo. A 10 year old who loved the first film in cinemas is now 15, a moody teen who has no intention of spending his/hers money wisely and who is probably just watching Keeping up with the f*** Kardashians 24 hours a day. Of course a big part of the first films' audience wont come back.

They were too busy jerking off Batman again by rushing Lego Batman instead of a sequel to their hit movie. It's not a mystery why The Lego Movie 2 is bombing. Just like their obsession with Batman harmed their DC franchise. Their obsession with that one character is detrimental to their business. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I feel like it could have worked if the marketing was right and we didn't have those other films in the middle. It worked for beloved films like Finding Nemo and Incredibles 2. Even Ralph 2 managed to make more than its predecessor and no one liked anywhere as much as The Lego Movie. The problem is that Ninjago released and was trash and WB fucked up the marketing for the film (like they did for their other animated films).

The Disney brand keeps their products alive through merchandising, theme parks, etc. which allows the characters and the movies to remain relevant so it's not hard to see why those maintain their audience.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, salvador-232 said:

But remember kids, the Cameron fanboys are only excited about the movies and is everyone else that is being mean to them 

Back to numbers now please.

The "everyone takes turns at giving a monologue on the state of Cameron fanboys" got old years ago.

Yet to see many OW 3 DAY, 4-5 day OW Alita predictions! This is the weekend thread right? Let's see em'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It will open to Godzilla numbers and have Skull Island legs. It's the textbook definition of a crowd pleasing movie. I will be surprised if it does not do 3x legs at minimum

I think it will open way less than the first because it has to pay for that movie sins. If it is really a lot better though it should have a better multiple 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Who would have thought 3 months ago that The Upside could potentially out-gross Lego Movie 2

That is incredibly unlikely.

32 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Godzilla 2 I think is guaranteed to go down domestically. Like Lego it is coming five years after the original and in that case, the first film wasn't even well liked 

yes, increasing on g2014 is nigh on impossible, should still do fine though and if its well received then Kong V Godzilla can do good also.

loved the lego movie but i'm for sure skipping this one in cinemas. didn't like the spin-off flicks and there was no hook in the marketing. those sequels where the whole selling point is just "look... we made another one" never works out for them.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, filmlover said:

You know that leading role opportunities for women of color (especially in high-profile romcom vehicles like What Men Want) aren't exactly plentiful, right? Also, she is an Oscar and Emmy nominee and Golden Globe winner, so let's not even pretend to question her acting credentials.

Where did I question her acting credentials? No matter the state of women of color in Hollywood, I'm commenting on the high-concept plot's bigger potential with a bigger star. Not everything is about being woke for chrissake. 

5 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Back to numbers now please.

The "everyone takes turns at giving a monologue on the state of Cameron fanboys" got old years ago.

Yet to see many OW 3 DAY, 4-5 day OW Alita predictions! This is the weekend thread right? Let's see em'

I'd take the under on yours:).  I think, after seeing Lego's disappointing numbers, you were saying 3 day DOM Alita should be about 3 day DOM Lego, give or take a million b/c of the Thursday opening, right?:)

18 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Those two are bad exames, Nemo had what 13 year gap, incredibles I think 14 year gap. If you make 10+ year gap then yes it can work, because audience of kids who liked them at the time, have grown up and have some sort of nostalgia for them. Not the case with a 5 year gap. Animated sequels you need to get them out quickly, because kids grow up fast.

I also dont understand what you mean "WB fucks up marketing for all its animated films", in that case why did Lego Movie open to 69M?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

loved the lego movie but i'm for sure skipping this one in cinemas. didn't like the spin-off flicks and there was no hook in the marketing. those sequels where the whole selling point is just "look... we made another one" never works out for them.

937d163dt8v01.jpg

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I'd take the under on yours:).  I think, after seeing Lego's disappointing numbers, you were saying 3 day DOM Alita should be about 3 day DOM Lego, give or take a million b/c of the Thursday opening, right?:)

I'll wait to see how UK did this werkend but im going 25 to 35 on the 3d right now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tonytr87 said:

Where did I question her acting credentials? No matter the state of women of color in Hollywood, I'm commenting on the high-concept plot's bigger potential with a bigger star. Not everything is about being woke for chrissake. 

Well, she did headline a movie that made nearly $170M just over two years ago (and the traditional starpower method as we knew it is dead in today's environment), so...

Just now, IronJimbo said:

I'll wait to see how UK did this werkend but im going 25 to 35 on the 3d right now.

Yeah, even at 25 3 day, I'd take the under:)...I mean, the deals for this movie will buoy it, but I'm not seeing breakout or walkup teen wave with Happy Death Day 2 U opening the day before...