Eric Duncan

CAPTAIN MARVEL WEEKEND THREAD l $153M DOM (3rd-biggest March opening), $455M WW (6th biggest WW opening) l Other weekend #s: Dragon 14.7, Madea 12, Lego 3.8, Alita 3.2

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

NOT A RECORD

Fun looking at the predictions for o/w a few months before as well

Maybe, it is me. I just don't see this film being successful in the future. The whole idea of a team-up superhero seems lame and unoriginal. Why would audience be interested and go see a super hero film like this? It seems like a mix-mash idea. The comic book fans will obviously see it, but it will not draw in mainstream audicens like many on here believe. I see at the most 275 million for it. Why would it make more if Captain America and Thor didn't even cross 200 mil?OW 80 MilDomestic 275 milWW 525 Mil

I think that @FilmBuff post is quite reasonable. At the time of posting there was no box office data to suggest the 600M run that it ended up having.

2 minutes ago, Avatree said:

I think that @FilmBuff post is quite reasonable. At the time of posting there was no box office data to suggest the 600M run that it ended up having.

But there was little suggesting it would make less than the first two Iron Mans either.

Edited by cookie

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

NOT A RECORD

Fun looking at the predictions for o/w a few months before as well

Maybe, it is me. I just don't see this film being successful in the future. The whole idea of a team-up superhero seems lame and unoriginal. Why would audience be interested and go see a super hero film like this? It seems like a mix-mash idea. The comic book fans will obviously see it, but it will not draw in mainstream audicens like many on here believe. I see at the most 275 million for it. Why would it make more if Captain America and Thor didn't even cross 200 mil?OW 80 MilDomestic 275 milWW 525 Mil

I wish @Cochofles was still here so we could quote her prediction til the end of time. 

Didnt she predict 80m total???

1 minute ago, Avatree said:

FB predicted it doing lower than IM & IM2 numbers.

Regardless, reasonable or not the -   The whole idea of a team-up superhero seems lame and unoriginal. Why would audience be interested and go see a super hero film like this? It seems like a mix-mash idea - is right up there with cars will never be a thing because we have horses.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

FB predicted it doing lower than IM & IM2 numbers.

Regardless, reasonable or not the -   The whole idea of a team-up superhero seems lame and unoriginal. Why would audience be interested and go see a super hero film like this? It seems like a mix-mash idea - is right up there with cars will never be a thing because we have horses.

Easy to say with hindsight.

I remember fans said the film would do what the solo films did combined and people laughing at it and then the film made more than all combined worldwide :ohmygod:

JW and TFA stole all The Avengers OW sizzle but it'll forever be my fave for that validation plus I've been a big Whedon fan for 2 decades now.

Edited by eddyxx

16 hours ago, Taruseth said:

So with a $61.4M and (20.7M Preview and 40.7M True Friday) will CM open above or below THG.

51 (+22.8% / -16.9%)

40 (-21.6%)

152.4M (which would be 150k below THG)

With

3 hours ago, Rthmar-vell said:

Going with sat CM 53, HTTYD3 6.670m,MFF 5.7, LM 1.8m, ABA 1.4m

That would mean something like

53 (+30.2% / -13.7%)

42 (-20.8%)

156.4M (which would be 3.85M above THG)and #17 opening (THG:CF is higher 158M), right now Rogue One is 155M is #17.

8 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

$80m opening and she held on to that right into opening week, post second trailer, Super Bowl Ad and tracking.  It was a glorious train wreck.

Oh yeah 😂 The $80m opening day was just too perfect. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Also why is everyone forgetting that before Dr. Strange released Feige said it was going to be him who would be new face of MCU 

I think its the right of promotion shortly before the release to say 'the' new face, if its 'a' new face. He is probably the first shown new face and as such its in a promotional wa o.K. I think 😉 (in a nor really seriously meant wa)

I am pretty sure he will be one of them, BP, CM,... as well

5 minutes ago, Avatree said:

I didn't know Cochofles left the forum.

'left'? Send packing might be the corect term, she is banned

Fairly sure Doctor Strange isn't even in the 3 main new faces of the MCU post-Phase 3 honestly at this point. T'Challa, Spidey, and Captain Marvel are definitely the new main three for now.

32 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I will never stop bringing up the great Aquaman and Mary Poppins battle on Twitter. Everybody is wrong so I have no issue with people being wrong about predictions but the smugness from certain people who wanted Aquaman to fell and there by propped up Mary Poppins Returns will not be forgotten by me any time soon. 

Agreed. it was such an epic flop that should be brought up over and over!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

I remember fans said the film would do what the solo films did combined and people laughing at it and then the film made more than all combined worldwide :ohmygod:

give credit where credit is due. it wasn't fans, it was just one fan, that guy BRK or something. I remember when people on this forum reposted his calculation which was something like IM OW + Hulk OW + Thor OW + Cap OW = 600M OW

Just now, Mulder said:

Fairly sure Doctor Strange isn't even in the 3 main new faces of the MCU post-Phase 3 honestly at this point. T'Challa, Spidey, and Captain Marvel are definitely the new main three for now.

The thing is aside from CM the others aren't even "new" now unlike with the first Avengers where everyone had just been seen once except for Tony.  Now it's only Carol who's "new" and even by  Avengers 5 she might already have been in three movies.  

Whereas with the first Avengers, they were writing it before Thor came out and had finished filming it by the time CA: TFA came out & Hulk was re-cast.   Tony & Steve were co- leads b/c of their roles and dynamic as leaders in half a century of comics (that and Iron Man was huge and RDJ is a rockstar).  Even then Black Widow had the third most screen time in Avengers as a narrative and character choice for the film not based on the strength of her previous appearance in IM2 or the comics.

The new configuration of the Avengers will have several films from each of the members before it's even going to be written and all those appearances and films in all probability will strongly affect how it's written. 

• Like 2