Litio

4-day Weekend Official| Alita $33.50M, Lego $27.75m, Isn't Romantic $16.64M, WMW $12.21m, HDD2U $11m

ALITA guess with 9 OD,

#0 2.40

#1 6.60 [9.0]

#2 6.25 (-5% / -31%) [15.25]

#3 10.0 (+60%) [25.25]

#4 8.0 (-20%) [33.25]

#5 4.4 (-45%) [37.65]

Needs 2.26x the 5-day for 85.0 Dom.

DIE HARD did 1.83x the 5-day in 2013. Didn't have previews but was a sequel.

ALITA should have better wom.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, a2k said:

ALITA guess with 9 OD,

#0 2.40

#1 6.60 [9.0]

#2 6.25 (-5% / -31%) [15.25]

#3 10.0 (+60%) [25.25]

#4 8.0 (-20%) [33.25]

#5 4.4 (-45%) [37.65]

Needs 2.26x the 5-day for 85.0 Dom.

DIE HARD did 1.83x the 5-day in 2013. Didn't have previews but was a sequel.

ALITA should have better wom.

Where were you a month ago when I was coming up with weekend projections, lol.  I'm glad someone else sees this comp as valid, but certain people thought I was dumb for using comps from 6 years ago.

Edited by Deep Wang
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Good numbers for Alita and Isn't It Romantic.

I guess we can call Happy Death Day 2U the first semi-dud (insofar a movie with a $6M budget that'll easily make it back can be called such) for Jason Blum considering it appears it'll be lucky to make half of the first movie (which wasn't that big of a hit to begin with).

15 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Good numbers for Alita and Isn't It Romantic.

I guess we can call Happy Death Day 2U the first semi-dud (insofar a movie with a $6M budget that'll easily make it back can be called such) for Jason Blum considering it appears it'll be lucky to make half of the first movie (which wasn't that big of a hit to begin with).

How is a movie that makes $55M+ domestic and $70M OS on a budget of $4.8M not considered a big hit.....

Imo the reason why Happy Death Day 2U is looking like a flop is because of how well the first one did. The sequel was most likely green lit on the basis that they could start a potential franchise of sorts with this concept. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Nova said:

How is a movie that makes $55M+ domestic and $70M OS on a budget of $4.8M not considered a big hit.....

Imo the reason why Happy Death Day 2U is looking like a flop is because of how well the first one did. The sequel was most likely green lit on the basis that they could start a potential franchise of sorts with this concept. 

It obviously made a big profit but it didn't breakout much beyond the typical midlevel Jason Blum grosses (movies like Split and Get Out were obviously exceptions) and it clearly didn't find much of a second life on home video judging by how much this is looking to fall. FWIW I saw the first in theaters and enjoyed it well enough but never had much interest in this, and I'm guessing a portion of the horror audience that showed up thanks to the Friday the 13th gimmick was disappointed that it was more of a comedy than a horror film and thus weren't on board for this (probably didn't help that this looked like the same exact movie as its predecessor and that it was going even further into "wacky" territory).

Edited by filmlover

14 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It obviously made a big profit but it didn't breakout much beyond the typical midlevel Jason Blum grosses (movies like Split and Get Out were obviously exceptions) and it clearly didn't find much of a second life on home video judging by how much this is looking to fall. FWIW I saw the first in theaters and enjoyed it well enough but never had much interest in this, and I'm guessing a portion of the horror audience that showed up thanks to the Friday the 13th gimmick was disappointed that it was more of a comedy than a horror film and thus weren't on board for this (probably didn't help that this looked like the same exact movie as its predecessor and that it was going even further into "wacky" territory).

I don’t know see how an original slasher making $125M+ isn’t considered a breakout/a hit. We can call the sequel a flop without downplaying the success of the original. Looking at BOM, its domestic gross is 11th all time for a slasher and 6th all time for WW gross. Sure it wasn’t as big as Get Out or Split but just because it wasn’t doesn’t negate the success it had. 

Mind you I didn’t see the first and I originally thought the first was going to flop so I have no horse in this race but I can’t look at the film and say it wasn’t a big hit especially for the genre it’s in. 

Edited by Nova

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

I don’t know see how an original slasher making $125M+ isn’t considered a breakout/a hit. We can call the sequel a flop without downplaying the success of the original. Looking at BOM, its domestic gross is 11th all time for a slasher and 6th all time for WW gross. Sure it wasn’t as big as Get Out or Split but just because it wasn’t doesn’t negate the success it had. 

Mind you I didn’t see the first and I originally thought the first was going to flop so I have no horse in this race but I can’t look at the film and say it wasn’t a big hit especially for the genre it’s in. 

That was precisely my point (that it was a hit for the genre it was in - mind you, said genre isn't known for producing blockbuster-sized grosses, so the numbers for the sequel look worse than they really are). :D

13 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I'm not gonna lie, I absolutely love how giddy @IronJimbo is today. I wish I could be in a mood like his all the time. This is really great

actually have a sickness bug so lower energy than I would havebeen

alitabillieangel.jpg.6fd433c5134edcc86ee

we're witnessing history here, against all odds

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Seriously, what the fuck is going on with the box office this year. It can't just be lack of interest because this feels abnormal. I've read some reports on YouTube of people who said they couldn't go to theaters because they were snowed in...... do you guys think the bad weather is really a factor here too?

The streaming takeover has officially begun. Really damn sad too, because there will be nothing sadder than if the theatrical experience goes extinct.