DeeCee

***SPOILERS***Captain Marvel Spoiler Thread | ***WARNING SPOILERS ALLOWED***WARNING SPOILERS ALLOWED***WARNING SPOILERS ALLOWED***

It's weird, the Skrulls are here, but without their "champion" guy, the Super-Skrull, because the Fantastic Four hasn't been introduced yet. 

So they're dominated by the Kree and their champion,  Ronin The Accuser. That certainly wouldnt be the case if Super-Skrull was there 😂

Edited by OdinSon2k14

1 hour ago, OdinSon2k14 said:

It's weird, the Skrulls are here, but without their "champion" guy, the Super-Skrull, because the Fantastic Four hasn't been introduced yet. 

So they're dominated by the Kree and their champion,  Ronin The Accuser. That certainly wouldnt be the case if Super-Skrull was there 😂

Really looking forward to Super-Skrull in the MCU. Now that's a REAL bad Skrull.

Really loved this a lot, the first scene was a bit terrible (overuse of smoke, terrible production, looked really lazy soundstage) and it got much better after that, it seem common now they know ending produce word of mouth, begining just need to be not terrible enough.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

7 hours ago, ChipMunky said:

I mean, she gave them a chance to prove it. They played the recording, she got her memory back. That pretty much confirmed it.

I don't think so, at all.  She has some cryptic comment from Mar-vel that she wants to end a war; that in no way implies or confirms that the Skrull are innocent, downtrodden refugees that the Kree are mercilessly persecuting.  And she's got the fact that her Kree mentor lied to her about her origin, and had shot down Mar-vel.  Both of these memories could easily have multiple plausible explanations-- for example, that Mar-vel had been the victim of Skrull mind-tampering, and was about to deliver the light drive to the Skrull in the mind-washed belief that they would use it to flee the galaxy, when in reality they were going to use it to accelerate ball bearings to the speed of light and turn the Kree homeworld into a fine mist, while the Collective AI had simply sealed off her memories so she could concentrate on her training, and she would have gotten them back after she completed her first mission.  For that matter, Vers shouldn't even be trusting her own memories, given that the first time she recalled them was when she was in Skrull captivity and hooked up to some sort of mind link device.  

I didn't find her switch from being a proud, dedicated "noble warrior hero" to joining the other side and killing unknown numbers of her former comrades to be any more compelling than, say, Annakin killing an entire school of 10 year olds because he was afraid of his wife dying.  In both cases, I'm not saying that I can't see the logic of getting from point A to point B; I'm saying that the transition happens way too fast and with way too little justifcation to work for me.

Edited by andrewgr
typos + clarification
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

2 hours ago, andrewgr said:

.....I'm not saying that I can't see the logic of getting from point A to point B; I'm saying that the transition happens way too fast and with way too little justifcation to work for me.

She has way more:

1. She 'knows' per Kree the person she sees during the Intelligence communication is the person she trusted most. For 6 years that gets hammered into her.

2. She knows Skrulls can only skim recent memories, so there is no way they influenced that.

3. She also dreams about the person she trusts mosts in those 6 years, what she knows per see point 1

4. The evidence discrepancy between what she got told (noble,...) and how e.g. the accusers work she sees then too

5. She knows per Krees and found evidence, that she has a reason fo losing her memory. Evidence points strongly to her being lied to by the Krees, starting with how she got her powers, the Krees knowing more than they said to her, seeing Yon-Rogg there as she remembers more and more beside him implying to her earlier on he doesn't know about her living on earth, also about who / what Mar-Vell was in his POV in one of those long-distance calls.

That Mar-Vell is Kree she knows also per the papers the find in the archive

6. How to interpret whichs POV she knows in the case of Mar-Vell also per having worked with her for some time, having gained a lot of respect for her.

As she remembers more and more, as her friend confirms more and more about the character/intentions of Mar-Vell, e.g. per said statements, in the sum its builds up.

Means to me Talos telling her things is not the reason to change as in main reason, but 'he' is the reason to change as the final point, the last drop that is flooding the water-barrel (you say seemingly in this case: It is the last straw that breaks the camel's back)

(pretty sure I forgot something)

• Like 2

I saw the movie last night in a theater that was a bit more than half full (200 seats, 120 taken).  It was good, I actually liked the 1st act more than the latter 2.  I liked how they did the probing of her memories segment, it was a fairly creative way to handle that kind of thing.  I also liked how she beat Jude Law at the end, again, its a nominally decent and fairly creative way to handle the final fight.  To me it was good and solid enough, like an overall 70% quality movie.  Not quite as good as BP, but in line with something like Dr Strange.

I was surprised the movie went into full on MiB territory.  Goofy alien cats with tentacle mouths that kill like 6 alien baddies at once... where was Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones?  It was a scene taken right from those movies.  To my memory none of the MCU movies have gone that far into alien goofiness.  GOTG certainly didn't and played it (actually) a bit more straight.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not upset/offended by this at all.  It's just interesting that they would reach into the MiB playbook and pull out that sort of over-the-top comedy tone.

Like Dr Strange I see this as a repeat-viewing-once type movie.  And I think on balance I liked how Brie Larson was attempting to play the character almost as if any male lead would play the character, almost in a gender neutral type of way.  We're well past the time when Supergirl needs to fly around aimlessly and chase horses cause that's what girls do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, terrestrial said:

She has way more:

1. She 'knows' per Kree the person she sees during the Intelligence communication is the person she trusted most. For 6 years that gets hammered into her.

2. She knows Skrulls can only skim recent memories, so there is no way they influenced that.

3. She also dreams about the person she trusts mosts in those 6 years, what she knows per see point 1

4. The evidence discrepancy between what she got told (noble,...) and how e.g. the accusers work she sees then too

5. She knows per Krees and found evidence, that she has a reason fo losing her memory. Evidence points strongly to her being lied to by the Krees, starting with how she got her powers, the Krees knowing more than they said to her, seeing Yon-Rogg there as she remembers more and more beside him implying to her earlier on he doesn't know about her living on earth, also about who / what Mar-Vell was in his POV in one of those long-distance calls.

That Mar-Vell is Kree she knows also per the papers the find in the archive

6. How to interpret whichs POV she knows in the case of Mar-Vell also per having worked with her for some time, having gained a lot of respect for her.

As she remembers more and more, as her friend confirms more and more about the character/intentions of Mar-Vell, e.g. per said statements, in the sum its builds up.

Means to me Talos telling her things is not the reason to change as in main reason, but 'he' is the reason to change as the final point, the last drop that is flooding the water-barrel (you say seemingly in this case: It is the last straw that breaks the camel's back)

(pretty sure I forgot something)

Okay, I don't want to derail the thread for this relatively minor disagreement.  The change was too sudden and too complete for me.  I still loved the movie, as I said previously it's in my top one-third of MCU movies.  All I was trying to do by mentioning this part that didn't work for me was to acknowledge that I don't think it's a flawless movie, or that there aren't legitimate things to complain about in it.

50 minutes ago, andrewgr said:

Okay, I don't want to derail the thread for this relatively minor disagreement.  The change was too sudden and too complete for me.  I still loved the movie, as I said previously it's in my top one-third of MCU movies.  All I was trying to do by mentioning this part that didn't work for me was to acknowledge that I don't think it's a flawless movie, or that there aren't legitimate things to complain about in it.

Fully o.K. for me.

It was not meant in the way: I see it this way, so you have too.

More like, maybe you missed some details bcs expecting something else or whyever.

Me, I sometimes see things I missed when someone tells me what he/she has seen in a certain scene.

I am still trying to formulate a ~ complete impression, each of the posts here help me to find the words in English and so on

In the case you rewatch it sometime and even remember my POV, and maybe have the fun in trying out to imagne other 'minds', maybe you see some glimpses of how I see it.

Or not 😉

Edited by terrestrial

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 2:01 PM, baumer said:

Not quite my tempo.  Had some good parts but pretty much felt the first 75% of it was one giant hot mess.  Liked the last 20 minutes.  Needed for Coulston, needed better use of sLJ.  Brie was definitely miscast imo as she just didn't have enough charisma to carry the role, in my opinion.  Might be the worst Marvel film to date.....except for Thor 2.

I would also put Captain Marvel near the bottom of the MCU, somewhere in the Thor 2 Iron Man 2 level of film quality. Brie Larson felt miscast, and here character didn't really seem to have an arc. Carol Danvers is pretty much the same character the entire movie, with the same quips and I can do anything attitude. I thought Samuel L. Jackson was really good. Talos stole the show for me. Mendelsohn gave the film's best performance! Jude Law was also good. 

Every dude in the movie, besides Nick Fury, was an incompetent clown or cat-calling misogynist ("You know why the call it the cock-pit right?" "Why don't you give me a smile?"). It was too on the nose for me. 

The story itself was okay at best with some massive plot holes. The action overall was meh, although I did like when CM took down the Kree missiles and starships. The fight scenes were not very engaging or imaginative. I just didn't find much to like about the film, and I was pretty much mentally checked out when the I'm just a girl song played as Captain Marvel beat everyone senseless without any effort. Ant Man and the Wasp was also very weak in my opinion. I need Avengers Endgame to really bring it to wash the taste of Marvel's last two movies out of my mouth. 

5/10 

• Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1

25 minutes ago, TombRaider said:

can i see this if i've only seen avengers 1 movie from Marvel universe?

There are a few references to the first Avengers movie that you'll get.  Those who watched the first Guardians of the Galaxy movie would have seen the Kree before, but CM established them and gives far more detail on them, so seeing GOTG isn't necessary.

Edited by IceFire9yt
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, TombRaider said:

As it plays timeline wise before all the other MCU movies beside CA 1 and has some connections to Avengers 1 I think its no problem. You will see 2 characters you know from Avengers 1 in this again, 1 big role 1 rather small.

I think CM might be done in a certain story version to match to later timeline like watches (rewatch not per release number but per date the story happens). There are a couple of characters appearing in another movie, but that has no real importance to CM, as they do not play a major - or impacting into CM - role

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TombRaider said:

Mallrats is the only required viewing.

Unfortunately I can't recall watching Mallrats in full so I was totally lost during this.

For an IMAX showing, it was pretty full. The "lower bowl" seats on the floor only had a few people, but the rows going up to the top were almost completely full.

Funny moment...its nearly impossible to be out cold, in a deep sleep, in an IMAX theater 🙂. They crank that sound system up to thunderous levels.

Yet, when the lights came on, after the after credit, there was this guy seated in the middle of the theater, out cold 😂. Everyone was laughing, like, should we wake him up? We all stood in the lower bowl laughing, while someone woke him up. 

Then someone said to him, "good movie huh?" 😂. Wow...if an IMAX sound system cant wake you up out of sleep 😂

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, OdinSon2k14 said:

Wow...if an IMAX sound system cant wake you up out of sleep 😂

An ex slept in an old very loud train, standing.

He got woken up by the person who dives a train (forgot the English term) at the end of the line. Still standing!

Wasn't where he should have departed....

On 3/8/2019 at 9:52 AM, DeeCee said:

The Tesseract. A timeline. 

-Asgard at some point in that past hide it in Norway

-Red Scull locates it in Norway and uses it to build Hydra weapons

-Lost at the bottom of the Atlantic until it is located by Howard Stark during his search for Captain America. 

-Late 40’s to mid 80’s presumably in the possession of Howard Stark/SHIELD/US Government or some combination of the 3. 

-Finds it’s way to Mar-Vell who uses it in her research on Light Speed Travel. Accident creates Captain Marvel. 

-1989-1995 On the Kree Cruiser in Earth   orbit. 

-1995-Located by Captain Marvel et al, eaten by Goose, regurgitated by Goose on Fury’s desk. 

-In the possession of SHIELD until stolen by Loki and used to create the portal above New York. 

-Returned with Thor and Loki to the vault on Asgard. 

-Taken by Loki before the destruction of Asgard. 

-Thanos takes it from Loki and it joins the other stones on his gauntlet. 

Did I miss anything?

I can’t be bothered watching this. I wonder how it matches up. 

• Like 1