CaptainJackSparrow

TOLKIEN | May 10, 2019 | Fox Searchlight (biopic)

https://deadline.com/2019/01/lily-collins-nicholas-hoult-tolkien-movie-may-release-date-lord-of-the-rings-1202537025/

Called Tolkien, Hoult and Lily Collins star, opens May 10th. Won't be a platform release, but a wide, unsaturated release (like Exotic Marigold, Far From the Madding Crowd, etc.)

nicholas hoult is a very contrasting actor. when he plays it straight he consistently 100% sucks ass, is a total dead weight on screen the least interesting actor to watch imaginable. but when he gets to be a bit weird in The Favourite or Fury Road he rules. those are his two good performances. so i'm sure this will be bad.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

nicholas hoult is a very contrasting actor. when he plays it straight he consistently 100% sucks ass, is a total dead weight on screen the least interesting actor to watch imaginable. but when he gets to be a bit weird in The Favourite or Fury Road he rules. those are his two good performances. so i'm sure this will be bad.

Where does About A Boy fit into all this?

Seems like a routine biopic. I suspected they would have Edith Tolkien doing her dance in the forest (inspiration for one of the most famous scenes in "The Simarallion) and his experiences during the battle of the Somme in World War One.

I wonder if they will point out for all the fame and fortune LOTR brought him, he considered the Simarallion to be his great life's work.

I admit, it would make me happy if the film were full of refences to his works that only people who have actually read the books would get, and  would go right over the head of those who have only seen the movies

I Checked the IMDB page on this movie to see the cast/character list...mainly for the charecters...and from the charecters they cover in the movie it is going to concentrate heavily on Tokien's early years....his college days,the friendships he made there, and then his experiences in World War One ,,where almost of all his friends were killed (the life expetency of a new officer on the Western front was extremely short since he was the first one over the top)and Toikien survived only by being  badly wounded and being declared unfit for Frontline duty and serving behind the lines for the rest of the war.