Eric the Ape

CAPTAIN MARVEL WEEKEND THREAD l $153M DOM (3rd-biggest March opening), $455M WW (6th biggest WW opening) l Other weekend #s: Dragon 14.7, Madea 12, Lego 3.8, Alita 3.2

Frozen shocked me not just because of its box office (over $1B for an original movie is nuts...btw I know it’s based on a story but you get what I mean) but because of its cultural impact too. That movie and those characters were EVERYWHERE for years. Let It Go was a huge hit and also a meme. People from all ages were obssesed with that film and the characters. It caught me off guard. 

Edited by Nova

3 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

WW, Frozen was one of the biggest surprises of the decade for me. Basically doubled my expectations (was expecting around Tangled numbers at best). 

Frozen is the biggest surprise of the decade for me. I've never expected it to become a phenomenon. Although there came a time when I became really annoyed whenever I hear kids sing Let It Go. Thoughts running through my head are "again? stop it! stop it!". Lol. I was also pleasantly surprised by the Frozen 2 teaser. I think it will do another billion.

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

Frozen shocked me not just because of its box office (over $1B for an original movie is nuts...btw I know it’s based on a story but you get what I mean) but because of its cultural impact too. That movie and those characters were EVERYWHERE for years. Let It Go was a huge hit and also a meme. People from all ages were obssesed with that film and the characters. It caught me off guard. 

yeah the cultural impact of Frozen is way bigger than things like Avengers even though at the box office the avengers obviously make a lot more money and sell more tickets. but the impact on average people outside of the movies respective audiences, is way bigger fro mFrozen.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, UserHN said:

Frozen is the biggest surprise of the decade for me. I've never expected it to become a phenomenon. Although there came a time when I became really annoyed whenever I hear kids sing Let It Go. Thoughts running through my head are "again? stop it! stop it!". Lol. I was also pleasantly surprised by the Frozen 2 teaser. I think it will do another billion.

And not counting Titanic, the most surprising OS run I've possibly ever seen was Frozen making $250 million in Japan. Considering Japan's annual box office is roughly 1/6 the size, that would be like a film grossing $1.5 billion domestically.

2 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

And not counting Titanic, the most surprising OS run I've possibly ever seen was Frozen making $250 million in Japan. Considering Japan's annual box office is roughly 1/6 the size, that would be like a film grossing $1.5 billion domestically.

yes that's a huge amount. although it does happen. Your Name grossed $250M as well only two years after frozen. there have been other animated films that do $200M in japan.

4 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

And it did that off a $7M OW. Talk about a WOM giant 

19 minutes ago, UserHN said:

Frozen's box office run will be the greatest run of this decade, even if Frozen 2 did 2b, that crown will never be replaced. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Disney does like to over predict those Sunday drops

i still think 160 could happen i mean even if it misses it probably will be by 3 mill ,actuals could push it

Edited by john2000
  • Haha 1

Just now, titanic2187 said:

Frozen's box office run will be the greatest run of this decade, even if Frozen 2 did 2b, that crown will never be replaced. 

Force Awakens?

1 hour ago, RealLyre said:

after IW, I'll def say Dr Strange is more popular than T'Challa.

Dr.Strange 2 will probably make a billion

I definitely would not say that. Strange got a huge boost after IW, sure but I didn't and I still don't see many people clamoring to see him in his own movie. T'Challa may have been overshadowed a bit in BP but that says less about his popularity and more about how amazing the supporting cast is. Best supporting cast in any solo MCU movie, no doubt. 

Just now, Avatree said:

yes that's a huge amount. although it does happen. Your Name grossed $250M as well only two years after frozen. there have been other animated films that do $200M in japan.

True, but for a Hollywood animation to reach those heights was completely unprecedented. At the time, only Miyazaki's films had that kind of potential. Here are the all-time highest admissions for animated films in Japan. As you can see, Frozen more than doubled the highest Hollywood animation.

Most Attended Animated Films of All-Time

01 :: 23.50 million - Spirited Away (2001)
02 :: 20.03 million - Frozen (2014)
03 :: 19.30 million - Your Name. (2016) 
04 :: 15.50 million - Howl's Moving Castle (2004)
05 :: 14.20 million - Princess Mononoke (1997)

06 :: 12.87 million - Ponyo (2008)
07 :: 9.72 million - The Wind Rises (2013)
08 :: 8.60 million - Finding Nemo (2003)

2 minutes ago, UserHN said:

Deadline is predicting $157M. I think Disney will go for $150M.

in my opinion that would be a weird drop but yes its disney probavly the will say 150 and then next day oh well it hits 155 or something like that