MrGlass2

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom | December 22, 2023 | David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick (co-writer of first film) returns

Just now, Mulder said:

No obviously not everything CBM related will bomb, there'll always be strong ones, but if in 2023 out of the 6 releases in the genre, 5 were bombs then yeah it's a problem with the genre.

That I concur. Days of Guardians of the Galaxy kind of no name movie breaking out is done. Not sure what DC is thinking putting out movie like Authority !!! No chance of that succeeding however good it is. Just make Bats/Supes and Team up movie. 

21 minutes ago, Mulder said:

If this also bombs, then it's just over for the superhero genre as a whole.

Nah, this is a dead universe's death rattle, being sent out to die. Not much rides on this.

As I've said elsewhere, let's wait on Deadpool, Joker, the Batman and Superman before making any such judgement calls. Basing it off on this bombing is just hyperbolic.

25 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I’m willing to wait and see how Superman: Legacy does before concluding that the genre is definitively dead, but the signs certainly aren’t promising right now. 

I don't think the CBM  is dead, but it days of total dominance are over.

With the strike over, time to send Jason Momoa on the big press tour. You have such a charismatic man you might as well use him. 

Aquaman being the last big movie of the year will have the most time for a strong marketing push.

Edited by Mojoguy

On 11/8/2023 at 3:14 PM, Arlborn said:

I like the fact that nowadays we are all sure this is going to do relatively poorly without need for any tracking what-so-ever, so this thread is a lot lighter than it could have been so far.

Let's see if this remains so once The Marvels wave passes us by and pre-sales starts.

The anger and fighting over DC films bombing is long past. Nobody really cares anymore. Its met with mostly a shrug at this point. Not even MCU fans troll DC stuff anymore much, it's boring.

This is still new for the MCU, so their fanbase is very angry and taking things personal, so the threads reflect that.

30 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Japanese trailer totally packed with new scenes 

This looks insane visually, so many monsters and explosive colors, it have a vibe of a Chinese movie tbh 

This looks insane, in the best kind of way!!

• Like 2

On 11/8/2023 at 11:37 PM, Arlborn said:

Nah, this is a dead universe's death rattle, being sent out to die. Not much rides on this.

As I've said elsewhere, let's wait on Deadpool, Joker, the Batman and Superman before making any such judgement calls. Basing it off on this bombing is just hyperbolic.

Not sure those ones speak for the genre as a whole when they’re such high profile popular superheroes. 

There has been one live action hit superhero film this year and it still made less than its predecessor. There other 5 have flopped. 

I saw bits of the first while channel hopping. No idea why people said its visuals were ‘amazing’, it was the same green screen uncanny valley bullshit that plagues 90% of these movies’ environments. Yes it’s underwater so in this case they had no choice, but that doesn’t mean it looked good. 

10 hours ago, Hatebox said:

I saw bits of the first while channel hopping. No idea why people said its visuals were ‘amazing’, it was the same green screen uncanny valley bullshit that plagues 90% of these movies’ environments. Yes it’s underwater so in this case they had no choice, but that doesn’t mean it looked good. 

It's a mix of Wan's direction (and fluid camera work) mixed with actually good action (a rarity in the genre) that pumps it up.