DeeCee

***SPOILERS***Captain Marvel Spoiler Thread | ***WARNING SPOILERS ALLOWED***WARNING SPOILERS ALLOWED***WARNING SPOILERS ALLOWED***

5 hours ago, IceFire9yt said:

I don't think every movie in the franchise needs to be geared towards winning over new people.  This is akin to complaining about Infinity War being hard to follow for someone who's never seen a marvel movie before.  I mean, duh.  I think its okay for a few movies to be 'for the fans' as long as its not every 

Very strange argument, and revisionalist, as if to say in hindsight that when a movie does not do well, it was meant to be a fan service and not to gain new audience and further contribute to its cinematic world. What an irony to the tagline of "higher,   further , faster"? Lol.

And this is the point. The Avengers and A:IW gained massive new audience for Marvel Studio all over the world despite much harder to follow because they are very good and highly engaging, and made the characters stick. Ironically some solo origin movies that are largely self contained contribute much less because they are mediocre.

5 hours ago, IceFire9yt said:

The best analogue to this in terms of story telling is The Avengers.  After the circle shot in that movie there is zero tension.  No one is concerned about the heroes and they're just bulldozing everyone before them

Lol. I will rest my case as I suspect we are in different quantum realms and we watched different The Avengers movie. 

Edited by justvision
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have sung Brie Larson's praises in many different threads in the forums over the last couple of years. I thought she was absolutely fantastic in KK and she was obviously amazing in Room. I even liked her in 21 jump Street and in The spectacular now. But I just thought she was wooden in this and it's not totally her fault. I don't think the script was very good to her I don't think the directors were very good to her....overall I just thought it wasn't that great of an effort.

• Like 5

I think she was far away from being wooden. No grandstanding,.. not the typical 'push' to be seen. But very much there. More like a natural behaving person. Not like an army combat leader (as she is none of those - those too have their moments, she is just something else)

There were some scenes I thought she just wasn't that good in.  Wooden is more on the directors than her.  She's an oscar winning actress but I think the lack of experience from the directors hindered her performance.  Sorry, just my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, baumer said:

I have sung Brie Larson's praises in many different threads in the forums over the last couple of years. I thought she was absolutely fantastic in Godzilla and she was obviously amazing in Room. I even liked her in 21 jump Street and in The spectacular now. But I just thought she was wooden in this and it's not totally her fault. I don't think the script was very good to her I don't think the directors were very good to her....overall I just thought it wasn't that great of an effort.

Frankly think the script lack the heart of the First Avenger, the raw emotional drama of feuding brothers of Thor and of course Iron Man origin film is a gold standard for origin films. 

• Like 2

Larson was terrific, IMO.

BTW, here's Kevin Feige addressing the issues about CM's power level:

Well, the point of this movie was to see her exactly as you said, unleashed, unchained. What happens when she taps into her full potential not being held back? So it was not the time to hold back. It was not the time to emphasize limitations or loss. We’d seen that over the course of the rest of the movie.

We wanted to see her cut loose. In future stories, well, none of the Marvel characters are immortal. Even ones that seem immortal, some people might be very hard to kill, but nobody’s unkillable.

So if we’re lucky enough to see future adventures with Captain Marvel, of course there will be limitations and there will be Achilles heels and there will be things that we learn and see that it’s not as easy as a slicing through whatever she wants to at any point. But this wasn’t the time to accentuate that.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, dashrendar44 said:

Poor Toby Kebbell...People probably thought that was Andy Serkis.

Even when he actually faced Andy Serkis, people still probably thought that was Andy Serkis.

Terry Notary played Kong; Kebbell only provided some facial references for the VFX team

• Like 1

My wife and I saw it last night.  It's one of my wife's favorite MCU movies, and I put it in the top one-third.  Neither of us thought her performance was in any way stiff or wooden; my wife jumped to the conclusion that people who say that are expecting more overt emotional displays from a woman than from a man, but I'm willing to believe it's just a genuine, non gender based assessment of her performance.

There were certainly some gaping plot holes that didn't need to be there-- 

Spoiler

everyone just believing the Skrulls' version of events with no real proof and only spotty circumstantial evidence felt really contrived and lazy

-- and the action slowed for too long in the 3rd act.  But it delivered more or less exactly what I want and expect out of an MCU movie.  I thought it was better than Black Panther, where the notion that the most technologically advanced society on the planet determines its leader by primitive combat and then obeys that leader with no checks and balances to be so blatantly racist and unbelievable that I was distracted for most of the rest of the movie just wrestling with it.  But I rooted hard for BP and was really happy at its success and at the obvious joy that it brought to so many people, particularly African Americans.  In the same vein, I would like to think that people who don't enjoy CM as much as they might have hoped would still appreciate the value of having a strong female hero for girls to idolize, and hope that she is handled more to their liking in future movies.

Edited by andrewgr
typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, andrewgr said:

My wife and I saw it last night.  It's one of my wife's favorite MCU movies, and I put it in the top one-third.  Neither of us thought her performance was in any way stiff or wooden; my wife jumped to the conclusion that people who say that are expecting more overt emotional displays from a woman than from a man, but I'm willing to believe it's just a genuine, non gender based assessment of her performance.

There were certainly some gaping plot holes that didn't need to be there-- 

Hide contents

everyone just believing the Skrulls' version of events with no real proof and only spotty circumstantial evidence felt really contrived and lazy

-- and the action slowed for too long in the 3rd act.  But it delivered more or less exactly what I want and expect out of an MCU movie.  I thought it was better than Black Panther, where the notion that the most technologically advanced society on the planet determines its leader by primitive combat and then obeys that leader with no checks and balances to be so blatantly racist and unbelievable that I was distracted for most of the rest of the movie just wrestling with it.  But I rooted hard for BP and was really happy at its success and at the obvious joy that it brought to so many people, particularly African Americans.  In the same vein, I would like to think that people who don't enjoy CM as much as they might have hoped would still appreciate the value of having a strong female hero for girls to idolize, and hope that she is handled more to their liking in future movies.

I mean, she gave them a chance to prove it. They played the recording, she got her memory back. That pretty much confirmed it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, justvision said:

Very strange argument, and revisionalist, as if to say in hindsight that when a movie does not do well, it was meant to be a fan service and not to gain new audience and further contribute to its cinematic world. What an irony to the tagline of "higher,   further , faster"? Lol.

And this is the point. The Avengers and A:IW gained massive new audience for Marvel Studio all over the world despite much harder to follow because they are very good and highly engaging, and made the characters stick. Ironically some solo origin movies that are largely self contained contribute much less because they are mediocre.

Lol. I will rest my case as I suspect we are in different quantum realms and we watched different The Avengers movie. 

Why would I need to justify Captain Marvel's poor performance when its doing great at the box office?  It opened with 457M globally, better than nearly any other MCU movie.

And you know, people can watch to same movie and come out with different experiences, its not that strange.  I'm getting the take from this video, and I found that my experience mostly matched what he was saying.  If you came away from it with something else, that's fine, but you don't need to to act like I'm an idiot for having a different experience than you.

• Like 3