sfran43

Weekend Thread | An Asgardian pops in on p.9 ~ HTTYD3 17m, A:BA 3.1m, IIR 2.2m

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

26m looks doable to me. It's looking at a weekend over 5m and a near 22m cume after Sunday. And next weekend's quiet will be good for it.

I dunno I think it’ll lose thousands of locations next week. 

1 hour ago, a2k said:

Giving it a 45% Sun drop it gets to a 5.0 weekend and 21.64 cume, just 4.4 away from HDD1 3-day ow. Will get there but not by much. 8.4 more for 30 cume seems like the most it will do.

$30m would save some face but is a pipe dream I reckon. 

The box office is in a slump since the start of the year let's be honest

$55m is a franchise "best" for How to Train Your Dragon ( terrible titles, marvelous movies by the way )

When you consider that the Sat $22.5m is the 1st time a HTTYD movie makes $20m+ in a single day you really get the picture, WOW

Why there isn't big draw? I'll tell you why, it needs to be goofy with pop culture cheap humor & songs, no one cares about how a pet dragon helped a boy complete his coming-of-age story, it's written off, That's why the HTTYD saga doesn't get the crowd draw it absolutely deserves, because of it's sincere story telling ...

Edited by shakerxxoo
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, shakerxxoo said:

The box office is in a slump since the start of the year let's be honest

$55m is a franchise "best" for How to Train Your Dragon ( terrible titles, marvelous movies by the way )

When you consider that the Sat $22.5m is the 1st time a HTTYD movie makes $20m+ in a single day you really get the picture, WOW

Why there isn't big draw? I'll tell you why,  it needs to be to be goofy with pop culture cheap humor & songs, no one cares about how a pet dragon helped a boy complete his coming-of-age story, it's written off, That's why the HTTYD saga doesn't get the crowd draw it absolutely deserves, because of it's sincere story telling ...

Kind of true. As someone who simply doesnt understand what a human beeing could find appealing in a Minion, its frustrating to see great animated movies more often than not teaking a backseat to cheap offerings like the Illuminati movies.

Pets 2 will probably make 90M+ on OW and a 300M+ total. Thinking about that makes me a bit sad.

Disclaimer, because the Internet is heated an so on: If you like Illumination or the Minion/DM movies, thats totally fine. But im allowed to dislike them as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Going to somewhat parrot the others but as an animation fan, I find it sad and hate that Illumination who has been reinforcing the “animation is for kids” by pandering to their audiences which cause most animation studios to do the same bubblegum entertainment. It’s not fair when shit like Minions get to $1.15B and movies like Spider Verse make barely over $350M. Sure you have quite a few good animated films for everyone that break the mold in terms of crazy success. I just wish they and some other studios would step up their quality.

That said: If you like Illumination, it’s fine, hell I like Despicable Me 1 and Sing.

• Like 1

HDD2 must have hit really well with the discount #s given the low #s.  

it could have got a lot of looks for free off of servers, hopefully that redistributes the films advertisement in a positive direction.

I think ticket buyers missed this one because of distractions and mental health reasons, but

HTTYD3 was able to renew a Cars 3 sized audience 

20 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Pets 2 will probably make 90M+ on OW and a 300M+ total. Thinking about that makes me a bit sad.

Agree, everyone knows the illumination movies are for kids, just forgettable & they never get nominated for Oscars

HTTYD is a rare animated trilogy, it can almost work as a live action adaptation, I hope Universal take a chance in the next 10 years

with a fantastic script, great cast & a director who knows how to adapt the children books into a heartfelt saga this could really work not a 4th HTTYD animated in the next 5-6 years with new characters which will make $50m or less & no one goes to see it ...

One more sad thing to do with animation. Now that the Lego franchise is basically dead, the only animated movies from the major Hollywood animation studios that won't use traditional CGI animation will be the Spider-verse movies, Space Jam 2, and probably that DC Super-Pets movie. And none of those are original films. 

1 minute ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

traditional animation has been dead ever since Disney thought pitting Winnie the pooh against the last Harry Potter movie was somehow a good idea. "hint hint it wasn't" . and that sucks

Hey we got this instead

funny-tweets-about-smith-genie-aladdin-t

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

32 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Kind of true. As someone who simply doesnt understand what a human beeing could find appealing in a Minion, its frustrating to see great animated movies more often than not teaking a backseat to cheap offerings like the Illuminati movies.

Disclaimer, because the Internet is heated an so on: If you like Illumination or the Minion/DM movies, thats totally fine. But im allowed to dislike them as well.

To be fair to the Minions, they were very funny in the 1st Despicable Me movie (which I enjoyed - the one true home run, of sorts, from Illumination.... they had one or two fun movies after that, but clearly lazied out and put out nothing as good as DM1 since). And they were also entertaining enough in DM2. As nothing more than supporting slapstick fiddle. Unfortunately, the overabundance of Minions shorts became tiresome after a while, and to make matters worse, the Minions movie itself blew because it was made around a concept that only works as supporting slapstick fiddle and nothing else. And sadly, Illumination are not good enough to overcome the deficiencies of making a movie about the Minions without the actual heart of the DM series (Gru). And I never saw DM3 but apparently it wasn't that good and the Minions were just doing their tired schtick there as well. And yes, Illumination panders to young kids in a stereotypical "this is children's entertainment" way that kinda pisses me off. It's not even like WB and Looney Tunes, MGM and Tom & Jerry or Disney and the Mickey/Donald/Goofy cartoons where, while being slapsticky too, they were actually funny and visually creative.... these movies lack imagination and actual comedy :rofl:  Like, SLOP wasn't atrocious, but it was just a Toy Story rip-off with characters 1% as memorable, quotable or entertaining. Maybe Pets 2 turns out better...... could be a surprisingly decent film (like Sing, imo). But who knows.

Either way, yes, it is good to see a trilogy like HTTYD get something of a reward for its caper chapter at the box office. Why don't these movies do better than they do is anyone's guess.

• Like 3

Just now, ScoobyDoo21 said:

traditional animation has been dead ever since Disney thought pitting Winnie the pooh against the last Harry Potter movie was somehow a good idea. "hint hint it wasn't" . and that sucks

That was never expected to be a big hit though. I'm pretty sure it was the tepid-ish grosses for The Princess and the Frog (especially in comparison to the massive numbers Tangled put up the following year) that made them turn their backs against traditional animation pretty much for good.

Movie Distributor Gross Change Thtrs. Per Thtr. Total Gross Week
1 new How to Train Your Dragon: T… Universal $55,528,000   4,259 $13,038   $55,528,000 1
- (37) Fighting With My Family United Artists $8,012,000 +5,673% 2,711 $2,955   $8,227,021 2
- (5) Happy Death Day 2U Universal $4,988,000 -47% 3,212 $1,553   $21,610,880 2
- (10) Green Book Universal $2,088,000 -28% 1,253 $1,666   $69,605,686 15
- (8) Glass Universal $1,764,000 -55% 1,446 $1,220   $107,929,055 6

HTTYD3 Break-down

Date Rank Gross % Change Theaters Per Theater Total Gross Days
2019/02/22 1 $17,445,000   4,259 $4,096   $17,445,000 1
2019/02/23 1 $22,401,000 +28% 4,259 $5,260   $39,846,000 2
2019/02/24 1 $15,681,000 -30% 4,259 $3,682   $55,527,000 3